Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 05:45 PM

9 posts, read 23,496 times

Advertisements

In my search for short term rentals...
I've not been in the area for over 6 years and when I was, I lived in Seneca Falls and drove to Syracuse for work. This time around I'm going to try to rent in the Syracuse area and search for where we'd like to live closer to the city.
What places do I want to avoid in Syracuse? Hopefully I'll be able to bring the dogs and this means I'll be out and about in the early mornings and late evenings walking them and would like to do this without worry.
So what areas of Syracuse and other areas/towns do I want to avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 06:12 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Where would you be working? What are you looking for in a neighborhood/community?

In a general sense, the inner neighborhoods are/tend to be rougher, but to varying degrees and area sizes. Each side has outer neighborhoods that are fine to very nice. I'd say the East Side is generally the nicest side and the South Side is the most notorious. This information can give you some idea too: Housing and Trees Planted-to-date in Syracuse, New York | Syracuse Community Geography

http://syracuselandbank.org/wp-conte...ghborhoods.pdf

With all of this said, this comes down to the questions mentioned above and keep in mind that the city of Syracuse is only 25 square miles. So, a first ring suburb here is like a middle/outer ring city neighborhood in other regions.

I will repeat, that if this is serious, think about what you are looking for in terms of criteria.

Also, where would you be coming from?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-18-2014 at 06:26 PM..

Old 08-18-2014, 07:07 PM

9 posts, read 23,496 times
For rental - I'm looking for something that is month to month, so that limits me right there.
Then I want a decent kitchen where I don't have to stack stuff on top of each other to make a meal - so more limiting.
Beyond that, I'm looking for a safe area to be out walking with my dogs on my own.
I'll be working in Syracuse and E Syracuse, but mostly E Syracuse. I'd like to be 30 mins or less from work, but for a great rental, I'll drive further.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:08 PM

A couple of places on this list may work: All Syracuse Real Estate and Relocation by Syracuse Homes - Syracuse Short-Term Accommodations and Rentals

This is another list: https://syracuse.craigslist.org/search/sub?query=+

More info: Looking for a short-term lease apartment

temporary or short-term family housing

Looking for short term apartment near Syracuse

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-18-2014 at 08:40 PM..

Old 08-19-2014, 08:46 PM

19 posts, read 30,491 times
Basically, avoid the entire City for your own safety. The suburbs are fine.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:38 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tyler View Post
...only if you're paranoid.

There are quite a few perfectly safe neighborhoods in the city - just as there are neighborhoods I would avoid in some suburbs.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:04 AM

865 posts, read 2,162,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tyler View Post
There are some bad parts - I can agree with you there. But not the entire city.

Anything within city limits west of I81 and north of 173 - definitely avoid.

The area along East Genesee to Erie Blvd East near Time Warner, etc - avoid.

Northside has a little crime near Lodi / Salina but isn't terribly bad (I think the diversity scares people away).

Comstock Neighborhood / Westcott / University isn't too bad as long as you avoid the partying college kids.

Eastwood is very nice.

Tipp Hill isn't bad as long as you distance yourself from the south side.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
There are some bad parts - I can agree with you there. But not the entire city.

Anything within city limits west of I81 and north of 173 - definitely avoid.

The area along East Genesee to Erie Blvd East near Time Warner, etc - avoid.

Northside has a little crime near Lodi / Salina but isn't terribly bad (I think the diversity scares people away).

Comstock Neighborhood / Westcott / University isn't too bad as long as you avoid the partying college kids.

Eastwood is very nice.

Tipp Hill isn't bad as long as you distance yourself from the south side.
Actually, Strathmore and Winkworth in the SW corner are both very nice neighborhoods that are west of 81 and north of 173. Some of the neighborhoods north of 173 that are west of Valley Drive and east of South Salina up to about Ballantyne are fine/alright too. While very working class/blue collar, the West End is OK/alright too(north of West Genesee and west of Erie Boulevard West/West Fayette). Franklin Square is also west of 81. Elmwood around Elmwood Park/south of Glenwood is alright and is nicer the further up the hill you go(Mitchell, Lynch, etc).

Old 08-25-2014, 10:05 AM

865 posts, read 2,162,672 times
Is Strathmore in the city? Or is that part of Onondaga? Avoiding what would be considered the "south side" is my pain point.

OCC, Strathmore those areas are pretty nice. commuter hell as they really aren't convenient to any highway, but nice houses and area.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
Is Strathmore in the city? Or is that part of Onondaga? Avoiding what would be considered the "south side" is my pain point.

OCC, Strathmore those areas are pretty nice. commuter hell as they really aren't convenient to any highway, but nice houses and area.
Strathmore and about half to 2/3rds of Winkworth are within city limits. Corcoran High, the South Side high school is actually in that area(essentially west of South and Onondaga Aves and south of Bellevue/West Onondaga Aves, give or take a little and into the town of Onondaga).

As for highway access, it will depend on where you work. If you lived there and worked in the Northern suburbs, you would go either to Exit 17 or take either Brighton Ave and catch I-81 at 481. From Onondaga Hill, where OCC is, you can take Seneca Turnpike across the Valley or take Exit 17. You could possibly take Velasko Road/Avery Ave, take a right onto West Genesee, take a left before Harrison Bakery/across from Sacred Heart/the Academy of Science, take a right onto Hiawatha Boulevard and take a left onto I-81.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-25-2014 at 10:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area