Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2010, 02:20 AM

48 posts, read 171,235 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband wants to move back to NY. He's originally from upstate and I grew up on Long Island. We currently live in Utah and I love the dry climate and 250+ sunny days a year. We get about 60" of snow in the winter and rarely see black ice. I've heard so many things about how bad the winters are in Syracuse and the surrounding suburbs that it worries me. I don't know much about lake effect snow...is it wet and heavy?

One of my concerns is that I used to get really bad migraines all the time when I lived in lower NY and I wonder how often it's cloudy and rainy in the Syracuse area. And how humid and hot are the summers? If there are any migraine sufferers I'd like to hear from you!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 07:38 AM

99 posts, read 281,777 times
You know those 250 days of sunshine you get in Utah? Well, that's about how many days of clouds, snow and rain you'll see in Syracuse! I love Syracuse and miss it terribly, but I see more sunny days in WI than I ever did in Syr. Winters can be hard but if you are prepared it won't be too bad. Don't let the weather deter you from going there - Syracuse has alot of offer and the summers are, for the most part, comfortable. There are hot and humid days but not like Florida would have. Just crank up the AC and you'll be fine. Can't help with the migraine issue - I get sinus headaches during the cold months but they don't reach migraine level. Usually 2 advil and turning up the heat will help me. Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by syrnative; 02-05-2010 at 07:50 AM..

Old 02-05-2010, 12:19 PM

3,514 posts, read 9,429,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmusaf View Post
I don't know much about lake effect snow...is it wet and heavy?
Lake Effect snow is generally light and fluffy with a low water content. That's why it adds up so quickly.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:35 PM

3,514 posts, read 9,429,882 times
Average number of sunny/partly cloudy weeks per month**
November: 1 week of sunny/partly cloudy days..................... (roughly 7 days)
December: 1 week of sunny/partly cloudy days..................... (roughly 7 days)
January: 1 and half weeks of sunny days/partly cloudy days.... (roughly 9 days)
February: 1 and half weeks of sunny days/partly cloudy days... (roughly 10 days)
March: 2 weeks of sunny days/partly cloudy days.................. (roughly 13 days)
April: 2 weeks of sunny days/partly cloudy days.................... (roughly 15 days)
May: 2 weeks of sunny days/partly cloudy days...................... (roughly 16 days)
June: 2 and half weeks of sunny days/partly cloudy days......... (roughly 18 days)
July: Almost 3 weeks of sunny days/partly cloudy days............. (roughly 20 days)
August: 2 and half weeks of sunny days/partly cloudy days....... (roughly 18 days)
September: 2 and half weeks of sunny days/partly cloudy days. (roughly 16 days)
October: Almost 2 weeks of sunny days/partly cloudy days....... (roughly 11 days)

**Info is from the Storm Team Calendar (NC9 in Syracuse)

Of course these are the averages. Some years you'll see more sunny days/partly cloudy days, some years less sunny days per month. All depending on the weather pattern.

Keep in mind that these sunny and partly cloudy days do not include the 30+ days during the year where the sun comes out an hour or two before sunset. Which seems to happen a lot here.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:58 PM

8 posts, read 20,294 times
See the Syracuse NY profile page on this site for weather information. There are several graphs with show precipitation, sunshine, snowfall, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area