Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 11:27 PM

58 posts, read 241,190 times

Advertisements

Thank you! Fayetteville doesnt sound as quaint as we had hoped for. Outlet malls take away the charm. My parents are in the middle of now researching Oswego. I may have to stop them in their tracks.....a nuclear power plant wont go over well with mom. She is a naturalpath; very leary of all things radioactive! Ive told them about Baldwinsville, we have heard other good things about it there. Keep the comments coming, they are apprecitaed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 11:32 PM

58 posts, read 241,190 times
Does anyone have any thoughts about cooperstown or saratoga springs. These places were brought up by a co worker.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:30 AM

33 posts, read 175,894 times
I thought Saratoga Springs was charming, if my husband had taken a job in Albany we were going to move there. The main reason we moved to Syracuse instead was to be closer to his family.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:05 PM

3 posts, read 6,814 times
I live in Glens Falls, NY. That is just North of Saratoga Springs by about 15 miles. Saratoga is very busy in the summer because of the Horse racing tracks but the area and lake are just fabulous. It has a kind of old Victorian feeling to it and there are alot of little shops on the main drag thru the city. It's not a huge city but it isn't a small town either. There are malls and grocery stores close by.

Glens Falls is a city known as Hometown USA. It is in the foothills of the Adirondacks and just 10 miles south of Lake George. We have traveled a lot and always came home to Glens Falls. We couldn't stand living anywhere else. We are a small city with a huge heart. We are only about 2 to 2 1/2 hrs. south of Montreal, Canada and 3-4 hrs. north of NY City. We are the place to flock to in the summer months to get out of the heat and confusion of NY City.

Good luck to your parents and I hope they find just the place they are looking for.
Barb

Old 09-08-2008, 07:52 AM

5 posts, read 36,110 times
Haven't been to Cooperstown in years, but in my several visits there some years ago, it always struck me--a former small-towner myself--as a great, cozy place to live (except maybe on Baseball Hall-of-Fame induction weekends!). Also, Cazenovia is a very quaint, slightly upscale village, with ready access to a lake.

Skaneateles, of course, is beautiful, but I think you could find a wealth of other possibilities--perhaps not as chic but just as picturesque--all along the Finger Lakes.
Saratoga Springs is nice, but quite a hopping place in the summer. I guess it depends on whether they want quaint and quiet or quaint and trendy/chic. I would put Skaneateles and Saratoga Springs in that last category.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:46 PM

93,391 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Some more towns to check out are:Hamilton, Clinton, Tully, Trumansburg, Penn Yan, Sackets Harbor, Hammondsport, Watkins Glen and Richfield Springs.

By the way, Fayetteville doesn't have an outlet mall. It's actually called the Towne Centre at Fayetteville:COR Companies (http://www.corcompanies.com/index2.html - broken link) (click on properties and the Towne Centre of Fayetteville).

Old 09-15-2008, 05:22 PM

37 posts, read 132,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Some more towns to check out are:Hamilton, Clinton, Tully, Trumansburg, Penn Yan, Sackets Harbor, Hammondsport, Watkins Glen and Richfield Springs.

By the way, Fayetteville doesn't have an outlet mall. It's actually called the Towne Centre at Fayetteville:COR Companies (http://www.corcompanies.com/index2.html - broken link) (click on properties and the Towne Centre of Fayetteville).

Watkins Glen is a great little town. Except for the two weekends that the IRL and NASCAR have a race at the track south of the village. Cazenovia is a nice little village on a small lake. The closest thing to corporate companies there is the P&C Grocery Store down Rt 20.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:17 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,760,139 times
Look up Cazenovia. It sounds like that would best fit what they're looking for.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:57 PM

142 posts, read 811,368 times
Saratoga has lots of beautiful homes in a small city setting. Skidmore college offers a lot of cultural activities, as does SPAC. It is also the summer home of the NYC Ballet. Great shopping too. My parents split their time between Manhattan and Saratoga. My mom is into Farmers markets, poetry and attending cultural events like book readings, etc. Her biggest complaint is the increased population during August.

Having spent much time in both Skaneateles and Saratoga, I have to say, they are very different. Skaneateles is much quieter. But I love both places and could be happy living in either.
Good luck with your parents. If they want more info about Saratoga, just let me know and I'll ask my mom.

Joanne

Old 02-04-2009, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,558 times
Talking Lake Placid, NY

If money is no object and they want a quaint little town that looks like it is right out of a movie, they should look into Lake Placid, NY in the Adirondacks. It is a small town with a lot of energy though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area