Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2010, 03:59 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,990 times

Advertisements

A leading venture capitalist has ranked Syracuse sixth among the world's top 10 cleantech clusters. The region's emerging concentration of green tech companies, the recently completed Center of Excellence, and CleanTech Center initiative in Downtown Syracuse were among the reasons cited by Sustainable World Capital. Although rankings can be highly subjective and hard to quantify, if nothing else, this list brings Syracuse some much needed exposure, particuarly among venture capitalists who have largely avoided Upstate New York sans Ithaca and Albany since the dot com bust in the early 2000s.

Post Standard Article
Syracuse's Clean Tech Center ranks No. 6 on list of top 10 "cleantech clusters'' in the world |

Top 10 cleantech cluster organizations for 2010 | Cleantech Group (http://www.cleantech.com/news/5640/top-10-cleantech-clusters - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 12:02 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,866,576 times
Syracuse's Clean Tech Center ranks No. 6 on list of top 10 "cleantech clusters'' in the world |

(RollsRoyce - Sorry, I posted a new thread regarding this topic before I saw your thread. I would delete my thread if I knew how)

Syracsue has become a global leader in the sustainable, environmental technology economy!

The local economy has transformed nicely from a heavy manufacturing to a diverse green-based economy supported by some of the top academic institutions in the world. Global recognitions like the "Cleantech Cluster" ranking increase the pride I have as a Syracusan (in addition to Syracuse Basketball and LaCrosse).

For Syracuse to have aspired to a "fraternity" of global centers like Styria, Austria, Cambridge, Mass.; Lahti, Finland; Toronto, Canada; Copenhagen, Denmark; Syracuse; San Diego, Calif.; San Jose, Calif.; Stockholm, Sweden; and Ontario, Canada shoiuld be a source of pride in CNY.

I was surprised that Pittsburgh was not listed which has embarked on a similiar transformation to a green-based economy. All the more impressive for Syracuse which is on the top 10 list!

However, I would direct everyone's attention to the negative comments posted in the Post-Standard article. Fortunately, misinformed and bitter people like this are a dying breed in the CNY region (hopefully!).

I would bet that if the Center of Excellence (a beautiful building I might add) were built in another community, the same posters whould complain that local leaders did noting to bring it to Syracuse!

In any case, GREAT JOB SYRACUSE AND ALL THOSE INVOLVED in making this happen!!

Last edited by urbanplanner; 03-04-2010 at 12:11 PM..

Old 03-04-2010, 12:22 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Any good news is helpful and hope people in the area realize that time is not standing still and change needs to be made. It looks like people are doing just that in terms of the area's future economy.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:18 PM

CNY is so fortunate to have such a great concentration of academic institutions in its backyard. The article reports on their committment to "climate neutrality". The article also illustrates their enormous contribution to CNY's transiton and rise as a global leader in environmental science and sustainability.

How six Central New York colleges plan to become "climate neutral'' by 2050 | syracuse.com

Summary of submitted action plans:

http://media.syracuse.com/green/othe...egeclimate.pdf

After seeing the list, it is amazing that you guys have such a concentration of prestigeous institutions within a 50 mile radius of downtown Syracuse. I really do believe the future of CNY is bright!!

Old 03-23-2010, 02:21 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
CNY is so fortunate to have such a great concentration of academic institutions in its backyard. The article reports on their committment to "climate neutrality". The article also illustrates their enormous contribution to CNY's transiton and rise as a global leader in environmental science and sustainability.

How six Central New York colleges plan to become "climate neutral'' by 2050 | syracuse.com

Summary of submitted action plans:

http://media.syracuse.com/green/othe...egeclimate.pdf

After seeing the list, it is amazing that you guys have such a concentration of prestigeous institutions within a 50 mile radius of downtown Syracuse.
I hope we continue to capitalize off of that too. I think the region has something like the 3rd highest concentration of college students in the US.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:32 PM

I agree ckhthankgod and you are correct it does have the 3rd highest concentration in the US, hopefully this will help in keeping many in the area...

How to make CNY attractive to young professionals | Progress -

Now that the MDA and Chamber of Commerce are one entity they can communicate, collaborate and coordinate in one voice with local partners. Some of the ideas mentioned include:

• Create stronger ties between the region's college students and local industry by promoting summer internships.

• Encourage colleges and universities to establish physical ties, such as off-campus classroom buildings, to the communities around them.

• Assist former residents in finding jobs and establishing professional ties to the region. (I may take them up on this idea!)

• Promote the region's social and cultural amenities

In any event, it is good to see a strategy being implemented and not just talk.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:23 AM

161 posts, read 355,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
However, I would direct everyone's attention to the negative comments posted in the Post-Standard article. Fortunately, misinformed and bitter people like this are a dying breed in the CNY region (hopefully!).
Whats with all the trolls on there? Syracuse.com has one of the most bitter and unproductive comments section I've ever seen....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area