Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2009, 08:45 AM

845 posts, read 1,688,694 times

Advertisements

I don't have satellite or cable and 95% or more of my viewing is done via Blu-Ray and DVD. But I did get a digital set-top converter for the TV in my bedroom and have played with it a bit. My very elderly father has now deployed his as well and I'm trying to get him some answers - perhaps based in part on consensus of other people's experiences.

He was initially able to get all of the local channels (3,5,9,24,43,68) although there were two different positions in which he had to point the antennae of the rabbit ears. Now... a few weeks later... he can't get Chanel 3 no matter what he does.

Prior to digital I could get no more than 1 or 2 local analogue channels with rabbit ears in my Bradford Hills location. Now I can get most of them with excellent picture quality if I experiment with positioning. They (my parents) are on a hill on Euclid Ave with a better line of sight to the transmitters that are south of the city. Prior to digital he could get all the local channels nicely but is now quite frustrated with his Channel 3 issues. At age 87 he has serious mobility issues and TV viewing choice/flexibility is a big deal.

My questions are as follows:

1) Have you tried a set top converter box yet and is your reception better, not as good or the same?

2) If you were able to get channel 3 digital at first... do you still get it now or not?

3) Is there a difference in quality between different brands of digital converters? My dad is convinced that if he buys a better converter (his is a Motorola) it will help but I'm skeptical.

4) Can or do the TV broadcasters change or tweak the signal strength of digital transmissions? I know they can subdivide their allocated amount of bandwidth and have multiple channels where they used to have only one - which means some of them may have lower bit rate and reduced resolution quality. But the transmission strength shoudl be the same - correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 09:05 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,793,315 times
Some DTV stations moved their DIGITAL signals after the transition. If you re-scan they might re-appear.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:18 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Also you can call WCNY-24 and they will answer you questions. I know it was listed on their site for only tis weekend, but I think it would be worth a try: WCNY TV FM - Connected to YOU - Public Television - Guide to Digital TV and Radio (http://www.wcny.org/content/section/18/235/ - broken link)

Old 06-15-2009, 09:19 AM

Thanks for the tip - I pop over there and try it for him after work.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:34 AM

727 posts, read 1,534,148 times
You should be able to use your old rabbit ears connected to the STB. It also depends on where you live as well. The digital transition also makes it possible to make their signal directional. My knowledge of the Syracuse market is limited, but if you go to www.dtv.gov/maps you can get a list and signal strength of channels in your market.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:21 AM

81 posts, read 231,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaelon56 View Post
My questions are as follows:

1) Have you tried a set top converter box yet and is your reception better, not as good or the same?
This is going to vary for nearly everybody. The converter will likely have little to do with your quality. It's going to be based more on signal strength, antenna size/alignment, and where you are located.

Quote:
2) If you were able to get channel 3 digital at first... do you still get it now or not?
Can't say...though it may have moved on you (to 24) due to the transition. At least, that is for WSTM (NBC affiliate), assuming this is the same channel 3 you're referencing.

Quote:
3) Is there a difference in quality between different brands of digital converters? My dad is convinced that if he buys a better converter (his is a Motorola) it will help but I'm skeptical.
It isn't impossible...but most likely wouldnt be the difference in reason for "working vs. not-working". For the other channels, I'd be extremely surprised to see a difference. I can't say for sure in this instance, but many manufacturers use the same decoding boards from the same board makers and merely slap their cover and a few little "features" on top...it wouldn't surprise me if this is the case here as well.

Quote:
4) Can or do the TV broadcasters change or tweak the signal strength of digital transmissions? I know they can subdivide their allocated amount of bandwidth and have multiple channels where they used to have only one - which means some of them may have lower bit rate and reduced resolution quality. But the transmission strength shoudl be the same - correct?
In a very general sense, yes. But many have moved their tranmitting tower, RF channel, and even the emitting radius of their broadcast antenna...and some have done all 3. Difficult to say "on the whole", but yes, they would have intended to continue covering the same radius they covered before...but there are exceptions.

I'd second the re-scan advice, and also second the advice for checking out the individual network affiliate websites. If that doesn't get you where you'd like, I'd call them...best to call now while they're expecting it than to wait.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:15 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,272,325 times
Radio Shack also sells a rooftop digital antenna that you might want to ask them about.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:57 AM

Rescan did the trick - thanks! My dad now gets all local channels and, surprisingly enough, with a rescan at my house there I now get nearly all channels with the rabbit ears in one position instead of having to move them around.

As for "digital" antennas - that's a marketing gimmick that Radio Shack and other companies are using. There have always been antennas designed for VHF - the frequency traditionally used for most analogue broadcasts (e.g. the old local 3,5 and 9) as well as UHF antennas (I think 24 and 68 were always broadcast in the UHF band). Digital is broadcast all in the UHF band and most older rooftop antennas were targeted at VHF. I actually acquired a directional UHF antenna to mount on the upper back side of my house where the Dish used to be but have to get off my b*tt and install it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
View detailed profiles of: