Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 08:50 PM

258 posts, read 673,065 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are a music oriented family. I Have a good collection of CDs but also mostly play tons of music via the YouTube using playlists. We have an iPad and iPod. These and the computer are always in use and I am now thinking of getting something that we can use to play music in the background as we browse or play on the iPad/iPod.
Is there any tablet or similar device where I can play from the Internet/YouTube continuously in the background? What would be the best and cheapest device ( want to get something during thanksgiving). Also, is there anyway I could convert everything from the CDs and upload to this device - a one stop device for music? I am also interested in pausing, often, replaying, playing a small portion of then music over and over again automatically. My daught learns music and hence all these requirements. Any ideas, please? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 07:47 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
I would suggest any Android Tablet with an SD Card slot.
Unlike the iPad, there are 30 different apps for playing music. I am sure you could find a way to do exactly what you want. If I am not mistaken you can also synch YouTube. In other words you could cue up YouTUbe videos on your PC that would play over on the tablet. I know I can run YouTube from my tablet on my TV through the PS3 (which is pretty cool).

You still have to convert your CD's on your PC and transfer them.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:29 PM

Do you recommend any particular Android that you like that will work as above? I am new to these - only apple products are familiar to me. thanks for your help.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:48 AM

My current favorite is the Asus Transformer line.
Starting with the TF200 and higher. Don't even consider the discontinued TF100 series.

ASUS - Tablet- ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime TF201

2nd, I like the Toshiba Excite.

Excite

3rd the Lenovo S2109.

IdeaTab S Series Tablet PCs Powered by Android (US)

Old 11-16-2012, 09:09 AM

633 posts, read 723,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tango14 View Post
Hi,
We are a music oriented family. I Have a good collection of CDs but also mostly play tons of music via the YouTube using playlists. We have an iPad and iPod. These and the computer are always in use and I am now thinking of getting something that we can use to play music in the background as we browse or play on the iPad/iPod.
Is there any tablet or similar device where I can play from the Internet/YouTube continuously in the background? What would be the best and cheapest device ( want to get something during thanksgiving). Also, is there anyway I could convert everything from the CDs and upload to this device - a one stop device for music? I am also interested in pausing, often, replaying, playing a small portion of then music over and over again automatically. My daught learns music and hence all these requirements. Any ideas, please? Thank you.
I'm confused why u need another tablet just to play music in background.. you are aware that ipad can multitask right? meaning u can play music in background on same ipad while u browse the internet or whatever u want to do at the same time.

as for cheap tablet if u have a tiger's direct outlet near you by the cash register they have a tablet for less than $200 it's refurbished but im sure it can do its purpose of just playing music to you.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:24 PM

I don't understand.. I can play music via you tube and surf at the same time? when I try to get on safari, YouTube app stops playing. Am I missing something?

I also want to be able to store music(from my CDs, hard drive etc), replay over and over selected portions of the music...i don't know if iPad will work for this purpose.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:38 PM

633 posts, read 723,754 times
whoops i loathe anything apple so i just googled for u:

16 New iPad tips 2012 - YouTube

yes apparently u can multitask. isnt it u only click the minimize button or open new tab so you can open several sites aka multitask? i think it's pretty stupid to not be able to multitask in any new gadget.

LOL. i only find out now :

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/t...itasking/19314

and how has ipad became popular when it cant do a simple task as multi tasking is beyond me. even my hacked gps can play music or movies in background while i do other things wow. why is steve jobs a genius again? just wow.

as for you OP i dunno why the ipod playing your music in background will not suffice but like i said go to tiger direct site they're selling tablet for less than $200.

Last edited by angelinajolie; 11-16-2012 at 04:57 PM..

Old 11-19-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango14 View Post
I don't understand.. I can play music via you tube and surf at the same time? when I try to get on safari, YouTube app stops playing. Am I missing something?
If you start a new tab in your browser, you can certainly run YouTube on one tab and do other stuff in another.

Quote:
I also want to be able to store music(from my CDs, hard drive etc), replay over and over selected portions of the music...i don't know if iPad will work for this purpose.
It will, but the Android tablets afford more space in general.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:23 PM

I used the you tube app as well as accessed YouTube thru a tab in safari. Either way, when I then go to safari to a new web site, the music stops. I have to go thru the process of double clicking home button and getting the you tube music to continue. This is not multi tasking!

On another note, can I access my laptop files from my iPad? How is this Done? They are both on the wifi. Thanks,

Old 11-20-2012, 07:59 AM

There's an app for that.

This is one of the areas that Android soundly beats Apple.

There is an App for that, for Apple, but will your Music app on your phone see the music stored in your PC?
No.The network browsing app lives in it's own walled garden. This is a pain finding the exact app to do exactly what you need when you want to "open" the 'walled garden' and share files between apps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets