Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 01:34 PM

5 posts, read 12,867 times

Advertisements

St. Petersburg Old NE or Harbour Island Tampa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone,

We are relocating to Tamba Bay area and are undecided about whether to live in St. Petersburg Old NE neighborhood or Harbour Island. We have young children and would like a nice family neighborhood. The reason we are having trouble deciding is that we are still both looking for jobs. It seems like there is more work in Tampa, so Harbour Island seems sensible in that it would have a shorter commute if we were to get work in Tampa. Does anyone have experience of commuting from Tampa (or possibly North Tampa) to and from St. Petersburg on a daily basis? What's the commute time and traffic like? How's the job market in St. Petersburg? Can anyone tell us pros / cons about the two areas?

Your help is hugely appreciated!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 01:26 AM

33 posts, read 113,879 times
Across the bridges.. .if you get behind and accident, it could be an hour or more! with young children and what you have posted here, I vote Harbour Island Hands down!
Moderator cut: soliciting
Katrina

Last edited by Marka; 08-08-2007 at 09:56 AM..

Old 08-05-2007, 05:49 AM

19 posts, read 52,169 times
Take a day off for pete's sake Katrina........or do you sell real estate 24/7. My best friend commutes from Clearwater to Tampa every day for work (N.E.Coachman Rd) and it takes 1/2 of an hour.........no big deal. There are allot of reasons to live in Clearwater if you like beaches and the ocean. Tampa can't compare in those areas. Allot of the people who live in Clearwater work in Tampa!

The Rocket Man

Old 08-06-2007, 08:38 AM

112 posts, read 491,607 times
St.Petersburg job market is on par with Tampa's. Old NE in St.pete is nice, And there are plenty of schools and parks and things in the area to do with the kids. Downtown St.Pete which is 5 mins from OLD NE is really growing and great place to go out to dinner and even if you get baby sitter for the kids, 5 mins for local bars, restaurants and great atmosphere. St.Pete is an up and coming city, lots of rennovations and money being put into downtown. You have the beaches, parks, nightlife all in 1 spot. Hands down St.Pete would be my pick.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:30 AM

9 posts, read 40,479 times
I may be moving to Palm Harbor from Buffalo......so glad to hear positive remarks! St. Pete's sounds great! The job market here is horrible so I am very pessimistic about life.....a change is good. Social sites like "meetup" prove that more things are happening down there than up here.

Although the hot weather and flat land will take adjustment. Buffalo is a great city and I will miss it. I love the 4 seasons and small city feel.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:03 PM

11 posts, read 50,769 times
St Pete north-east downtown.
Stay away from Clearwater area.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:26 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,617,004 times
Although the hot weather and flat land will take adjustment. Buffalo is a great city and I will miss it. I love the 4 seasons and small city feel.

Not to dis Tampa (I live here and do like it) but have you checked out Albuquerque NM? It may have what you want in jobs while still giving you the 4 seasons (although milder than Buffalo!) and a smaller feel than the Tampa Bay area will.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:09 PM

3 posts, read 12,219 times
St.Pete great CITY!

Old 08-30-2007, 02:26 AM

33 posts, read 113,879 times
Rocket - no I dont' work 24/7 but i do have small kids and I have lived in Tampa my whole life as well as commuted during rush hour traffic. If you leave at certain times, especially behind an accident it can take an hour or more than an hour to get to St pete.

When you want to visit the beach you can commute during NON rush hour traffic, that is a 1/2 hour for sure!

Hope this post helps clarify things )
Katrina

Last edited by kmadewell; 08-30-2007 at 02:30 AM.. Reason: mispelling

Old 11-08-2007, 06:38 PM

1,387 posts, read 3,437,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by why not View Post
St. Petersburg Old NE or Harbour Island Tampa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone,

We are relocating to Tamba Bay area and are undecided about whether to live in St. Petersburg Old NE neighborhood or Harbour Island. We have young children and would like a nice family neighborhood. The reason we are having trouble deciding is that we are still both looking for jobs. It seems like there is more work in Tampa, so Harbour Island seems sensible in that it would have a shorter commute if we were to get work in Tampa. Does anyone have experience of commuting from Tampa (or possibly North Tampa) to and from St. Petersburg on a daily basis? What's the commute time and traffic like? How's the job market in St. Petersburg? Can anyone tell us pros / cons about the two areas?

Your help is hugely appreciated!
Thanks!

You should look into Barcley Estates (near Gandy Blvd. and 9th Street N) it is a short trip across the bridge to Tampa. To get to downtown Tampa via the Crosstown takes about 20 minutes in morning rush.

Barcley is a family friendly neighorhood of approximatly 225 homes. Most are 4 bed 2 or more baths with 2 car garages. Pride in ownership show through out this well established neighborhood. They even have block parties for the entire neighborhood. It is a place you can walk your dog and your small children with no worries. Yet, it is close to everything...Target, Publix, Bealles, CVS, and many fine dining within a matter of minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay