Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 05:35 AM

769 posts, read 2,051,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I didn't say it was easy, I said get a realtor and find them. Sure in some areas you're right, there are a lot of shacks, but as far as I am concerned, what I save on housing I spend on gas to get everywhere else and at the way gas prices are being hiked plus the fact that there is no valid public transit, you bet I want the shortest commute possible.

I think I would Google where the job IS then decided if I want it that bad since it would make my commute a living hell. What's the point in moving here if you'll be spending 3/4 of your time driving?

I don't want to live by the water, (hurricane, flood insurance would be a killer etc) that was not my point, I said I want to live close to amenities such as grocery stores etc. not have to drive 20 minutes to get to a grocery store as in some cases up in Land O Lakes...
Some cases is correct. I have a Publix, and a Sweetbay within 5 minutes of my house. Within 10 minutes there's another Publix, a Sam's Club, and a SuperTarget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 05:42 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
Yeah, can you walk to it? I have one within 10 Driving minutes from my house too but there is no way I could walk to it! As a New Yorker, and "I" as European having lived with NY style "everything in walking distance"....FL/Tampa Bay is the least walkable place I've ever lived in.

I also have a SweetBay within 5 Driving minutes, also can't walk to it due to lack of sidewalks.

NPR However is far from Clearwater...I mean US19 has a million stop lights and it is stop and go for miles.....it would make a very annoying commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
Some cases is correct. I have a Publix, and a Sweetbay within 5 minutes of my house. Within 10 minutes there's another Publix, a Sam's Club, and a SuperTarget.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:31 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
From New Port Richey, center, to Clearwater, center, it is less than 25 miles. U.S. 19 will take you from point A to point B without much hassle. U.S. 19 becomes an elevated highway without traffic lights at one point. The speed limit from just north of Tarpon Springs is 55mph. Traffic moves quite well.
You will find the expected congestion during the prime time drive (rush hours). The trip, as noted above, is about 45 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlcha View Post
husband got a job in clearwater. I see the nicer homes for the money in new port richey pasco county area. when I talk to reators they all act like new port richey is way too far. I was thinking lower new port richey. They say with traffic its far. Does anyone live there know ? What nice areas are close to clearwater ? How about Tampa ?

Old 04-27-2011, 08:59 AM

If you wanted everything in walking distance why on earth did you ever think of leaving Europe or NY? I lived in NYC for 30 years. The choices within "walking distance" of my apartment were quite limited. If you wanted to use a different supermarket for instance, you needed to drive, or take a bus. Same for hardware stores, dry cleaners, restaurants, variety stores, movie theaters, etc.

You make it sound like you are 100 miles from the middle of no where. Lutz, where you have stated before as where you reside, is a whopping 15 miles from the center of Tampa.
Lutz went from 5k residents in 1980 to over 19k in 2010. I guess 15k people thought otherwise.

Meanwhile, NPR to Clearwater is 25 miles. You think 25 miles is "far"?

As far as walking in NYC for instance, here is a scene I shot on 5th Avenue last fall. Very inviting, isnt it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Yeah, can you walk to it? I have one within 10 Driving minutes from my house too but there is no way I could walk to it! As a New Yorker, and "I" as European having lived with NY style "everything in walking distance"....FL/Tampa Bay is the least walkable place I've ever lived in.

I also have a SweetBay within 5 Driving minutes, also can't walk to it due to lack of sidewalks.

NPR However is far from Clearwater...I mean US19 has a million stop lights and it is stop and go for miles.....it would make a very annoying commute.

Last edited by Spring Hillian; 05-04-2011 at 01:46 PM..

Old 04-27-2011, 10:27 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,168 times
When I first moved to New Port Richey (US 19 & SR54), I was working in downtown Clearwater. After just a few months, I was happy to have been replaced while I was on maternity leave. Even though I had a new baby to support, I was happy to have lost my job. Part of that was the company itself, but it was mostly the commute. Where I had to drive every day would take between 1 hour to 1.5 hours. I remember once making it in 50 minutes and that was on a holiday that a lot of people were out of work for so traffic was lighter. It was horrible stop and go traffic the entire way. Half of the time I felt like I could walk to work faster. It was just really frustrating to sit in traffic that is not moving for a couple of hours every day.

After that I worked at MLK (in Tarpon Springs) and US 19. That was about a 20 - 30 minute commute. Even though it isn't too much of a commute, it was still an annoying one because of the nature of US 19 in that area. You sit a lot of the time. If you have not dealt with rush hour on 19 in this area, it is hard to explain.

I also worked in Holiday and my 2 mile commute straight down 19 would take 15 - 20 minutes.

I now work off of SR 54, but 4 times the distance of the Holiday job. I get to work in about 15 minutes. Even though I am driving 4 times farther, I am getting there in the same time frame. It also feels much quicker because I am moving the whole time.

A New Port Richey to Clearwater commute is out of the question for me. Unless I was getting paid double what I am now, I wouldn't consider the drive.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:51 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,204,742 times
Answer is anywhere from 40min to 1.5hours.

Best you can do is shop for that house you want to by from NPR/Tarpon Spring and when you get one you like drive to your work and ask yourself if you want to do that a million times. If you can use us19 and work is in countryside that's doable. I won't do it myself though.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:19 AM

13 posts, read 45,743 times
I have a house in NPR (34655 zip code) and it takes 35mins to get to Clearwater. Rush hour could add another 5 or 10.

I avoid 19 because of the lights and traffic. 611 is a good alternative for a good stretch and runs parallel to 19.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:02 PM

30,434 posts, read 21,271,177 times
One thing is for sure, just about every red light will get ya.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:25 PM

They sure will if you race from red light to red light. The lights are timed so if you do the speed limit, actually a little under, you will hit few red lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
One thing is for sure, just about every red light will get ya.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:56 PM

30,434 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
They sure will if you race from red light to red light. The lights are timed so if you do the speed limit, actually a little under, you will hit few red lights.
Don't give me that. I have lived in the Tampa area all of my life and have had to wrestle with red lights for many years. Day after day the same lights would get me no matter how the traffic was or how slow or how fast i would drive. I think most people would agree with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay