Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,621 times

Advertisements

I have decided to buy my daughter her first tablet, and I am overwhemled by all the options. I am not good with all the tech stuff. I have narrowed the list down here: http://amzn.to/ZTzgzj

Which of these tablets would work best and does anyone have a preference or any suggestions? I need to order very soon so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 10:36 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejl.blogger View Post
I have decided to buy my daughter her first tablet, and I am overwhemled by all the options. I am not good with all the tech stuff. I have narrowed the list down here: Amazon.com: tablets - 4 Stars & Up / 16 GB & Up / 32 GB / Android / 8 to 10 Inches / Tablets / Computers & Accessories: Electronics

Which of these tablets would work best and does anyone have a preference or any suggestions? I need to order very soon so any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have a 32GB Nexus 7 Tablet that I like very much (only $250/16GB is $199).

Old 03-17-2013, 10:38 PM

100 posts, read 161,359 times
I can't see your link but I must say my 14yr old daughter is over the moon with her Kindle Fire. It gets good reviews too.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:39 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Ah yes... the eternal question: how cheap can I get a good tablet?

You have 3 options for cheap BUT good:
Google Nexus 7 inch: $199
Kindle Fire HD 7 inch: $199
Nook HD 7 inch: $199

Of those 3 I would get a Nook. Currently offering $50 in store credit and it is the only one of those three that support memory slots onboard.

Best deal on a 10 inch would be the Kindle Fire HD OR the Nook HD+ for $269 of the Nexus $10 for $299.
Again slight edge to Nook for Expandable Memory.

And I would buy direct.
Amazon, Barnes and Noble and the Google Play Store.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:50 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,139,630 times
I just bought a Nexus 7 today. It was $229, but I added some breakage/support protection coverage for $80. So far only 2 complaints......it's not loud enough and from what I can see, no camera (although there is an app for it). I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:19 AM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
I just bought a Nexus 7 today. It was $229, but I added some breakage/support protection coverage for $80. So far only 2 complaints......it's not loud enough and from what I can see, no camera (although there is an app for it). I'm pretty happy with it so far.
The Nexus 7 has only one camera that faces the front. You're right about the speakers as they are on the back side. I'm going to get some small external speakers and connect through the small stereo speaker port on the bottom of the tablet.

I just purchased the Nexus 7 dock (made by Asus) on Google Play for about $38 with tax and shipping. You can charge the tablet and attach external speakers through the dock. The dock is made for placing the tablet in horizontal mode.

Although there is no external SD card slot, you can use a very cheap Micro USB Sync Cable and a thumb drive to store data. You will need an app to read the external drive and Nexus Media Importer app works great (free in Google Play Store).

As for syncing with a PC, I use the app "airDroid".

Old 03-20-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
The Nexus 7 has only one camera that faces the front. You're right about the speakers as they are on the back side. I'm going to get some small external speakers and connect through the small stereo speaker port on the bottom of the tablet.

I just purchased the Nexus 7 dock (made by Asus) on Google Play for about $38 with tax and shipping. You can charge the tablet and attach external speakers through the dock. The dock is made for placing the tablet in horizontal mode.

Although there is no external SD card slot, you can use a very cheap Micro USB Sync Cable and a thumb drive to store data. You will need an app to read the external drive and Nexus Media Importer app works great (free in Google Play Store).

As for syncing with a PC, I use the app "airDroid".
I hope the external speakers help you, because even with a good quality ear buds, the sound was pretty lame. My gf's iPod will blast, can't even listen to it on max but my Nexus is about 1/2 that volume all the way up. It's dissapointing.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:01 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,347 times
I'm readimg this on my Asus TF300T. Mines the 16GB, but I have the 16GB microSD card for a total of 32GB. I couldn't ask for a better tablet, and that includes the high priced iPad. Mine cost $300. The processing speed is amazing, the screen is wonderful. I have only one complaint, thpugh. I can't seem to calibrate my digital compass in one of the axes, the the skyview app doesn't work like I want. This more likely a personal issue.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:48 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Never tried SkyMap on mine.
I have heard this can happen with some tablets. Try this:
Turn it off.
Lay it FLAT on a table.
Turn it ON while it is laying flat.

Not sure if this works on the Asus but I've heard it works on some Toshiba ones.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:18 AM

I've noticed the compass does its own thing too, sometimes. My Sky map is dead on though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets