Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 12:28 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Thank you gypsychic for the great post.

I cannot imagine what it would be like to be able to be in such great weather year around and never have to be shut in for months on end.

For some the tropical buzz wears off quickly as they find themselves not doing well financially and with that comes depression and not being happy so the tropical buzz becomes another thing to blame.

My saying is I would much rather be poor in Tampa Florida then poor in Columbus, Ohio any day. Far more ways to make extra money in Florida and tons of free things to do. Columbus has nothing you can really enjoy for free if you have no money.
Tampa's unemployment rate is 12.4 and Columbus' is 8.5. Please share how there are far more ways to make money. And what is free to do in Florida but not in Ohio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 12:38 AM

61 posts, read 135,362 times
The only way I'd move to Ohio is if I was paid well enough to fly somewhere every weekend. Such a dull and boring place, across the board.

Last edited by lostintime83; 04-02-2011 at 12:47 AM..

Old 04-02-2011, 05:56 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,308,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Tampa's unemployment rate is 12.4 and Columbus' is 8.5. Please share how there are far more ways to make money. And what is free to do in Florida but not in Ohio?
The beach, for starters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostintime83 View Post
The only way I'd move to Ohio is if I was paid well enough to fly somewhere every weekend. Such a dull and boring place, across the board.
I agree. I have been to Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland. How the suicicde rate is not astronomical in Ohio is beyond me.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:22 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
Doing what exactly? can you be specific?

What is free here that's not somewhere else??? cause going to a Museum here costs over $120 for a family of 4 while in DC you have an awesome selection with incredible exhibits for FREE! A whole National Mall worth of them! A FREE Zoo...also awesome etc etc etc as I said before, "the things to do" are Highly subjective as we're not all into craft festivals and kayaking!!!

The fair was $5 bucks! to walk around in the heat for questionable attractions!

Sorry Gipsychic but Tampa is no match for Europe! I suggest YOU go and then make an educated comment on that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Far more ways to make extra money in Florida and tons of free things to do. Columbus has nothing you can really enjoy for free if you have no money.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:38 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
Comparing Florida to Ohio is like comparing apples to oranges. Ohio is landlocked, oppressive and boring. Try comparing FL to Washington DC, like algia posted, "A family of 4 while in DC you have an awesome selection with incredible exhibits for FREE! A whole National Mall worth of them! A FREE Zoo." Try comparing it to Cape Cod where golf courses are open year round because the snowfall is nil or minimal and ocean views abound. For those who suffer from sweateritis (fear of having to put on a sweater) then I suppose Florida is ideal. For the rest of us who like to breath air through our lungs instead of drowning in humidity, there are a trillion other alternatives to Florida. For me the Tropical buzz wore off with the first fall when I ached to rake leaves and see foliage but all I got were browned out fronds and 90++ weather.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:46 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post

What is free here that's not somewhere else??? cause going to a Museum here costs over $120 for a family of 4 while in DC you have an awesome selection with incredible exhibits for FREE! A whole National Mall worth of them! A FREE Zoo...also awesome etc etc etc as I said before, "the things to do" are Highly subjective as we're not all into craft festivals and kayaking!!!

Sorry Gipsychic but Tampa is no match for Europe! I suggest YOU go and then make an educated comment on that
If you can't figure out the free things to do around Tampa then I can understand your frustration with living here.
That being said, there are a multitude of free things to do, beach, parks, manatee viewing, Yuengling Brewery Tour. There is so much more but you are not really interested, you just want to take your shots at Tampa.

You say Tampa is no match for Europe but you and many others keep moving here from Europe. That would tell me that Tampa might just have certain parts of Europe beat.
Instead of telling me what Tampa doesn't have that Europe does, because for everything you can tell me one place in Europe has that Tampa doesn't I can match it with something Tampa has that that place in Europe doesn't. So please tell me we have many Europeans are.moving here

Old 04-02-2011, 06:57 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
Why Europeans move to FL.. 1 euro = 1.4234 US dollars

Old 04-02-2011, 07:11 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
I told you before, for family...not scenery and extreme humidity 7 months+ a year.

Other Europeans feel different, I can't speak for all of them.
"You" may find "watching manatees" extremely entertaining....I find it Boring! which is why I said it is highly subjective. Florida doesn't stand a chance next to Nice! (France) for example...Nice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

LOL, I don't drink, a Brewery visit would be the last thing I would ever want to do or found entertaining! sorry. Some of us live past beer!

We just don't have the option to move back! simple as that, at least not right now...You really can't compare Florida/Tampa with anywhere else, and when talking about things to do, as I said before many time, it is highly subjective but in all fairness you can't compare DC=FREE Museums with Tampa's offerings! that's just not possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
If you can't figure out the free things to do around Tampa then I can understand your frustration with living here.
That being said, there are a multitude of free things to do, beach, parks, manatee viewing, Yuengling Brewery Tour. There is so much more but you are not really interested, you just want to take your shots at Tampa.

You say Tampa is no match for Europe but you and many others keep moving here from Europe. That would tell me that Tampa might just have certain parts of Europe beat.
Instead of telling me what Tampa doesn't have that Europe does, because for everything you can tell me one place in Europe has that Tampa doesn't I can match it with something Tampa has that that place in Europe doesn't. So please tell me we have many Europeans are.moving here

Old 04-02-2011, 07:58 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
IMHO I have found over the years that those folks who relocate to FL expecting some kind of magical experience to happen to them are the ones who complain the most. Especially those who don't know how to make a decent living, or simply can't. Then they blame a geographical area for their failures in life. We have one poster here who relocated back north but still haunts this forum to relate the horrors of FL living. My bet is they simply need the support of family to survive. It makes me wonder why they ever left their personal paradise to come here in the first place. I lived in NYC for the first 30 years of my life. I don't go to the NYC boards to ***** and moan how bad it was/is there, I know what I left and why. Its way behind me. We have another poster who apparently regrets ever leaving Europe. However, since they are on the fringe of poverty and can't fork over $5 to go to an event they blame the entire State of Florida for their inability to succeed. They seem to think that living somewhere else is going to erase that problem. Trust me, it won't. Or they have created off spring that they can't support on their own and expect the State of Florida to provide for their needs in every way shape and form. Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

The biggest complaint I see by the disenchanted is the weather. I can't believe that these folks had no idea of the weather patterns in the Southern part of the U.S. I knew when I was 7 years old that it's hotter in the South and colder in the North.

To find fault with everything in any place shows me that the fault finder is living a very unhappy life to begin with and thought that living in FL will magically make it all better. Obviously it doesn't.

People all over the world relocate from one place to another for one reason or another. Seems a few folks made big life changes without understanding the consequences and yearn to correct their mistake.

For those people I strongly recommend that they do something to get themselves out of the hell they feel they live in and give it a go someplace else. Get 2 lower paying jobs (since that is all they can achieve), cut off everything except the bare necessities, save up your bucks and leave. Then they can inhabit the forums for that area and complain about the COL, taxes, weather, lack of this or that, roads, drivers, native populace and whatever else they can trash to make themselves feel better about their situations.

I am simply tired of hearing the whining from the same few people here day after day with no end.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:01 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post

Don't you read I said my HUSBAND lived in Europe and he prefers here. And in case you didn't know, Tampa is a CITY, Europe is a CONTINENT! One doesn't compare one little city with an entire continent! good god, your hatred for all things Florida is mind-boggling! Guess what, we have wealthy friends from FRANCE who bought here and prefer it as well. they love the US, and especially Florida. You are WAY OVERDUE for leaving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay