Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 08:05 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times

Advertisements

Yes, Charles.
Who am I to say "you shouldn't spend your money the way you want to"?

People really need to stop that.
That's what annoys me about this forum. Someone comes in and asks:
"I want either A or B. Which do you think would be best for me?"
and people reply:
"Get C or D!"

He asked about 2 products. Between those 2 products, give him a suggestion or stay out of the thread.

To the OP: that is a tough call.
But because you want to convert WORD docs to PDF I would say get the Macbook.

Just don't forget to factor in another $120 for MS Office Home.

Think I will go to the Automotive forum and ask "should I get a Chevy or a Ford" and see how many people reply with: "Get a Honda/Toyota!"
8)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 08:08 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,706,114 times
OP, Charles hates Apple, so he can't give you any good advice on Apples. Pretty much every post in this forum by him is a rant against Apple, so don't worry too much about it.

If I were you OP, I'd get the laptop . The iPad/any tablet is good if you have a computer elsewhere and is good for many things, but it doesn't have quite the capability you may want of a full-fledged computer.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:19 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Funny how some people have such terrible experiences, yet most others don't. Maybe some people just aren't capable of using a PC without screwing it up.
Yeah, that must be it.

Quote:
Besides, don't we have enough Mac vs. PC debates already?
Yes.

I vote for the MacBook. My mom just got a 13" MBP and she loves it.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:56 AM

6,804 posts, read 9,357,536 times
MacBook. You can pick up a refurb (if you don't mind a refurb) for a bit cheaper, or, pick up a previous-generation 13" MacBook Pro for the price of a current MacBook.

As far as a PC is concerned, I think some people fail to understand that if you really want the Mac, but buy a PC because it's like $300 cheaper, you'll never feel fully satisfied with the PC and always wish that you had the Mac. The user experience is just that much better for some people (but not everyone).

Old 03-18-2011, 12:19 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
you'll never feel fully satisfied with the PC and always wish that you had the Mac.
As much as I try to stay out of the Windows v Mac debate, this is just a ridiculous comment.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:44 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

He asked about 2 products. Between those 2 products, give him a suggestion or stay out of the thread.
Except for the part where he wrote

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsoon2020 View Post

All advice appreciated.

and the fact that he wrote that he was considering options and his requirements are pretty limited

Quote:
I'm weighing my options.
primarily going to be using my computer for surfing the web.

The only thing I would require is the ability to create Word docs that can be converted to pdfs and excel spreadsheets.
You know, if I was asking advice on something and I didn't know all of the options out there, I would appreciate someone providing alternatives. Maybe the original poster is caught up in all the Apple hype and advertising and was unaware there are less expensive ways to meet his requirements.

For example, some people actually think Ipods sound better than $20 MP3 players from Wal Mart.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:00 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times
As much as I'd say buy a PC too, the OP also stated that they had horrible experiences with PCs.

It may be irrational but for the same reasons I'll never buy a Ford again. (Well maybe a new Mustang...)

The OP has a choice to spend (like Charles says) $300 to run basic programs. ($400, if the OP wanted MS Office for Mac).

In any case if I had the money and didn't want a PC, between the iPad and a MacBook. I'd buy a MacBook.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:11 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,357,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
As much as I try to stay out of the Windows v Mac debate, this is just a ridiculous comment.
Why is it ridiculous?

Old 03-19-2011, 10:09 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Neither.

Get a little mini laptop/netbook, something like what I bought from Dell Outlet. More like $250. It's a real computer, runs windows 7, has a built in 3G mobile broadband card as well as 802.11g in it, USB ports, even HDMI out. Perfect for surfing and running Office applications. I surf the net while riding in my vanpool. It's great.

Here's an example of what I'm writing about:

Dell Factory Outlet
Good one, chuckles

A macbook isn't a real computer. It's an expensive toy

Quote:
I'm going to be buying a new computer and I'm weighing my options. I can get a brand new macbook for $900 or the ipad 2 for $499. Is it worth spending the extra $400 for the macbook? Is the ipad just a glorified iphone?

I am primarily going to be using my computer for surfing the web. The only thing I would require is the ability to create Word docs that can be converted to pdfs and excel spreadsheets.

All advice appreciated.
If you like Apple products, then get a macbook. The iPad is just worthless. There are two sitting in my living room right now and while I don't regret having them, I just love my ubuntu on Dell

But you said word docs and pdf, both belonging to MS and Adobe, which don't work really well with Apple.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 03-23-2011 at 08:04 PM..

Old 03-19-2011, 11:03 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
The iPad is great for consuming content. If you want to read web pages and e-Books, play music and watch YouTube and Netflix, the iPad will meet your needs.

If you have an ongoing need for this to be a device you'll use to write documents and emails or create content in some other way, get the MacBook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets