Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 07:29 PM

27,216 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechRider View Post
ok..I wanted to get a real estate attorney help me with short sale so that they can take care of everything and not let bank come hunting for me. hmm..so even if I use an attorney, I am at the risk of being followed?
Yes, which is why you should talk to a bankruptcy attorney who can file a motion to ge the bank off of your back until you figure out what course you're taking at the very least. Also bear in mind how many short sale properties are on the market right now and the fact that real estate sales are way down. On top of that factor in that a vast majority of buyers avoid short sales like the plague because dealing with a bank averages several months of negotiations and inconsistent communication. Buyers are like sellers, they want quick and easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 07:48 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
While you may qualify for HAFA or HAMP, you need to consult with an experienced attorney who can present you with your options and the legal consequences (foreclosure defense, loan modification, short sale, bankruptcy, strategic default, etc.). I'm sending you a direct message with a resource.

Just wanted to add that I am working with 9 short sales at the moment and it's not easy for anybody. There is no legislation and each lender has their own set of guidelines (Fannie and Freddie just implemented their own). For example, as of last week, Bank of America has a new deficiency policy and for delegated short sales, they're responding within 30 days and non-delegated short sales, they're responding within 60-90 days. An attorney should be your first point of contact and people experienced in the process today are going to be your best resource. What happened last year or even last month may be an interesting story but not necessarily the way it works today. Sad but true.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 08-30-2010 at 08:33 PM..

Old 08-30-2010, 07:50 PM

477 posts, read 736,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Yes, which is why you should talk to a bankruptcy attorney who can file a motion to ge the bank off of your back until you figure out what course you're taking at the very least. Also bear in mind how many short sale properties are on the market right now and the fact that real estate sales are way down. On top of that factor in that a vast majority of buyers avoid short sales like the plague because dealing with a bank averages several months of negotiations and inconsistent communication. Buyers are like sellers, they want quick and easy.
ok..The attorney available under my group plan seems to provide both services. I will discuss with him and find out the details.

PS: Should I really consider myself bankrupt or just not willing/able to pay for the underwater home (added by my job situation). I know I have few months left in my job and I hope to find another one but no gurantee how long it will take (since there are so many applicants in the market). I just want to be honest here that I do not want to pay for the house as I feel like I am just draining money(If bank is willing to reduce principal I am more than happy to keep the house and take the pain of mortgage amount..we have done lot of enhancements to the house..it just sucks to be in this situation.)

Anyway I will put my thoughts in front of the attorney and see what legal opinion he gives.

Thank you for all your suggestions.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
You need to consult with an experienced attorney who can present you with your options and the legal consequences. I'm sending you a direct message with a resource.
Thank you..I will checkout the message

Old 08-30-2010, 08:22 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
ok..I wanted to get a real estate attorney help me with short sale so that they can take care of everything and not let bank come hunting for me.

hmm..so even if I use an attorney, I am at the risk of being followed?
We have heard of very bad advise that some lawyers are giving...Btw the short sale I did as a buyer was with a real estate lawyer specialized in foreclosures...can you imagine what kind of lawyer she is to be in such a position...she married a realtor who was in an even bigger financial mess...I would stay far away from such a lawyer and there are plenty like them.

Of course you have even more that are very good lawyers but they charge accordingly.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:44 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
ok..I wanted to get a real estate attorney help me with short sale so that they can take care of everything and not let bank come hunting for me.

hmm..so even if I use an attorney, I am at the risk of being followed?

We hired a RE attorney to protect us. Our attorney could not protect us from not owing the banks at the end. In the end, like I mentioned above, we owe the bank $40k. Oh, and by the way, the bank came after us for $40k even though we were on 1 income. And we are only in our late 20's. The banks are not playing around.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:47 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
While you may qualify for HAFA or HAMP, you need to consult with an experienced attorney who can present you with your options and the legal consequences (foreclosure defense, loan modification, short sale, bankruptcy, strategic default, etc.). I'm sending you a direct message with a resource.

Just wanted to add that I am working with 9 short sales at the moment and it's not easy for anybody. There is no legislation and each lender has their own set of guidelines (Fannie and Freddie just implemented their own). For example, as of last week, Bank of America has a new deficiency policy and for delegated short sales, they're responding within 30 days and non-delegated short sales, they're responding within 60-90 days. An attorney should be your first point of contact and people experienced in the process today are going to be your best resource. What happened last year or even last month may be an interesting story but not necessarily the way it works today. Sad but true.

TampaKaren,

Whats the biggest deficiency you have seen thus far?

Old 08-30-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
We have heard of very bad advise that some lawyers are giving...Btw the short sale I did as a buyer was with a real estate lawyer specialized in foreclosures...can you imagine what kind of lawyer she is to be in such a position...she married a realtor who was in an even bigger financial mess...I would stay far away from such a lawyer and there are plenty like them.

Of course you have even more that are very good lawyers but they charge accordingly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
We hired a RE attorney to protect us. Our attorney could not protect us from not owing the banks at the end. In the end, like I mentioned above, we owe the bank $40k. Oh, and by the way, the bank came after us for $40k even though we were on 1 income. And we are only in our late 20's. The banks are not playing around.
hmm..ok..so if I have 40K I would never think about short sale but I guess banks will draw until the last penny they can.

so I will ask attorney specifically what can he do to stop banks coming after me post short sale, otherwise I don't see any real benefit paying them

Old 08-30-2010, 10:13 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
TampaKaren,

Whats the biggest deficiency you have seen thus far?
So far, it's $152K. A transaction scheduled to close (hurricane willing) this week will be the largest I've seen at ~$300K. It's been a long 5 months.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:58 AM

thanks to all of you who have been advising me.
I am about to dial an attorney from my network, so before I do that, do I need both a RE Attorney and a Real estate agent to handle the short sale

sorry if it is a dumb question
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay