Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 07:03 PM

11 posts, read 46,004 times

Advertisements

I've just accepted a new job and am relocating to Tallahassee from Allentown, Pennsylvania. Things have been happening very quickly. I interviewed last Friday, and only had last Saturday to look at apartments. I will be working in Havana. There were three places that I was interested in based on the internet searches that I did before I flew out for the interview; The Club at Lake Jackson, Tanglewood Apartments, and Capital Walk Apartments. I didn't get to see inside the apartments at The Club at Lake Jackson because the management office was closed for some sort of emergency according to the notice that was posted on the door of the office, but the location was nice because it is pretty close to where I work. The complex looked okay. Tanglewood Apartments prices were pretty good, but the place looked kind of rundown, and there were some "gangsta" looking guys hanging out in the parking lot in the complex which raised a few questions with me. Capital Walk Apartments were the nicest looking of the three apartments listed above, and also the most expensive. I'm looking at a 1-bedroom for $800 a month if I sign a 15-month lease, but I'm leaning towards it. Does anybody know anything about Capital Walk Apartments ? Does $800 a month seem reasonable ? Are there any other good apartment complexes that I may have missed ? I've read elsewhere in this forum that utilities can be pretty high in Tallahassee, what can I expect to pay per month for utilities, around $150 a month? Who does the cable and internet there ? Is it only Comcast ? Sorry for all the questions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 11:03 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,935 times
Comcast is the main game in town, however Centurylink is the other option. If your area is served by centurylink, they offer TV and internet as well.

Centurylink is much cheaper than comcast, so It might be worth a shot to see how it is.

Capital Walk, is a very nice complex... But that price does sound pretty steep, look around some more.

Try Apartments.com look at reviews, prices, etc.

Club at lake jackson does seem the best location, (closest to havana)

To be honest there are lots of good complexes to live here in town, you might have to live closer into town though.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:53 AM

4 posts, read 23,274 times
Default Tallahassee or Jacksonville?

I am trying to relocate to north Florida from Miami for a better quality of life for my family (wife and twin baby girls). Trying to decide between the small town atmosphere of Tallahassee and the larger city atmosphere of Jacksonville. I am a government employee with decent job prospects in both cities. Part of me wants to scale way back to a slower pace of life, but part of me also likes what a slightly larger City offers in the way of nightlife, restaurants, activities, etc. From what I can tell, Tally has a more beautiful natural landscape, a much better public school system, and is less crowded, with all that entails (less traffic, less crime, friendlier people). Benefits of Jacksonville seem to be proximity to beaches, better entertainment options, and better fishing opportunities. Both seem to share similar climate and weather, and I'm definitely looking forward to enjoying the 4 seasons. I know that I want out of Miami, but am really torn between these two northern Florida cities. Please share your thoughts...

Old 10-10-2012, 07:02 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
You guys are lucky to be relocating to Tallahassee.. I'm a native of Tampa, lived in Florida for 18 years and had never gone west of I-75 in the state before this year, I visited Tallahassee and the Emerald Coast last week and it's gorgeous.

I love the rolling hills, oak trees with spanish moss, and the people were very friendly!

The city is oozing charm too !

Go Noles !

Old 10-10-2012, 09:57 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMIA View Post
I am trying to relocate to north Florida from Miami for a better quality of life for my family (wife and twin baby girls). Trying to decide between the small town atmosphere of Tallahassee and the larger city atmosphere of Jacksonville. I am a government employee with decent job prospects in both cities. Part of me wants to scale way back to a slower pace of life, but part of me also likes what a slightly larger City offers in the way of nightlife, restaurants, activities, etc. From what I can tell, Tally has a more beautiful natural landscape, a much better public school system, and is less crowded, with all that entails (less traffic, less crime, friendlier people). Benefits of Jacksonville seem to be proximity to beaches, better entertainment options, and better fishing opportunities. Both seem to share similar climate and weather, and I'm definitely looking forward to enjoying the 4 seasons. I know that I want out of Miami, but am really torn between these two northern Florida cities. Please share your thoughts...
I was born in Tallahassee and live here still, It is an excellent place to live.

I am 26.

If you want a better quality of life you will find it in Tallahassee for sure. Tallahassee is unique to florida with its rolling hills, and beautiful greenways and parks.

The traffic is not bad here compared to Jacksonville, where you will have to factor in sitting deadlocked in traffic.

Tallahassee does have a great school system, and plenty of cultural offerings.

Florida State is Beautiful, and offers great opportunities to see sporting events, concerts, plays, performances etc.

It is close to the coast, and you will love the beach at St. George Island, and within a few hours from panama city/Destin/Fort Walton/ and Pensacola.

Tallahassee has a great local dining scene, and is starting to really develop into a nice Mid Sized city.

Southwood is a beautiful neighborhood if you can afford it, and so are the Neighborhoods of Bucklake, and Killearn.

If you enjoy Greenways, Parks, 4 Seasons, and a great family friendly city you will love it here.

Come to Tallahassee

Old 10-11-2012, 05:39 AM

Awesome feedback... Thanks! And please keep the comments coming, this is very helpful!

Old 10-11-2012, 06:47 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
My husband and I escaped from Miami 15 years ago and settled in Tallahassee. What a complete change of life style we found! Sometimes we miss some things about Miami (the ocean breeze, for example, and the variety of restaurants), but we're very happy we moved here.

Tallahassee is widely regarded as a great place to raise a family. The other side of that coin is there's probably a lot less night life than you might find in Jacksonville.

I think the best thing to do would be to settle here with your family, and take vacations in places that lack whatever you think Tallahassee lacks.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:57 AM

"escape" is definitely the right term. I am desperate to leave this city behind. It's a wonderful cosmopolitan city that is quickly going global, but as Don McClean sings, "I'm City born but I love the country life.". Ok, well maybe not completely country, but I do yearn for a small town atmosphere in a more natural forested setting with some topography. I think Tally is the closest I can get to that in Florida where I can still maintain a decent career. It's great to hear others validate my feelings about Tally. Thank you!

Old 10-11-2012, 01:19 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
Just read my previous post. Meant to say: vacation in places that HAVE whatever you think Tallahassee lacks.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:27 PM

No worries... Knew what you meant. ;-).

So, WellShoneMoon, are there any neighborhoods in particular you would recommend? I've heard a lot about the Killearn area, although I'm not a huge fan of gated/subdivision/HOA types of communities. Can you share your thoughts on the areas due east of the downtown, including the Buck Lake area? Is there any place that's like the Grove or Gables in Miami? I'd be looking at $300-$400k for a 4/2 on 1-2 acres if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee