Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 09:45 AM

133 posts, read 192,392 times

Advertisements

My son will betaking His Sats soon. He doesnt know what he would major in. We are new to Tampa. I hear that the area isnt great , but what are your opinions about the school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 09:59 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,420,229 times
I attended for two years a few decades ago and didn't like it because the student-to-professor ratio was very large. Some classes seemed to have a 100-200 students. I moved to another school later and finished my degree in a smaller university. I appreciated that my professors actually knew my name there.

The campus seems sprawling, in my opinion and the student population is nearing 50k from what I understand. I lived in the dorms for a semester before moving to an apartment in walking distance.

I can't attest for the quality of the school anymore. Its been a while since I've been in the lecture halls/classrooms. I'm guessing that the classes are also becoming web-based. Not sure if that's the new trend.

BTW, I didn't really know my major at the time I attended. I wanted to go into finance/banking but ended in a career much different (healthcare).

Old 01-27-2012, 10:04 AM

175 posts, read 352,950 times
No. I would have him try to get into UF.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:50 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,237,396 times
Its a good school, the area around it sucks but I dont think the school is bad. UF or USF are both good schools as well but you lose that cost befit of being able to live at home while going to school.

I personally would recomend a community college for the 1st 2 years though. MUCH smaller class sizes and the credits all transfer to the big universities. It will save a ton of money and (in my opinion) give a better education.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:12 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys .

Old 01-27-2012, 11:30 AM

420 posts, read 864,106 times
It's not a bad local university. You'll inevitably get smug replies from UF and FSU alumni because those are the oldest public universities in Florida but don't let this deter you from considering USF. Ultimately, it depends on your son. Does he want to go to a large public school in town? Does he want to go to a large public school away from home? There are benefits to both sides and he should give it good consideration. If he's seeking a college-town, large-school experience, then I would have him look at UF or FSU. USF is a commuter school (although recent decisions by the administration are attempting to change this public view) that caters to local students. Don't let your decision rest on these three though- there are plenty of other universities and colleges that may be more attractive for your son. You've done the first step in showing interest in his future; hopefully he is as interested and does his research at this important point in his life.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:34 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,766 times
It is not unusual for a student to not be sure what his major is going to be. This is very common. Some students change majors a # of times, and then, some students know since they are small what they want to study.

There is a forum here on CD on education which may be of help to you in these aspects. All these matters are discussed there and it provides for hearing different opinions on all issues of education.

I truly agree that it is good for a student to begin in a community college and then transfer after 2 years to a full college. It saves some $ and the education you get is the same, whether you do the full degree in a university or you break it like I am saying.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:21 PM

Thank you again. I am a young single mom and I am so excited that he is going to have opportunities like college. He loves Florida Tampa especially and he is glad we left NYC. I will be helping him explore all of his options. He and his group of friends seem to be very interested in USF so I figured Id get some opinions. You guys are great for the honest answers.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:23 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,317,453 times
Sure. But I wouldnt let him/her live anywhere near campus.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:26 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,367,852 times
As a relatively recent USF graduate, I would also suggest that you try to get an idea of what he would like to study. While you will have to spend some money, I high recommend finding a career counselor (fee for services, NOT free) that will screen him using well established screening tools to get an idea of what areas of study he would be expected to do best in.

We did this with one of our children, and it was money well spent.

They don't say exactly what your child should do, but give you some general guidance on what disciplines they would do best in as well as enjoy.

Also, depending on which college at USF you attend your experiences can be very different. Some of the colleges are very large from an undergraduate point of view, and it's not uncommon to have 100 level courses in a lecture hall with as many as 700-800 students. It's not until the junior and senior years that the focus really starts in their chosen subject area.

One very attractive thing about USF is it's almost meteoric rise in the list of research universities in the US. I believe they are now in the top 50 in the nation, and that says a lot about grant and research money coming in as well as their ability to attract the best and brightest in each discipline.

When I was there a few years ago I made a point of hitching my wagon to a professor that was a grant writing machine, and they were able to keep me busy as an assistant. It's not usually very interesting work, maybe doing things like transcribing, but I got paid well for my time and also got a lot of one-on-one time with my supervising professor as a result.

I have a child who is currently doing the first two years at HCC and transferring to USF approach, which saves a boatload of money while guaranteeing they will get in to the university. If they had attempted to get accepted as a freshman, despite their good grades, the likelihood of getting in was pretty poor due to the huge number of applicants.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay