Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 07:37 AM

22 posts, read 37,701 times

Advertisements

Thank you guys but now I'm headed in a totally different direction. I want to know being at the age of 21 not having a car and from the tri-state area which is a less commuter school FAU or USF. I decided to go with these two schools since they are much cheaper, and being a MIS major USF I heard has a good program. Since I am older and financially not that set to get an apartment I want to dorm first with a friend. The thing is between FAU AND USF I want to know which has a better campus life, more things to do in the area of the town such as clubbing, which one has more beaches that are closer, and has things of that nature like a good mall and retail or office positions if I was to get a job. PLEASE REPLY ASAP FOR I AM IN THE PROCESS OF APPLICATIONS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 07:49 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
I would lean toward FAU in terms of things to do, proximity/ease of going to the beach and employment opportunities. I think both schools are pretty equal in terms of commuter-orientation, with each having a significant number of off-campus residents, but both schools have been working diligently to improve on-campus housing in recent years.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:52 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,309,843 times
I couldnt tell you a thing about FAU. it's four hours away from here, but USF, while in Tampa, is quite far north of the city. you would have to travel 20 minutes or more (depending on traffic) for good night life. Tampa (and Boca) are NOT college towns, and both require a car. There are a lot of schools where a car isnt a necessity, these two towns do not fall into that category..

I can tell you that you will meet more people and have a larger pool of friends and things to do for people your age in tampa. Boca is the retirement community of America and shuts down after the early bird specials at 4 pm.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
Boca is the retirement community of America and shuts down after the early bird specials at 4 pm.
That's kind of an outdated stereotype (The Seinfeld TV series did some spoofs on Boca 20 years ago), much like the stereotypes many have about current day St Petersburg. Currently half the population of Boca Raton is under the age of 45 and FAU (not counted in the population stats) has 26,000 full time students.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:16 AM

Well can you tell me Florida Schools that are college towns and have good reps and Business programs and I don't really need a car to enjoy my stay there, my movie is strictly for new scenery for I am well established academically and I'm over 21 but I need to dorm to get myself situated and together so which school would be best out of the two or any of that matter in Florida.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjay190 View Post
Well can you tell me Florida Schools that are college towns and have good reps and Business programs and I don't really need a car to enjoy my stay there, my movie is strictly for new scenery for I am well established academically and I'm over 21 but I need to dorm to get myself situated and together so which school would be best out of the two or any of that matter in Florida.
UF has the best business program in FL. I think it ranked 30 something in the nation, the highest of any other florida school. Gainsville is a real college town.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:39 AM

The U of Miami and UF are #54 and #55 respectively for Undergraduate Business Programs. For MBA programs the rankings have UF at #39, FSU at #75 and U of Miami at #89. Gainesville is really the only college town in Florida, though Tallahassee definitely has a college feel to it as well.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:45 AM

158 posts, read 284,341 times
Gainesville is a great college town and you can walk everywhere. I like the campus enviroment there.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:10 PM

Thanks a lot. The reason I was leaning towards FAU and USF is because they are a lot cheaper that those schools that you guys have mentioned. I just want to know if you had to chose being in my situation which one would you for especially one towards beaches and clubs and even if I do need a car which one can I get by with shorter distances rather than long public tranportation.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:13 PM

It is going to be generally cheaper for you to live in Tampa IMO. Stricly from a location standpoint, I would be leaning more towards USF. You'll make friends with cars either way, I think Tampa is more "college kid friendly"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay