Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2017, 08:06 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times

Advertisements

My ITunes account--the one created when I got my first iPhone and then used w/my current iPad is on a desktop computer that has crapped out...
Don't know if it had power surge issue or what but I have not been able to use it (for years) and have not been able to connect my iPad (or iPhone) to my ICloud account to do updates and move photos and other updating on that account---
I have updated over wifi for new system updates and added some apps to my phone and tablet--but have not tied either one to my harddrive and my iTunes account...

I am not sure if I take my desktop harddrive into a shop that it can be repaired so that I can log on to the iTunes account...
What can I do to correct this problem?

And I am not computer literate in any meaningful way...so simplified explanation would be appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 08:16 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
If you were syncing with the cloud, you can get it from logging into iCloud.com with your Apple ID.

If not, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201272 and https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201251.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:34 AM

Thanks for prompt reply
I can't sign into ICloud on my iPad because it doesn't have the upgraded iOS--
The apple page says it needs 10 but it does not show that upgrade on my iPad's info

Old 04-12-2017, 02:00 PM

I thought you were trying to transfer itunes to a new computer so you could back up and sync your iPad. Do you not have a new computer to replace the dead one? Computers are so cheap these days you're probably better off with a new one than fixing your old one.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Thanks for prompt reply
I can't sign into ICloud on my iPad because it doesn't have the upgraded iOS--
The apple page says it needs 10 but it does not show that upgrade on my iPad's info
So you've gone to safari and typed in icloud.com in the address bar? You can log into icloud from any browser, I don't think it would be OS-specific.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
So you've gone to safari and typed in icloud.com in the address bar? You can log into icloud from any browser, I don't think it would be OS-specific.
On my iPad I went to the Apple link you gave--
It says iPads need version 10
My iPad doesn't have that version and does not say it needs to have an update

I went into my Setting icon and discovered that my ICloud backup switch was not turned on--
I set it to green/on and took about 3 hours for the update to finish

The ITunes account I used initially is on an older desktop--the hard drive has had problems and I stopped using it several years ago--
I have a new laptop which (unfortunately I forgot in FL at our vacation house) but was told I could not create a new iTunes account on it which would be a "duplicate" of the one on the desktop I had used previously...
I don't know how accurate that info was...
We are going back to FL end of April
Can I just download the iTunes app then and use it on new laptop--same as the one on the desktop that is not working???

I appreciate your time/help...
Apple stores are not a calm environment for me...
I am doing this so I can free up storage space on my iPad...
I don't want to delete something that would not be backed up and available on iCloud where I have lot more (paid for) memory/storage...

Old 04-12-2017, 03:52 PM

I would suggest you go ahead and download iTunes onto your new laptop and log-in. Assuming sign-in goes well and it recognizes your account, plug the ipad into the laptop and let it sync/back-up.

You should be fine unless you have too many devices authorized over the years, you can have 5. You are supposed to deauthorize the old computer (another link for that https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204385 )

The link says if you don't have access to the old computer to follow the instructions for "Deauthorize All" and then re-authorize the computer(s) you still have afterwards.

The Apple store is hell. And I love apple stuff.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:00 PM

Thanks-
Have had 2 iPhones and just the one iPad
I appreciate the non-patronizing tone as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets