Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 10:35 PM

2 posts, read 6,236 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Tallahassee from NE Tennessee later this summer to go to grad school at FSU. I'll be giving up my lovely little house in a working-class neighborhood within walking distance of the university. Is there any possibility of an equivalent there? I'm wondering if there's anything similar to what I have now- an established older neighborhood, slowly converting from renters to owner-occupants, quiet and safe, where I know my neighbors, where homes are selling for around $85K or $90K, where the people who buy those homes move in and do renovations as time and money allow. Is there anything like that? I spent a long time in Memphis, where the neighborhoods around the university were either very expensive (where I did not live) or were filled at night with the sounds of gunfire (where I DID live).

Would I be wasting my time looking for a place to buy, or should I just bite the bullet and rent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 09:29 AM

3 posts, read 12,007 times
I would check out craig's list and get an idea of what is available. i have only been thru tallahassee and can't say what you will find, but there are so many schools in that area that you will probably not see a real defined 'university' area...and that would be a good thing as if there was, you would find it very expensive.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:59 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,042,128 times
Default TLH housing

Doubtful that you will find that. The neighborhoods around FSU aren't very nice, and the nicer areas of town will cost more than $100k. There are a lot of rentals around campus as opposed to established, owner-occupants. Not to mention that the university unfortunately borders on one of the rough parts of town.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:04 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,166,072 times
Maybe a short sale? Can the experts tell us how to bid for a short sale....

Old 05-24-2008, 06:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,697 times
Default Under $90K in Tallahassee?

Sounds like my neighborhood! Houses built in the 40's, massive live oak trees, good mix of retired folk (original owners), rentals, and new folks renovating former rentals. Sales are slow in Tally right now, as elsewhere, so you can probably find something for not much more than $100k. My advice is to get a short-term lease and start looking in the area around the old Oakland Cemetery neighborhood. Don't let the yuppy faction scare you off with tales of the evil Frenchtown area! There has been a major revitilization effort for the past decade and it's a different place now. I would avoid the student ghetto of course, for sanity's sake!

Old 05-30-2008, 01:18 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,143,510 times
There are very nice older neighborhoods try OLD TOWN and Myers park area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee