Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 12:53 PM

3 posts, read 19,918 times

Advertisements

Ok, my husband is looking at a potential job in Largo. I am a native Floridian and he lived there about 10 years before we moved to TN 3 years ago. We've lived in several areas including Tampa and Plant City but we are not as familiar with Pinellas county. We have 3 children from 5-10 so schools are important. Housing prices are high compared to TN and I understand homeowners insurance is ridiculous.

What area do you think we should live in for (Largo, Palm Harbor, HOliday, Pinellas Park, Dunedin, Clearwater, Tarpon Springs, etc.):

Affordable housing and insurance (below $250K w/at least 1800 square feet)

Good schools

Not too long of a commute from Largo

Family friendly (activities for kids, sports, cub scouts, etc.)

Church is very important and there is one in Pinellas Park and Clearwater.

Also, are the housing markets still dropping like crazy? We heard a rumor that buyers can come in and make low offers in relation to the actual asking prices and sellers will accept them.

Sorry for my rambling but I really want whatever information we can obtain.

Thanks.

Last edited by mandare20; 02-26-2007 at 01:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 05:39 PM

51 posts, read 67,182 times
My vote would be Largo, it's more centrally located in Pinellas county. The housing market has dropped some what but in my opinion is still too high. Taxes and insurance are going up every year and have almost gotten out of control with no end in sight. Kinda funny.....I'm trying to escape Florida and want to build in Tennessee.....you are trying to leave Tennessee and move to Florida!!! The grass always seems greener on the other side.

Floridacracker

Old 02-26-2007, 07:37 PM

471 posts, read 1,660,787 times
Largo would probably be best to avoid a long commute, I just found it too congested.Ditto for Pinellas Park. Dunedin and Palm Harbor have a different atmosphere imo-more scenic and small town coastal, but you may not want to deal with the commute. (I have driven from North Largo to PH in ½ hr during rush hour along Alt 19).
so far my personal favorite and where we have chosen to live for a year while we explore, is Palm Harbor.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:03 AM

3 posts, read 19,918 times
Default Reply

Thanks for the suggestions. I live in East TN and it is a BEAUTIFUL area. I can see the mountains outside my bedroom window. However, all of our family is still in FL and won't leave so that is the main reason we are considering moving back. You'll love TN though!

Does anyonw know how far it would take in rush hour from Largo to southern Pasco?

Old 02-27-2007, 07:03 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
One quick thought for you. Property taxes are higher in Pinellas county compared to Pasco county.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:21 AM

442 posts, read 2,912,422 times
there is a new road a toll i think called the suncoast parkway that goes from Pasco county all the way to tampa..and if it were my choice i would take Dunedin or Palm Harbor.. and commute...when i was growing up in Clearwater Largo was not the place to be but things may have changed...
I would for sure look into Pasco county .. there are alot of new developements there

Old 04-13-2011, 08:27 AM

2 posts, read 7,360 times
I am also looking for a church once I get there. I presently attend an Assembly of God church, which is very diverse; I love this especially! I also would like to find a church which has alot of family and kid programs. I have 3 grandchildren; 12,8 and 6. Any advice would be helpful.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,460 times
I lived in Tampa, Temple Terrace, Holiday, Clearwater and St. Pete. I did elementary in Clearwater and St. Pete, college in Clearwater and Tampa, but I attended Middle School and High School in Dunedin. I would choose Dunedin, if not for your commute to Largo. Otherwise, North Clearwater, or specifically Countryside are very nice and near the 49th St Bridge to Largo. North Pinellas is particularly beautiful, but does have pockets of blight. Be sure and walk or bicycle any of the neighborhoods you are interested in first. Or at least, use google street view if you can't visit directly. The whole Bay Area has been covered several times by the googlemobile.

-Jim

Old 04-14-2011, 07:51 AM

494 posts, read 1,675,407 times
Largo to S Pasco depends where you live. West Pasco you could take US19. That's not a fun drive daily. East Pasco, Well there isn't really a direct road.

You will waste more in time and gas than you save worrying about the taxes IMHO.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:49 PM

30,400 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Stay away from Hoilday as that is a drug dealers dream area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay