Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2008, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 9,504 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am a single mom to an eight year old daughter and am currently in the process of interviewing with the state of FL for a job in Tallahassee. If I'm lucky enough to get a job offer, I'll need to quickly find an affordable apartment (up to $700) in a safe area. My foremost concern is that the area is safe for my daughter and has decent public schools. I'm open to commuting up to an hour one way if needed. I've read through these forums and can't believe how helpful you all are! Thanks so much in advance. Moving across the country, especially with a child, can be a scary proposition, so any advice will truly be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 01:11 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom75 View Post
Hello everyone! I am a single mom to an eight year old daughter and am currently in the process of interviewing with the state of FL for a job in Tallahassee. If I'm lucky enough to get a job offer, I'll need to quickly find an affordable apartment (up to $700) in a safe area. My foremost concern is that the area is safe for my daughter and has decent public schools. I'm open to commuting up to an hour one way if needed. I've read through these forums and can't believe how helpful you all are! Thanks so much in advance. Moving across the country, especially with a child, can be a scary proposition, so any advice will truly be appreciated.
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS, because it is damn hard to get a job with the state right now with the budget like it is.

I don't want you to post personal information, but can you tell us what agency hired you? It could make a difference on where you want to live. IOW, if you are working out of Southwood, you might not want to live in northern Tallahassee, or you might really have an hour commute.

One of the decent public schools in Leon County is literally two blocks from my house: DeSoto Trail Elementary. Nice facility, it has won several awards, etc. This school is situated in an area that is relatively safe...but not known for affordable housing. There are some smaller townhouse communites w/n walking distance (like Mint Hill), and some apartments farther up Thomasville Road which are new, but I am not sure they are all that affordable.

A good place to find affordable rental housing is here: Florida Housing Search - Socialserve.com
(A state-sponsored site).

I am in the affordable housing business, so you if want to send me a private message I could probably help you more specifically.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:43 AM

2 posts, read 15,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom75 View Post
I work for the state as well. Which agency are you interviewing with? You do know we don't get raises again this year, right? Another taxed out the ass bonus check. But enough bitterness.

Don't let anyone tell you that you need to commute for an hour. You can find what you need in the city and this coming from someone who loathes Tallahassee.

Most of the apartments around $700 are in good areas. Not great areas (Killearn would be considered a "great area") but in good areas. I could give you some ideas, but instead of droning on and on about it, find some places you're thinking about living and then post them in the thread. I'll be glad to tell you which places are good and which places aren't.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:01 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,059,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RChrisJ View Post
I work for the state as well. Which agency are you interviewing with? You do know we don't get raises again this year, right? Another taxed out the ass bonus check. But enough bitterness.

Don't let anyone tell you that you need to commute for an hour. You can find what you need in the city and this coming from someone who loathes Tallahassee.

Most of the apartments around $700 are in good areas. Not great areas (Killearn would be considered a "great area") but in good areas. I could give you some ideas, but instead of droning on and on about it, find some places you're thinking about living and then post them in the thread. I'll be glad to tell you which places are good and which places aren't.

Hope this helps.
Are those $700 apartment income restricted?
I have been seracing online and came arcoss much higher rate in Tallahassee!
Thanks.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:27 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,102 times
YEs its very family Friendly.... great place to raise kids.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 8,710 times
Hey Cougar, check your spelling before you head to that interview chances are you will be standing in line with a gazillion others hoping for that same job that has crossed every T and dotted every I. I do wish you luck even though I admit I am jealous since my husband was laid off and can't even get passed HR with the State with his master’s degree and years of experience!! Take care and best of luck.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:51 PM

13,615 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Honestly, for $700, you might have a hard time finding something nice and in a desirable location. My wife and I just moved back up here in November and we had a hard time finding a place that was within our budget. Finally though, we did find a great place through Arbor Properties which we're very happy with, and I would recommend looking into their properties. I would recommend the NE side of Tallahassee because of schools.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:11 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,102 times
Yes Tallahassee is VERY family friendly one of the best places to raise a kid with great parks and always top rated in quality of life.!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee