Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 11:21 AM

257 posts, read 470,179 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure that the lighting problems are that big of a deal, but they highlight a bigger problem. The stadium is just terrible in every possible way.

I'm also not sure that building a new stadium makes ticket prices go up significantly. I grew up in Georgia, so I guess I've been spoiled by Turner Field. I can still get Braves tickets for around $10 most of the time.

I just can't get over how bad the Trop is. I remember going to the old Fulton County Stadium in Atlanta as a kid (supposedly was a crappy stadium), but I thought that even it compared favorably to the Trop.

I can't speak for everybody else that doesn't go to a lot of Rays games, but the stadium really does put a damper on the experience for me, and it does keep me from going to a lot of games.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:04 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,283,237 times
I'm going to step in and defend the Trop. I used to hate the gloominess of it, but after visiting many other ballparks, the Trop has, by far, the best sight lines of any stadium. A $9 seat in the front of the 300-level at the Trop is the middle level at many other parks. The last game I attended, about a dozen foul balls made it up there. There are 500- and 600-levels in some places that have probably NEVER seen a foul ball.

I don't need a bunch of superfluous amenities at the game. Just get me a good seat so I can watch some ball.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:19 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp01358 View Post
I'm not sure that the lighting problems are that big of a deal, but they highlight a bigger problem. The stadium is just terrible in every possible way.

I'm also not sure that building a new stadium makes ticket prices go up significantly. I grew up in Georgia, so I guess I've been spoiled by Turner Field. I can still get Braves tickets for around $10 most of the time.

I just can't get over how bad the Trop is. I remember going to the old Fulton County Stadium in Atlanta as a kid (supposedly was a crappy stadium), but I thought that even it compared favorably to the Trop.

I can't speak for everybody else that doesn't go to a lot of Rays games, but the stadium really does put a damper on the experience for me, and it does keep me from going to a lot of games.

How do you expect that a $500 million dollar stadium won't bring a higher priced seat?

I just checked the prices for a weekday game Braves-Pirates and they charge three times what I pay for the Rays games. Your $10 seats are in the outfield or 4th deck - I've been up there at the TED and you can barely make out who the players are.

If you don't go to the stadium because you don't like the aesthetics of the stadium, I'd peg you as not a true baseball fan.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
I'm going to step in and defend the Trop. I used to hate the gloominess of it, but after visiting many other ballparks, the Trop has, by far, the best sight lines of any stadium. A $9 seat in the front of the 300-level at the Trop is the middle level at many other parks. The last game I attended, about a dozen foul balls made it up there. There are 500- and 600-levels in some places that have probably NEVER seen a foul ball.

I don't need a bunch of superfluous amenities at the game. Just get me a good seat so I can watch some ball.
The $9 seats are much more definitely more expensive in other parks. I recently attended a game at the Mets new stadium and sat so far up, I was actually getting acrophobia - and paid a ton for the seat - and was pretty damn cold sitting in the wind up there. I enjoy going to the Trop and just returned from a trip to the ticket office for four more games in the coming season.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:22 PM

794 posts, read 1,860,786 times
The stadium should be built by Ask Gary stadium.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:35 PM

257 posts, read 470,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
How do you expect that a $500 million dollar stadium won't bring a higher priced seat?

I just checked the prices for a weekday game Braves-Pirates and they charge three times what I pay for the Rays games. Your $10 seats are in the outfield or 4th deck - I've been up there at the TED and you can barely make out who the players are.

If you don't go to the stadium because you don't like the aesthetics of the stadium, I'd peg you as not a true baseball fan.
It's not the aesthetics alone, but the atmosphere. I'd be willing to pay more for a decent atmosphere. Otherwise, why not sit at home and watch the game?

Old 07-20-2011, 02:36 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
I just looked for tickets and the cheapest ticket I could find was $20 after fees. Are these $9 games for Silver games? Afternoon on a weekday against a team nobody wants to see? Also, you can bring food into the Trop? Where can I confirm this?

Old 07-20-2011, 03:05 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp01358 View Post
It's not the aesthetics alone, but the atmosphere. I'd be willing to pay more for a decent atmosphere. Otherwise, why not sit at home and watch the game?
Even at home watching on TV I like packed places. Otherwise, it looks like a minor league. Only after seeing their jersey that I could see it is MLB .

No matter how you slice it, I think Tampa Bay is not capable of supporting 3 major sports, period.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
I just looked for tickets and the cheapest ticket I could find was $20 after fees. Are these $9 games for Silver games? Afternoon on a weekday against a team nobody wants to see? Also, you can bring food into the Trop? Where can I confirm this?
I don't pay admin/handling fees because I buy at the gate (not the day of the game).

General Rules
* ITEMS ALLOWED IN FACILITY :

Food/Drink/Soft sided Containers:

Food items wrapped, bagged or contained in clear packaging (peanut bags, re-sealable plastic bags, etc.) in soft containers no larger than 16”x16”x8” that can fit under a fans seat.

Snacks for children

Single-serving juice boxes

Bottled water in sealed plastic water bottles (no larger than 1 liter.)

Small Bags:
Bags, backpacks or other articles must fit within a space of 16 inches long, 16 inches tall, and 8 inches wide and are subject to inspection from security.

Tropicana Field Tampa Bay Rays St Petersburg, FL tickets. Directions, seating chart, events. Official Ticketmaster site.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:15 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
The new Marlin's stadium in Miami

New Ballpark Webcam | marlins.com: Ballpark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay