Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 05:59 PM

60 posts, read 163,210 times

Advertisements

I know this is an old post but we FINALLY got our tags today and I was going to share what we paid. We didn't have to pay the $225 per vehicle for registration because my husband has had 2 tags in FL before, lucky lucky lucky! lol We paid $184 for his truck and $166 for my car, it would have been $225 more each if we never had tags in FL before. They said next year it will run about $140 for both cars together. Just wanted to share
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 07:35 PM

389 posts, read 804,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalou76 View Post
I know this is an old post but we FINALLY got our tags today and I was going to share what we paid. We didn't have to pay the $225 per vehicle for registration because my husband has had 2 tags in FL before, lucky lucky lucky! lol We paid $184 for his truck and $166 for my car, it would have been $225 more each if we never had tags in FL before. They said next year it will run about $140 for both cars together. Just wanted to share
$225 each more on top of 184 and 166? Or, just 225 total per car? I just got my florida drivers license this week but haven't done the cars yet, not in too big of a hurry yet because we haven't sold our home out of state. Also, I figure I need to line up the auto insurance first before changing the plates and address, I figure my current insurance might not be the proper rate etc.. if I tell them I moved. Again, I have a home in another state so I think this is fine.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:50 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,011,838 times
My girlfriend just registered her car and it cost about $430. That was for title transfer, plates, and tag. It's good for a year.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:13 PM

60 posts, read 163,210 times
It would have been $225 for each car on top of the $184 & 166. So glad my husband had tags in FL before he joined the military 21 years ago! lol

Old 09-11-2011, 12:27 AM

156 posts, read 433,950 times
How did they get around this legally? When I moved there in 1994, they had a $395 initial registration fee and it was ruled unconstitutional by the Florida Supreme Court. I ended up getting a refund in the mail later that year.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:43 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,670,441 times
I just paid $398.00 to get my FL license plate and car registered. Yikes!

Old 09-11-2011, 06:23 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,629,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserable Midwest View Post
How did they get around this legally? When I moved there in 1994, they had a $395 initial registration fee and it was ruled unconstitutional by the Florida Supreme Court. I ended up getting a refund in the mail later that year.
I think the way it worked back then it was an "impact fee" that only new residents had to pay - Florida residents paid the normal fee. Now everyone must pay the initial registration fee on the first car you register in the state, even Floridians. So now it treats everyone the same instead of having special rules just for transplants.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:47 PM

6 posts, read 11,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
There's a big difference of asking a question that is very easily found vs discussing a topic.
When I moved here I googled the cost and couldn't figure it out from the list of fees the DMV posted. So I called. What I was told on the phone was different from what I ended up paying. For instance, nobody told me that there was a difference in cost when going to the Tax Collector offices versus going downtown to the one and only DMV office in Hillsborough county.

Not to mention that DMV rep told me it should be pretty easy once I had the paper work (which I had and in fact had two of each category from their sheet). I ended up spending 6 hours at the DMV including a trip to my bank for the title. Having been through the process I can help others when they have the same questions I did.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:32 AM

389 posts, read 804,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by translator9 View Post
When I moved here I googled the cost and couldn't figure it out from the list of fees the DMV posted. So I called. What I was told on the phone was different from what I ended up paying. For instance, nobody told me that there was a difference in cost when going to the Tax Collector offices versus going downtown to the one and only DMV office in Hillsborough county.

Not to mention that DMV rep told me it should be pretty easy once I had the paper work (which I had and in fact had two of each category from their sheet). I ended up spending 6 hours at the DMV including a trip to my bank for the title. Having been through the process I can help others when they have the same questions I did.
What is the cost difference between the tax collector vs to the actual DMV?

Old 09-15-2011, 05:39 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,629,470 times
I think it is about $6 extra to use a tax collector's office if I recall correctly. It's worth it, the tax collector offices are very efficient and even without an appointment I have never had to wait more than fifteen minutes for my turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay