Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 7,166 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I are a young (34 and 35) couple moving to St. Pete in January 2008 for a new job. I really like the Old SE area (the historic houses and Lassing Park). Plus it's close to downtown and my new job. Does anyone have any advice about this area? Is it safe, flood free, expensive/affordable (looking in the 200,000 to 300,000 range). Does Lassing park have a beach area at low tide? Would you recommend this area over the Crescent Lake/Heights and/or Euclid/St. Paul area? Thanks for any advice anyone has!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 02:50 PM

112 posts, read 491,408 times
Do you mean OLD NE?????????

SE OR NE would be in a flood zone.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:20 PM

11 posts, read 50,711 times
St Pete downtown is one of the most beautiful cities in FL.
We own for two years, a beautiful waterfront condo
by the Pier and Vinoy Park.
It's outstanding but the humidity and heat are really terrible.
Social life and night life are poor and the jobs are in crisis.
That's Florida...
It's a good state for vacations (two-three months, no more).
It's safe in north-east area and yes,
you will need flood insurance for a waterfront home.
Around December-January is the best time to buy a home
because the real estate here is dead and the prices descending
Keep in your mind the property taxes are too high
and the insurances for everything.
We're looking forward to move northern.
Maybe Charleston SC or Washington DC.
By the way we are from Europe and we have a little boy 4 years old.
We think that for a young couple to move in FL it's not a good decision.
Anyway the decision is yours.
Good luck.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:21 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times
Old SE is not necessarily in a flood zone. I lived there in the infamous summer of Hurricanes Charlie, Frances and the rest ... though our property was right on lassing park, it was actually in zone B due to elevation. I guess you'd need flood insurance but as far as a flood actually being a threat that may not happen.

I love Old SE. It's an interesting community of artists, activists, etc. Lassing Park has a small beach. It's also a great place to watch the fireworks and the airshow.

I really love the other neighborhoods you mentioned as well but it's nice to be right on the water. However, the homeowner's insurance is likely to be more due to proximity to the water.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:12 AM

2 posts, read 9,252 times
Oh my, NancyMiami, what are you smoking?? The real estate market IS better in the winter when ALL the snowbirds are here, sick of snow, looking, looking, looking AND buying, buying, buying. Especially Canadians, since their dollar is healthier than ours. ALSO, no one buys in the summer with hurricanes brewing East, South and West of us.
Another thing, downtown St. Petersburg is Booming. There are great restaurants, new shops, and big condo's going up. This is becoming a very residential city. With lots to do. I live in the southern portion of St. Petersburg and Yes, we do have some crime problems, like most cities do. The northeast section of St. Pete does too. Criminals prey on the "Good Neighborhoods" cause they got the money, honey. So, come on down. The Old Southeast section has really become popular with their lovely older Florida homes so most of the deals are probably gone but you may find a really nice home already remodeled. Good Luck!

Old 11-13-2007, 09:28 AM

428 posts, read 1,472,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancymiami View Post
Social life and night life are poor and the jobs are in crisis.

For a city of its size, St. Petersburg's nightlife is great. Especially since up to about five years ago, it was known at The Big Empty. I went out two weekends ago and the bars and restaurants were packed. They have a gallery walk every month.

St. Petersburg has a lower unemployment level than the state or country. And if you happen to be into marine science, St. Pete is the best place in the country to be.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:57 AM

Location: I live in St. Petersburg Florida, for 25 years now.
5 posts, read 16,559 times
Hi There, I have lived in that area when I first moved to Florida 25 years ago(at age 20). Old NE or downtown are the most trendy of areas, out towards the beaches you get a different crowd(retired and beach people) For a young professional couple as you described I would definitely recommend checking out all of the areas you mentioned. I think there are several great areas to live. Moderator cut: realtor ad

Last edited by jessiegirl_98; 11-13-2007 at 12:36 PM..

Old 01-17-2008, 08:08 AM

11 posts, read 50,711 times
Sorry...
There are no more snowbirds.
Crisis....
Are you Realtor?

Old 01-17-2008, 09:09 AM

367 posts, read 1,686,988 times
There are snowbirds, the market is very slow for real estate, so you can decide whether it is a good time to buy or not. It could be slower than this, who knows for sure. DC has meetings going on right now (live) to talk about the recession and ways to avoid it, though by what I have heard so far, they are on the wrong track.
Tax cuts to get the public to spend more, they can't afford to, thats why we are heading to a recession, tax cuts will help people out, but not jumpstart the economy I don't think anyway, but I'll take the cuts, even in the short term

Snowbirds still come here, but they are not buying the way they used to, they are all suffering from the same problems.
Taxes are high, insurance is high, the days of cheap florida are over, mainly because so many people came here and started the supply and demand cycle, which has resulted in where we are now.
Lots of migrants to FL from other areas of US, plus foreign immigrants added to the burden on housing, developers saw a market, started developing, more and more people came, but then hurricanes came and demolished a huge swathe of the new homes. Insurance cos took a major hit with so many new customers here and started pulling out, leaving a few to charge higher, with their reasoning being the losses they had sustained. People stopped buying because demand drove up house prices and therefore taxes, and with insurance on top, well it's the start of history now....

This should not put you off moving here, there are millions who live inFL and love it. You will love SE or NE, Lassing park does have a beach of sorts at lowtide for paddlers but it's not really a great beach like the gulf ones. Perhaps find a realtor to work with for a rental at first, then look around while you first live here to see what you think. That way you will avoid costly mistakes and maybe benefit from even lower prices down the road. Good luck to you.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:22 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,082,292 times
If you live up in a condo and never hit the streets, St. Pete may seem dull. But the house dwellers are freindly and sociable. Downtown nightlife is very nice. You'll see a good mix of people on the street with options on where to go.
To say the job market is in a crisis would imply that it was once good. I don't see many jobs downtown, but commutes are not terrible, relatively speaking. The region in general is lacking career options, but if you're moving here for a job, you've got nothing to worry about.
I think you mean Old North East, this is the prime area to live.

Last edited by Eastern Roamer; 01-17-2008 at 09:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: