Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 08:06 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times

Advertisements

https://www.sellcell.com/blog/how-ma...23-statistics/

Interesting statistics in various countries. In most of the world the Apple iPad leads, although Samsung leads in Spain and Italy. Note that these statistics are in terms of ownership, not 2022 sales.

What surprises me is that in the United States Samsung is ahead of Amazon. I see way more people with Amazon Fire tablets than Samsung Galaxy Tabs. Amazon basically has a monopoly on parents wanting to buy a tablet for their kids, and I am a bit surprised that Samsung would be ahead in overall tablet ownership in the United States. It is only in recent years that Samsung Galaxy Tabs really became popular, and I'm quite surprised that Samsung would be ahead in U.S. ownership.

Interesting how dismal Lenovo's market share is in the United States. Lenovo is known for aggressively pricing their products compared to Samsung, and I'm surprised their market share isn't a bit higher in the U.S.

Time will tell if the Google Pixel Tablet or OnePlus will make any significant inroads into the U.S. tablet market share.

Old 08-17-2023, 02:40 PM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times
In my area, I mostly see Samsung and Apple tablets.

My family uses all Amazon tablets. Amazon has the edge mostly in value targeting audiences focused primarily on web consumption with lighter gaming. They have a relatively large margin in cost savings. This is especially true if you are looking for 10-inch models. We all have HD10 versions. Mine (32GB) was purchased just under $100 and everyone else (64GB) was purchased at $130. With 5 tablets in the house, it could get pretty expensive to refresh the tablets and I am on a budget. From a price point of view, that is pretty unbeatable value when compared to other 10-inch offerings from the major manufacturers. Samsung and others certainly lead in terms of performance and features once one's budget is less constrained. Amazon firetablets also are tied to their AppStore and there are several apps that are not available there. There is a workaround to load Google App/play store on Firetablets but I'm not so sure the typical consumer is knowledgeable or willing to go through the trouble. I certainly have applied that workaround to all our firetablets and my younger ones seem happy. We also do a lot of streaming via Firesticks so the user experience is familiar to everyone.

My elder son does more gaming on his desktop (and console) now, so he also has gone with an Amazon tablet in lieu of his previous Samsung and prior to that Ipad due to the cost. He mostly watches movies and browses the web on the tablet now with the vast majority of his time on his desktop. So I would surmise sales on higher-end tablets are also contingent on the locale's popularity of desktop/console gaming as well.

Amazon has always target the budget consumer. Samsung has always been targeting to compete with Apple Ipads.

Amazon has recently tried to target the higher end with their Firetablet 11 Max. It was originally priced at $229 which puts in the range of the Samsung lower end models. I think they recognize so it is currently on sale price of $189. Not sure how well it is going to compete but the spec difference is going to be slightly better than my HD10s and that translate for better gaming experience.

So considering the US and gaming on tablets is fairly popular here, I'm not surprised. There may be some locale's that economic factors are pressing for more budget points and/or popularity of tablet gaming is less.

Last edited by usayit; 08-17-2023 at 03:02 PM..

Old 08-21-2023, 10:21 AM

There are pretty decent budget tablets from Samsung and Lenovo. The Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 and Lenovo M10 Plus 3rd Gen are good examples. While not as cheap as an Amazon Fire Tablet, these tablets can do way more than what any Fire Tablet is capable of. I actually had a senior friend who made the mistake of buying an Amazon Fire Tablet and asked for Google apps such as Gmail. He should have bought a budget Android tablet from Samsung or Lenovo instead.

Old 08-25-2023, 05:34 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times
I haven't seen someone with a Fire tablet in years. I had Samsungs years ago, then went to an iPad and never looked back. I have a 12.9 Pro for work and a personal one, both with the magic keyboard. They work great as basic "laptops" as well, albeit expensive as hell.

Even my kid has an iPad. I would never even think about buying him a Fire, unless it was honestly all I could afford and he absolutely had to have some form of tablet. The iPad is easier to use, matches everything else mobile we have, it's easy to manage, and a better device all around.

Old 08-30-2023, 11:58 AM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
There are pretty decent budget tablets from Samsung and Lenovo. The Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 and Lenovo M10 Plus 3rd Gen are good examples. While not as cheap as an Amazon Fire Tablet, these tablets can do way more than what any Fire Tablet is capable of. I actually had a senior friend who made the mistake of buying an Amazon Fire Tablet and asked for Google apps such as Gmail. He should have bought a budget Android tablet from Samsung or Lenovo instead.
i think they are targeting different consumers... Firetablets are primarily web consumption.... Streaming, audio, and books. At x1.5 the cost of a fire tablet, they are not really comparable. Certainly many are looking for more than web consumption which is why i see far more samsung than amazon. For my young kids, it has been pretty good. Even i wouldnt recommend amazon tablets if you are primarily looking for apps and gaming

Old 09-04-2023, 09:37 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
When the first iPad came out in 2010, I had to have it. At the time, the “big iPhone” thing was a huge draw. I played tons of Monopoly on it at work and with friends. Tons of games. Read lots of magazines.

As phone sizes got bigger, the iPad just kind of seemed to lose its place in my home. I’m on the computer during the day. I’m not on it much in the evening. I game on a PS5 mostly in the evening. My 14 Pro Max is now big enough to be fine for many of the tasks I used my iPads for in the past when the iPhone 4 screen was tiny by comparison to today’s phones.

I have a fourth generation iPad Pro from 2020. I lost the previous iPad on a trip that year - it was a few years old then. I don’t plan to upgrade anytime soon. The screen got cracked about a year ago. I had it replaced for about $230. It’s plenty fine for web browsing, card and monopoly games, magazine reading, news reading, and forum posting. I’m writing this now from the iPad Pro, which had a Logitech case with integrated keyboard. The keyboard is hard enough where I can type on my lap without give or sag.

Old 09-09-2023, 03:34 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
I just got the Fire Max 11. So far I'm very happy with it. I mainly bought it as an e-reader.

Old 11-12-2023, 09:24 AM

Default Most underrated tablet brand?

I was wondering, which tablet brand do you think is the most underrated?

As much as I am a Samsung fan, I would probably say the most underrated is Lenovo. They seem to make reasonable Android tablets for the money and are a good choice for those who prefer a more stock Android experience or those who are not into the Samsung ecosystem. I would recommend a cheap Lenovo tablet over an Amazon Fire tablet (which I think are overrated) any day.

Old 11-12-2023, 09:39 AM

4,506 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Big Chief!

Old 12-05-2023, 07:48 AM

1 posts, read 407 times
lenovo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets