Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2010, 04:38 PM

164 posts, read 460,691 times

Advertisements

sorry guys another random question!

Just as a matter of interest, how much should I budget for if my child needs braces?? My eldest is thankfully getting her braces removed and retainers made for her here in Scotland (which is all free within our national health service) before we leave for Florida, but my youngest is likely to need them in a year or 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 07:32 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,656,250 times
I think it would depend on how much "work" needs to be done. My daughters braces will need 2 phases. First phase cost around $3,500 (insurance paid about 50% of that). Once all her baby teeth are gone and she has most of her adult teeth in, she will go into phase 2. I have not gotten an estimate for that phase, but she will have a full set of braces. First phase was palette expander, bands on her far upper back teeth and front teeth to correct her underbite and pull together her two front teeth. She now wears night braces to maintain the work done until we start phase 2.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:13 AM

164 posts, read 460,691 times
Michety me I choked and spat my apple all over the laptop there! lol

Jings! $3500 for phase 1!?!?:

My daughter required 2 phases too...She had a regular brace initially to correct bit etc, then a few months later got the full train tracks fitted upper and lower. She's had them on for about a year, with regular 6 weekly visits to the orthodontist for adjustments/tightening etc. It's actually pretty amazing to see how the orthodontists figure it all out...must all be laws of physics with various forces and pushing/pulling going on!
I was a bit concerned re how much the ongoing work was going to cost me, but thankfully the orthodontist has advised her braces are ready to come off now and she will make the retainer that my daughter has to wear every night maintain the completed look before we head offski . Excellent!

Now I'll just need to pray that my youngest doesn't require 'em! So far so good with her existing teeth just being slightly off angle, but her adult teeth aren't all through yet and my dentist here said she may well require a bit of orthodontic work.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:17 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,656,250 times
Could your daughter spend a summer up in Scotland with family and have them put on while up there? Then have an orthodonstist take care of them down here? I imagine that would be cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay