Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2009, 08:01 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx-Jr View Post
I am NOT out to trash up-state NY-er's or to add any undo incorrectness of Syracuse or greater Syracuse area.
To put the facts into place. and taking in such area's so terribly hard hit over the years, example the City of Cortland, just some 30 miles south of Syracuse, a area well known as bing in the SNOW BELT. JUST WHAT DOES the SNOW BELT MEAN? Where does it start, where does it end? WHY the name SNOW BELT?
Lost Job's? Again the city of Cortland NY, lost the following :
Brockway Truck's Manufacturing /Assembly Plants
Smith Corona Typewriters (7 plants closed)
Rubbermaid
Wilson's Sporting goods
Christ Craft Boats
Thompson Boats
Overhead Door Corp
RCA Corp
This is just a few and the people who stayed I'm sure can weigh in and cover 10 times more than I mention.
Let the folks of Syracuse weigh in as well because they have been pounded even worse yet.
As I said, I lived there for 18 years, I know because i did live to see the beautiful area turn to near dust.

The HUGE beautiful farms that were in the entire Route 13 valley between Homer NY to Dryden to Ithaca, NY ........GONE forever, the smaller farms branching off of route 13.........Gone, now a few horse farms, usually 2 or 3 horses per farm. These are the facts.

Orlando area, 3 million people, so is there crime ?????? yes, but per capita? And lets speak of things to do...... Well the Atlantic ocean on the entire East sie, and the Gulf of Mexico on the west side.
We have the Key's, and deep sea fishing, we have more lakes than any other State, so fresh water fishing and the BEST and Biggest Tourny's for such.
We too have deer hunting, and wild Hog hunting, Turkey Hunting, gator hunting, and the list goes on and on for hunting, something NY does NOT have.
We have 4 that's right 4, International Speedways here. NY? None ZERO other than the beautiful Watkins Glen International.
Horse race tracks, NY did have but no longer, some of the best, the most beautiful tracks, and why not anymore? Good old TAXES, THE FARM bill destroyed........But here in Palm Beach county the average horse barn, AVERAGE again I say........3 .5 Million per BARN not including horse's.
(WELLINGTON, FL Palm Beach County)
Lets talk about ice skating rinks here in Orlando alone 6 of them.
Performing Arts Center's 3 of them, Then we have State University's here, just 8 of them now and the 4th largest in the USA???????Central Florida Univ. and the team called the GATOR's, the Knight's, the Hurricanes, the Seminoles, just to name 1/2 of them here.
SO when I read BORED??????? And your telling me that UP State NY is BETTER? Or any part of NY has more.......lets do the math again folks and GET REAL ! This sin't bragging, this is telling it the way it is. And maybe someone can tell me all bout how their investment in their home up there got them a great profit?
Florida by the way does not have State taxes either. There is NO Florida State tax. There is no need for snow tires, there is no need for extra Winter clothing as the lady is asking about the insulated winter coat, gloves, Boot's, Scarf, ear muff's . have a family? multipy that cost by 4 average. NIGHT life? Are you kidding me? Cortland's ONLY economy is the bar's downtown., and the city cops arrest for drunk and disorderly fines by the court.
Where do the Majority of Pro Sports people live, and train? Right here where I live and proud to be their neighbor. Like it or not, it's the way it is, and why I personally left. The Facts are the facts.
And again as for the Syracuse Orangemen.......I do feel very sorry for them. There's nothing worse than knowing the team you loved to see go out there and win...has been destroyed by the Borad of trustee's.
It isn't the kids fault I do know.
and Pro Teams, of Buc's, the Dolphins, the Jaguars, and Pro Basketball of Orlando's "the Magic", just the City of Orlando.
Everyone should love where they live - you obviously do.

Personally, I'd never chose to move to Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 02:27 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times
Quote:
taking in such area's so terribly hard hit over the years, example the City of Cortland, just some 30 miles south of Syracuse, a area well known as bing in the SNOW BELT.
I would have to dispute one of your statements here. My mother, who has lived in Cortland County since 1950, insists she is not in the SNOW BELT - now that she has News Channel 10 she says that's up around Redfield.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:19 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,120 times
Quote:
I am NOT out to trash up-state NY-er's or to add any undo incorrectness of Syracuse or greater Syracuse area.
To put the facts into place. and taking in such area's so terribly hard hit over the years, example the City of Cortland, just some 30 miles south of Syracuse, a area well known as bing in the SNOW BELT. JUST WHAT DOES the SNOW BELT MEAN? Where does it start, where does it end? WHY the name SNOW BELT?
Lost Job's? Again the city of Cortland NY, lost the following :
Brockway Truck's Manufacturing /Assembly Plants
Smith Corona Typewriters (7 plants closed)
Rubbermaid
Wilson's Sporting goods
Christ Craft Boats
Thompson Boats
Overhead Door Corp
RCA Corp
This is just a few and the people who stayed I'm sure can weigh in and cover 10 times more than I mention.
Let the folks of Syracuse weigh in as well because they have been pounded even worse yet.
As I said, I lived there for 18 years, I know because i did live to see the beautiful area turn to near dust.

The HUGE beautiful farms that were in the entire Route 13 valley between Homer NY to Dryden to Ithaca, NY ........GONE forever, the smaller farms branching off of route 13.........Gone, now a few horse farms, usually 2 or 3 horses per farm. These are the facts.

Orlando area, 3 million people, so is there crime ?????? yes, but per capita? And lets speak of things to do...... Well the Atlantic ocean on the entire East sie, and the Gulf of Mexico on the west side.
We have the Key's, and deep sea fishing, we have more lakes than any other State, so fresh water fishing and the BEST and Biggest Tourny's for such.
We too have deer hunting, and wild Hog hunting, Turkey Hunting, gator hunting, and the list goes on and on for hunting, something NY does NOT have.
We have 4 that's right 4, International Speedways here. NY? None ZERO other than the beautiful Watkins Glen International.
Horse race tracks, NY did have but no longer, some of the best, the most beautiful tracks, and why not anymore? Good old TAXES, THE FARM bill destroyed........But here in Palm Beach county the average horse barn, AVERAGE again I say........3 .5 Million per BARN not including horse's.
(WELLINGTON, FL Palm Beach County)
Lets talk about ice skating rinks here in Orlando alone 6 of them.
Performing Arts Center's 3 of them, Then we have State University's here, just 8 of them now and the 4th largest in the USA???????Central Florida Univ. and the team called the GATOR's, the Knight's, the Hurricanes, the Seminoles, just to name 1/2 of them here.
SO when I read BORED??????? And your telling me that UP State NY is BETTER? Or any part of NY has more.......lets do the math again folks and GET REAL ! This sin't bragging, this is telling it the way it is. And maybe someone can tell me all bout how their investment in their home up there got them a great profit?
Florida by the way does not have State taxes either. There is NO Florida State tax. There is no need for snow tires, there is no need for extra Winter clothing as the lady is asking about the insulated winter coat, gloves, Boot's, Scarf, ear muff's . have a family? multipy that cost by 4 average. NIGHT life? Are you kidding me? Cortland's ONLY economy is the bar's downtown., and the city cops arrest for drunk and disorderly fines by the court.
Where do the Majority of Pro Sports people live, and train? Right here where I live and proud to be their neighbor. Like it or not, it's the way it is, and why I personally left. The Facts are the facts.
And again as for the Syracuse Orangemen.......I do feel very sorry for them. There's nothing worse than knowing the team you loved to see go out there and win...has been destroyed by the Borad of trustee's.
It isn't the kids fault I do know.
and Pro Teams, of Buc's, the Dolphins, the Jaguars, and Pro Basketball of Orlando's "the Magic", just the City of Orlando.
You also have miserable weather from May to October (went to Disney in late June and we were warned by friends to go back to our hotel in the afternoon because it would be so miserably hot - they were right), crashing real estate prices, hurricanes, outrageously high property insurance, disgusting mutant-sized cockroaches (called Palmetto bugs by real estate agents), sprawl as far as the eye can see, ugly strip malls everywhere, ridiculous traffic, thunderstorms every afternoon, and yes, even a slightly declining population (the bloom is off the rose). And I really care that pro athletes train in Florida.

Orlando - no thanks! (well, maybe when I retire - January and February).

Old 12-03-2009, 08:17 PM

50 posts, read 188,411 times
Tx-Jr, if you were going to compare Cortland to a Florida city, you should have chosen Yeehaw Junction, FL (yes, this is a real place), which is more comparable in terms of size and culture. http://www.city-data.com/city/Yeehaw...n-Florida.html

Old 12-14-2009, 04:59 AM

15 posts, read 30,659 times
Look folk's, I again am not trashing CNY. My post are not intended to put down the area. As I have said and repeat, myself, the winters can be brutally cold, the employment and business there , some of the BEST large Industries, and agriculture has taken a beating. Taxes??? The majority because UP STATE has paid for the sins of NY City. What the hell did NYC ever do for up state? There in lies the truth and it's the truth to this day. And just what does that have to do with the State of Florida???????NOTHING.
My reply about what there is in Florida as far as activities was responce to reply of there is "nothing to do in Florida" that it was boring". Well DAH!! and as far as "who cares about sports people? Maybe those who partisipate, or enjoy Sports ? That number being in the millions that's WHO!
Let me sk the better question here in this forum...........does the sun shine in Florida? and if so,
what is the chance the weather is hot? But how many know that living in North Florida's climate is TOTALLY differnt that that of south Florida? How many know that it takes more than 7 hours of driving to get from Jacksonville to Miami and another 7 hr Miami to Key West? It takes me from Orlando area 7 hours to get to the pan handle of Pennsicola. My point being WEATHER and tempture changes, hills, and valleys, and yes even SNOW in Florida along with freezing temptures.
Now, that's Florida that most NY'ers didn't know.
We also have SNOW birds, and not the kind with wing's. We have SNOW birds by the thousands every year.
WHY? HOW can that be? and for what reason??????? They want the best of both worlds maybe???? End of story.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:24 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,760,139 times
I'm going to go out on a limb, here, but... and this is just a *wild* guess... perhaps people live in upstate NY because they like it?

And perhaps people live in Florida because they like it?

I love upstate NY - I detest the heat, humidity, bugs, blinding sunlight... that flat, void, feeling-of-emptiness that I get whenever I'm there... I just don't like Florida.

People who love Florida the same way I love my own state probably detest the cold, lack of constant sunlight, dry winter air, shoveling, closed-in-by-hills feeling they get when they're here... they just don't like New York.

I love to snowboard and go sledding, build snowmen and make snow tunnels and igloos and ice lanterns with my kids (okay, let's be honest... I did all of these things as a single adult too. lol) I think shoveling snow in the dark and silence of early morning is incredibly therapeutic for me. I love driving home to see my snow-covered house, dripping with icicles that reach the ground, sitting cozily in the hill, with smoke billowing out of the chimney. I love that a heavy snowfall rarely keeps me at home, unless I'm traveling out of the area... because our snowplows keep on top of things better than *anywhere else* in the country and I don't trust roads outside of our county. I love coming IN from the cold to enjoy the warmth of home with hot chocolate and a good movie.

And on the flip side, I love not needing air conditioning in the summer - a fan is usually enough. I love not feeling wet because the air is so thick and humid. I love that I can actually *enjoy* the summer... something my friends in Florida never boast of... and don't make statements like "oh stop- the heat isn't bad at all... you're just going from an air conditioned house to an air conditioned car to an air conditioned building. Not bad at all! "

I don't want a summer like that.

I like snow. I wouldn't want to live in a place where there wasn't a regular, heavy snowfall. I have no innate desire to surround myself with "stars" and all the trappings surrounding them. Even if I did, I've run into enough stars by accident in Syracuse. Leonardo diCaprio (while shopping for maternity clothes), Alec Baldwin (visiting my grandfather, who is neighbors with his mother), Adrien Brody (my husband called home and said that he needed directions to his new house a few years ago) and Hulk Hogan (at the downtown Y in the late 80's.) They seemed relieved that either few people recognized them or didn't care who they were enough to interrupt them. *Seeing* them hasn't impacted my life in any kind of influential/substantiable/significant way. I can't imagine it impacts those who *see* them in Florida either. If you ARE that kind of person who needs to see stars, drive to NYC... it's close enough to be there for your next meal.

I'm certain that any Floridian could make similar statements as mine above, in profession of love for their own state and against mine... because they like their state.

I don't like Florida enough, so I don't live there.

They don't like New York enough, so they don't live here.

And I think it just may be as simple as that. <shrug>

Old 12-17-2009, 07:38 PM

48 posts, read 202,209 times
R u sure you wanna move here? Lol. We moved here from Orlando three years ago. We are ready to go back to fl. Dreadfully long winters and snowy! This is going to be a major adjustment for you. Good luck! I will say this, the fall here is to die for. Summers, very humid.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:14 AM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryann1804 View Post
R u sure you wanna move here? Lol. We moved here from Orlando three years ago. We are ready to go back to fl. Dreadfully long winters and snowy! This is going to be a major adjustment for you. Good luck! I will say this, the fall here is to die for. Summers, very humid.
Aren't the summers in Florida just as humid and even hotter on a regular basis?

Old 12-18-2009, 01:07 PM

50 posts, read 188,411 times
Tx-Jr - How can you start a post with this:

Quote:
Look folk's, I again am not trashing CNY. My post are not intended to put down the area.
and then immediately launch into this (again):

Quote:
As I have said and repeat, myself, the winters can be brutally cold, the employment and business there , some of the BEST large Industries, and agriculture has taken a beating. Taxes??? The majority because UP STATE has paid for the sins of NY City. What the hell did NYC ever do for up state? There in lies the truth and it's the truth to this day. And just what does that have to do with the State of Florida???????NOTHING.
To me this sounds like hypocrisy. You did come onto this discussion to trash CNY. That was your intent. All we are saying is that Forida and your beloved Orlando are not all its supposedly cracked up to be and there is definitely an emerging shift away from Florida and the southeast in general as Florida lost population for the first time, ever. My feeling is that many Americans are yearning for a sense of community that the character-less, soul-less suburbs of the sunbelt (and elsewhere) cannot deliver and we are starting to see a return back to older communities and cities that can deliver on that promise.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:46 AM

81 posts, read 231,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Aren't the summers in Florida just as humid and even hotter on a regular basis?
Yes. And then you get into the June to September months and it gets REALLY hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area