Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 07:15 PM

7 posts, read 18,381 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone! My husband and I currently live in Cape Coral, FL. We are looking to relocate to the Syracuse area to be closer to family. We both grew up near the Syracuse area. My husband graduated from Cazenovia College and I went to Ithaca College..... so we know all about the snow! :-)

Right now, my husband and I are both employed full time. He works as a fourth grade teacher in an Elementary School and has been with the disrict for 7 years. I am a licensed clinical social worker and have done hospice work for the last four years. We both LOVE our jobs, but are very unhappy with FL in general. We are done with the heat, lack of community, and schools and neighborhoods that are not very child friendly (we have an 18 month old). We really miss seasons and hills!

We are very aware that the job market in the area for teachers is difficult at best. My husband will be starting his masters in special education this Spring and we hope to move at the end of next school year. Can anyone on here give us some honest advice on the prospects for him as a teacher and me as a licensed social worker? Do you think this move would very really risky for us at this time? We would not leave unless one of us secures full time employment first. Any thoughts, suggestions, advice would be wonderful! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 07:42 PM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
I believe that you have a better chance of getting employment in social work than he would as a teacher. Here are some listings for social work positions: Social Worker jobs in Syracuse, NY - Indeed Mobile

Perhaps you could find work with this organization at its Auburn or Syracuse locations: Results -- View

You may find something at these places too: Careers - Enable

Careers at Liberty Resources - Liberty Resources

Job Opportunities: Arc of Onondaga is the largest provider of services to people with developmental disabilities in Central New York, Syracuse NY and surrounding areas.

Here is another good website: Central New York Jobs

Old 10-04-2012, 09:23 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
He can't become a teacher in NY without a master's degree. He needs to research the NY teaching requirements. And his chances of teaching here are VERY slim. Teaching jobs are VERY far and few between.

Have you looked into your license in NY? Just because you're licensed in FL doesn't mean NY would honor it. NY has a number of funky laws regarding licenses for various occupations.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:40 AM

Thanks for the responses! We have already looked into all licensing and certifications. Since we are from NY, we have a good handle on it. NY has reciprocity with FL for social work if you meet certain requirements, and I do. As far as teaching, you have 5 yrs from the time you are hired in NY to get the masters degree. He is starting next semester so that shouldn't be a problem either. We were hoping since he is male in a really female dominated field and would be dually certified in elementary Ed and special Ed, he may have a chance.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:40 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
As far as teaching, you have 5 yrs from the time you are hired in NY to get the masters degree. He is starting next semester so that shouldn't be a problem either. We were hoping since he is male in a really female dominated field and would be dually certified in elementary Ed and special Ed, he may have a chance.
That 5 years doesn't always start when you start teaching. For my sister-in-law it started the day she got her provisional license which she got right after graduation. Most people can't find teaching jobs without a master's degree. Just because he's male doesn't mean he'll have an easy time finding a job.

I know at least a dozen people who have teaching degrees and can't find a job and haven't been able to for years. Teachers here are being laid off every year. I know someone who's a high school math teacher who has been laid off from 3 different schools in the last 4 years. She finally got tenure and was let go that end of the year. And math is one of the subjects they say there aren't enough teachers for. Elementary school teachers are a dime a dozen in this area due to St Rose and SUNY Oneonta.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:27 AM

Ok, thanks for that feedback! If we make the move he may have to look into a different field. He has a professional license in fl which converts into a provisional when he applies for it. He then has 5 yrs to get the masters. A friend of ours just got hired this year without her masters near Syracuse. She must have been very lucky I guess!

Old 10-06-2012, 12:32 PM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Ok, thanks for that feedback! If we make the move he may have to look into a different field. He has a professional license in fl which converts into a provisional when he applies for it. He then has 5 yrs to get the masters. A friend of ours just got hired this year without her masters near Syracuse. She must have been very lucky I guess!
There are instances where people get hired and they pursue their Masters degree while teaching. I believe that Baldwinsville may even have program where they will help you get your graduate degree, as a friend from college did that.

You may find some with a residential school, which Hillside has in Auburn.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:50 PM

655 posts, read 2,328,492 times
Quote:
Hello Everyone! My husband and I currently live in Cape Coral, FL. We are looking to relocate to the Syracuse area to be closer to family. We both grew up near the Syracuse area. My husband graduated from Cazenovia College and I went to Ithaca College..... so we know all about the snow! :-)

Right now, my husband and I are both employed full time. He works as a fourth grade teacher in an Elementary School and has been with the disrict for 7 years. I am a licensed clinical social worker and have done hospice work for the last four years. We both LOVE our jobs, but are very unhappy with FL in general. We are done with the heat, lack of community, and schools and neighborhoods that are not very child friendly (we have an 18 month old). We really miss seasons and hills!

We are very aware that the job market in the area for teachers is difficult at best. My husband will be starting his masters in special education this Spring and we hope to move at the end of next school year. Can anyone on here give us some honest advice on the prospects for him as a teacher and me as a licensed social worker? Do you think this move would very really risky for us at this time? We would not leave unless one of us secures full time employment first. Any thoughts, suggestions, advice would be wonderful! Thanks!
Hello saramc & husband,

School teacher? Wow they've been cutting those left and right here. Classroom teacher-assistants; long gone. It wouldn't be easy to find a teaching job at most places up here at the present time and probably into the future for a few years. School taxes on properties here have become atrocious and I would expect a lot of school budgets to be voted DOWN into the future, therefore no new teachers. It will not matter that your husband is a male teacher; that will not be of any advantage to him.

In the past, I know it was more difficult for very-rural school districts to attract teachers to teach out in those rural countryside locations quite-far-distant from any nearby sizeable city. You probably don't want to live 50-60 miles away from a sizeable city but if you would NOT object to living in a very-rural location then maybe your husband could apply at those rural school districts like: Edmeston S.D.-NY, Harrisville S.D.-NY, Beaver River S.D.@Beaver Falls-NY, South Lewis S.D.@Turin-NY, Adirondack S.D.@Boonville-NY, Town of Webb S.D.@Old Forge-NY, Long Lake S.D.-NY, Clifton-Fine S.D.@Star Lake-NY, Edwards-Knox S.D.@Russell-NY, Parishville-Hopkinton S.D.@Parishville-NY, Hammond S.D.-NY, Heuvelton S.D.-NY, and maybe other very rural school districts. Other types of employment in these very rural countryside locations will be very difficult to find. So if your husband accepts a job at a rural school distict and then gets his job CUT, neither of you will (easily or at all) find new employment so be very careful as to what you decide to do. It might be best for the two of you to relocate close to Metro Syracuse and possibly find jobs near there and your husband find a job in a different line of work at least until the economy recovers. I do not recommend you to move here unless you have at least one good paying job given to you BEFORE you move here.

When I lived in Orlando, I knew a middle-school teacher from Naples-FL and he said that he would not qualify to teach in New York State as a lot of other Florida teachers would not qualify to teach in NYS either.

Sara, you would more likely find a job associated or along your line of work at the Metro Syracuse area than will your husband in the teaching profession.

You are correct. It is much better if one of you have a decent good paying job given to you BEFORE you make the big move to New York State.

Best of luck to you.

grdnrman

Old 10-26-2012, 03:52 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,312 times
Social worker jobs are available. Teachers, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area