Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 06:08 PM

50 posts, read 188,404 times

Advertisements

I am reporting now from Florida. My family decided they wanted to spend a week here for winter break. Its hell. Have spent more time in the car than even sleeping--traffic is horrendous. Have visited more half-full strip malls than I have ever seen in my life. Eaten more bad meals. And rudest people I have ever met.

Plus side: temps are (slightly) higher than CNY and we were able to go to the beach (once).

Other than that, we can't wait to go home to good ol' Cuse and not come back to this god-foresaken place for awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 06:16 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
LOL - I have to admit that your experience was almost exactly my impression, as an 8 year old. Maybe some of us central NYers just don't know a good time, when we see it.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:50 PM

127 posts, read 324,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcity View Post
I apologize if I misunderstood your initial point. My mind is telling me that your opinion is that Orlando is better than Miami based on your post.

Here is how I got that idea:
To paraphrase, "Miami is bad."
"orlando is good and beach is within 45 minutes."

If you don't feel that Orlando is better than Miami you should offer some negatives about Orlando to counteract what you said about Miami. Otherwise are we to be psychic and realize you consider both places rqual even though you only have good things to say about Orlando?

Also, I believe you are arguing that you are only stating facts for comparisons. Let's look again at what you said:

This is only YOUR OPINION. Moderator cut: personal attack If you speak English you will do just fine in Miami. Stop propagating the idea that no one speaks English in Miami!

I definetely agree with everything said SDcity, and besides to all you NY haters why in the world u come to a SYRACUSE related bloq???? thats being

Old 03-11-2010, 09:58 PM

127 posts, read 324,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYDC View Post
I am reporting now from Florida. My family decided they wanted to spend a week here for winter break. Its hell. Have spent more time in the car than even sleeping--traffic is horrendous. Have visited more half-full strip malls than I have ever seen in my life. Eaten more bad meals. And rudest people I have ever met.

Plus side: temps are (slightly) higher than CNY and we were able to go to the beach (once).

Other than that, we can't wait to go home to good ol' Cuse and not come back to this god-foresaken place for awhile.

where were u? u better not b trashing my Miami pls LOL naw , i do hate when it gets super hot but right now it isn't i was just there last week and wheather was in low 60's i was pretty mad since i want warm sun in my face lol

Old 03-20-2010, 12:59 PM

4 posts, read 9,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolFL2NY View Post
Hi!
I am moving to syracuse for work around the middle of november, I really wanna know what to expect! I come from miami, where the sun its always on n the party too lol, i would like to move where the city fun is like downtown (its my 1st guest) but please help me i would like to know wat places are actually hip to live w,o being unsafe also, what can i expect as far the people goes, i have friends in NYC but noone in syracuse unfortunately, would i be lonely? or is there young ppl around?, also i'm looking to rent so i would like like one bedroom apartment where i can park and be safe at nite w.o losing the city's action, so please any recommendations where to look i would be thankful forever....
Hi Carol...

Moderator cut: realtor soliciting

I lived in Miami too for a while, and grew up just south of Syracuse. It is a world away it feels like, but we have a lot going on here too! It's a different atmosphere, but still fun! If you want to live near downtown there are a few places I can recommend...nut there are also a few fun communities that are just a short drive from downtown! What kind of budget do you think you will have for rent? Where are you working? Moderator cut: realtor soliciting Enjoy Miami for me this weekend...I miss it like crazy!!

Last edited by bellafinzi; 03-20-2010 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: realtor soliciting

Old 03-20-2010, 09:40 PM

406 posts, read 1,451,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx-Jr View Post
geez Uz guyz are really tough here.
Strip malls for the (New Yorker's who come here to vacation, and why do they stop here in these strip malls? Cause you have crap up there in your stores)
And Syracuse has what you want...well thats a pretty good answer.
And if the schools are that good, why is it they're not listed in even the top 100 schools? Why do you think Syracuse can't even recruit students for their football team? When was the last time Syracuse even made the top 25?
So I won't bother to mention The Gator's, or the Seminoles, or UCF Knight's, or the Miami Hurricane's Teams...............(sorry I needed another good laugh)
I invite you to direct me to a place in Central Florida that is not lousy with strip malls. The place is defined by them. There is nothing else. As far as quality of merchandise available, if you think the cheap Chinese junk in your strip malls is superior to the cheap Chinese junk available up here, there is not much hope that anything I will say will make a difference. And... if your definition of a good school is how good the football program is, we do have different definitions on what makes a good school. ( Basketball is another story, however. Go Orange!)

Old 03-24-2010, 12:28 PM

50 posts, read 188,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolFL2NY View Post
where were u? u better not b trashing my Miami pls LOL naw , i do hate when it gets super hot but right now it isn't i was just there last week and wheather was in low 60's i was pretty mad since i want warm sun in my face lol
We were on the west coast, near Sarasota. Downtown Sarasota was cool, but the rest I could do without.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:27 AM

15 posts, read 30,655 times
Default let me ask the Moderator, when was the last time you were at the miami airport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcity View Post
I apologize if I misunderstood your initial point. My mind is telling me that your opinion is that Orlando is better than Miami based on your post.

Here is how I got that idea:
To paraphrase, "Miami is bad."
"orlando is good and beach is within 45 minutes."

If you don't feel that Orlando is better than Miami you should offer some negatives about Orlando to counteract what you said about Miami. Otherwise are we to be psychic and realize you consider both places rqual even though you only have good things to say about Orlando?

Also, I believe you are arguing that you are only stating facts for comparisons. Let's look again at what you said:

This is only YOUR OPINION. Moderator cut: personal attack If you speak English you will do just fine in Miami. Stop propagating the idea that no one speaks English in Miami!
Furthermore, how many times have the moderator been to the Miami airport?
What is the knowledge of the reader's refering to let's say the Latiano population of Miami v/s Orlando. Orlando 's is approx. 200K. Miami 1.5 M.
I stated the entirety of the Latino population of Miami, meaning, Mexico, South America, Central American countries represented. Orlando, nearly all Puerto Rico. So yes, there's a huge difference of the cultural mix. Now, does that make either a bad place to live, in my personal opinion , Not at all.
I present the fact's here in and when I say go to a Fast food place to eat, and when yhey can't understand the english I speak to order, and they have to get someone who does understand english to take my order, and NOT just one place but wide spread, then yes, there's a problem. Now I know, that probably will cause an up roar herein, but that's the fact, it's the truth, and one some how lives another day.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:02 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,866,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx-Jr View Post
geez Uz guyz are really tough here.
Strip malls for the (New Yorker's who come here to vacation, and why do they stop here in these strip malls? Cause you have crap up there in your stores)
And Syracuse has what you want...well thats a pretty good answer.
And if the schools are that good, why is it they're not listed in even the top 100 schools? Why do you think Syracuse can't even recruit students for their football team? When was the last time Syracuse even made the top 25?
So I won't bother to mention The Gator's, or the Seminoles, or UCF Knight's, or the Miami Hurricane's Teams...............(sorry I needed another good laugh)
Tx-Jr - who are you trying to convince, us or yourself? If you have nothing good to say about CNY, then why are you on this forum? It seems you are trying to convince yourself of your decision to leave.

Also, you examples are very selective indeed, i.e. "Why do you think Syracuse can't even recruit students for their football team? When was the last time Syracuse even made the top 25?" It seems that Syracsue University Basketball and LaCrosse are having no problems recruiting. Despite last nights loss, Syracuse University has a powerful basketball team, not to mention their LaCrosse team which was the 2009 National Champions. As far as football, it is a work in progress.

As far as shopping goes, there are a number of half empty strip mall down here as you are well aware. Being a planner I know that Orlando, Miami Fort Lauderdale and other cities did nothing to plan their growth over the last 20 years. Granted Syracuse has problems. but it is transitioning. Just because someone is visiting Florida, does not mean they do not go shopping. It is no implication that Syracuse does not have good shopping. There are Canadians and other visitors who visit Syracuse who do shopping.

Don't even get me started on education which in Florida is underfunded, crime ridden and consistently ranked at the bottom of the academic spectrum.

I was excited about moving here eight years ago, but now I am not so sure and would consider an opportunity in CNY. Central and South Florida have no concept of planning. It is geared toward people like you who only care about widening roads to accomodate more traffic.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:16 AM

15 posts, read 30,655 times
Default well here we go again,

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Tx-Jr - who are you trying to convince, us or yourself? If you have nothing good to say about CNY, then why are you on this forum? It seems you are trying to convince yourself of your decision to leave.

Also, you examples are very selective indeed, i.e. "Why do you think Syracuse can't even recruit students for their football team? When was the last time Syracuse even made the top 25?" It seems that Syracsue University Basketball and LaCrosse are having no problems recruiting. Despite last nights loss, Syracuse University has a powerful basketball team, not to mention their LaCrosse team which was the 2009 National Champions. As far as football, it is a work in progress.

As far as shopping goes, there are a number of half empty strip mall down here as you are well aware. Being a planner I know that Orlando, Miami Fort Lauderdale and other cities did nothing to plan their growth over the last 20 years. Granted Syracuse has problems. but it is transitioning. Just because someone is visiting Florida, does not mean they do not go shopping. It is no implication that Syracuse does not have good shopping. There are Canadians and other visitors who visit Syracuse who do shopping.

Don't even get me started on education which in Florida is underfunded, crime ridden and consistently ranked at the bottom of the academic spectrum.

I was excited about moving here eight years ago, but now I am not so sure and would consider an opportunity in CNY. Central and South Florida have no concept of planning. It is geared toward people like you who only care about widening roads to accomodate more traffic.
Well belly up my friend, and for all who wish to eat a crow with my good friend in this post. NY News would be my web site of reference and dated as @ TOP 100 BEST COLLEGES for 2010 and as Follow's QUOTE :
Universiry of Florida ranked 15th SUNY NY Binghamton 37th and SUNY NY Syracuse ranked 38th. That's Syracuse behing BINGHAMTON.
Now for the know it all who posted this slam about how terrible Florida's schools are.......... Univ of Central Florida (Orlando) 4th Largest University in the USA...... Florida State ranked 25th in the USA, Miami University ranked 5th . By the way, the only fact of reason that syracuse made 38th ranking was due to it's Forestry program. Belly up big mouth and next time be a bit more caring and like me, get your FACT's straight.
For all other's, I have said all along, I simply bring the facts here and leave the rest for your own judgement. not making comparisons to drag Syracue down. Making simple statements such as camery has this or that. Chevy corvette has this or that...................doesn't mean I think either is the better, or faster, or anything else. But you people are determined to make it a battle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area