Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2016, 10:50 AM

95 posts, read 290,341 times

Advertisements

A Good Home Inspector can be vital to your home purchase. But I emphasize "GOOD" and "GREAT". Back in the day in New England circa 1984 a crazy real estate time. I called a Home Inspectors and I described what I wanted " To cover every inch and crevice and make sure I'm not walking into a liability" Some answered with silenced and so I moved on and found one who met my requirements. He did looked at everything told me the furnace was old but had a good reputation but would last me at least 5 years. He was GREAT. Another time in New Hampshire an inspector was recommended from a reliable source and I so I didn't do my screening, Yep I assumed he was good. He was very bad. The report he did was of no help and he never checked out important things and gave 0 suggestions. Then my best experience happened here in Florida. I got the referral from discussions here on City Data. He was terrific. He knew how to do his job. i am really grateful to City Data for all the wondeful folks that have helped. And so I have to be committed to give back also, this is how it works. If you need any help message me ty Kelticroam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 07:24 AM

133 posts, read 131,420 times
Most of them are bogus and incompetent

Old 10-11-2016, 09:01 AM

95 posts, read 290,341 times
Not all of them. One has to do their research. That's the way it is today.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:11 AM

133 posts, read 131,420 times
They are omnipresent now, sorta like pool cleaners lol

Old 10-21-2016, 06:19 AM

17 posts, read 11,871 times
We've used Bay Area inspections twice, the most recent was yesterday for a home we're buying in Dunedin. They (Kelly) is extremely thorough and professional. The report is detailed including lots of photos and explanations. At the same time he's a very friendly, down to earth guy. I highly recommend and no I have no affiliation.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:49 AM

27,219 posts, read 46,807,770 times
We have seen so many bad ones and only a few good ones who after a few times, some of them turned to be lacking the same quality as they had shown before.

Perhaps the additional work made them think they were so good they were now no longer inspectors but advisors and either lacked to check everything or went out of their way by saying things that are not within the scope of their job description.

Don't get me wrong, I rather have a deal fall through and protect our clients from not knowing something that could have changed their decision in buying that home and move on to look for a better home.

Some buyers want a home regardless of the issues but they deserve to know as that is why they pay for a home inspection.

Home inspectors are not roofers and shouldn't act like they are. They should inform what they feel requires a roof inspector to come out as some will make comments about certain items that inspectors would say a roof is not good and than a roofer comes out and for $ 75.00 a roofer will give a professional opinion and advise.

One inspector scared an owner so much about a roof having approx. 5 years left on the roof that owners got very scared to buy the home. In the end the owners bought the home after hiring a roofer as we recommended as only a roofer has the knowledge about code requirements as often codes are updated so many times and many inspectors are handyman who know as a home inspector the work is not as hard as often as a handyman.

That same inspector missed the home being a total mold home which he could have gotten a suspicious if by going into the attic which he didn't do as his back was hurting and the space too small.

Of course the buyers refused a mold inspection which they signed off on to refuse and that was a huge mistake. The seller who was a realtor didn't disclose water issues on the lot.

In the end the buyers moved in and immediately out and the entire drywall was removed. Lawyer after lawyer declined the case as the brokerage for that realtor and the realtor in question were very know due to buying a flipping homes and being around for a long time ad already done much business in the area and lawyers coming back saying it was conflict of interest. Also the denial of conducting a mold test was not making their case stronger and the inspector was protected when the buyers got the report and already in the fine print the hold harmless clause is included.

Inspectors are very protected if something is neglected so better get a good one as it is more important then you may think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: