Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 12:56 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
we also see incessant cheerleading from the same posters, because i guess it's easier than facing reality.
+1

But then I guess every place needs at least 1 cheerleader. I'm sure on the LA forum, there is someone cheerleading Compton, Watts and other hoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 02:05 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
The thing is, my reality is different from yours.

Quote:
we also see incessant cheerleading from the same posters, because i guess it's easier than facing reality.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:45 PM

77 posts, read 138,409 times
I face reality. I do my homework, study, ask questions. I understand it may not be easy but, when I get my mind on something it gets done. I am use to have to struggle now and then for what I want or my family needs. I have prevailed and I have failed but I do not give up without a fight. Like I said I wish them luck and hope it works out for them.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:56 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Couldn't agree with you more. The struggle parts are what keep it interesting and real. So long as you have a goal, it's always worth the effort, win, loose or draw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the4inthevalley View Post
I face reality. I do my homework, study, ask questions. I understand it may not be easy but, when I get my mind on something it gets done. I am use to have to struggle now and then for what I want or my family needs. I have prevailed and I have failed but I do not give up without a fight. Like I said I wish them luck and hope it works out for them.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:58 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,364,919 times
Quote:
This. I'm not going to sugar coat something when it shouldn't be. I love living almost on the water. I love going to the beach almost year round. I love the sunshine, and warmth (minus those few killer humid summer months)...and find myself sad on gloomy days. I love the nature here. There's a lot I love.

I HATE that I've been seeking employment (and I'm not a person that looks once or twice a month and calls it "actively seeking", before someone says "oh, you're not trying hard enough"...) since May of 2011. I hate that people are glorifying how easy it will to find a job because the internet says that X amount of population is employed or because craigslist is showing a surplus of jobs....

I hate that I'm surviving on student loans and credit cards (and putting myself further in the hole) until someone hires me. That's a reality that more people I know than not are facing.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:05 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
This. I'm not going to sugar coat something when it shouldn't be. I love living almost on the water. I love going to the beach almost year round. I love the sunshine, and warmth (minus those few killer humid summer months)...and find myself sad on gloomy days. I love the nature here. There's a lot I love.

I HATE that I've been seeking employment (and I'm not a person that looks once or twice a month and calls it "actively seeking", before someone says "oh, you're not trying hard enough"...) since May of 2011. I hate that people are glorifying how easy it will to find a job because the internet says that X amount of population is employed or because craigslist is showing a surplus of jobs....

I hate that I'm surviving on student loans and credit cards (and putting myself further in the hole) until someone hires me. That's a reality that more people I know than not are facing.
yikes. what do you do? maybe we can point you in the right direction.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:37 PM

77 posts, read 138,409 times
I agree or maybe its time to look in another direction for a job just for now. I know some people refuse to make a change in career but, it might be time to do that. What have you been looking in for a job? I do not live in Florida yet but, if I can help you maybe go in a different direction EB2 please let me know.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:11 PM

20 posts, read 152,797 times
To the OP:
My husband and I moved to FL in June 2011 and stayed with my sister for about a month before we found a nice short-term rental at a very reasonable price. We signed a lease for three months and were able to negotiate an even lower rent because we paid it all upfront.

You see, after moving here we soon learned that from about late May through October it is "low season" and several short term rentals (in certain areas) become available at much, MUCH lower rates. This has to do with 'snowbirds' going back north, so they rent their condos/apts for the summer months. One thing, though, to find most of these places, you'll likely need access to the MLS, so I'd do some research on local Real Estate Agents who list short-term rentals. We did not pay our realtor a fee as he was paid by the property owner, so be sure to double check on this. Hope this helps and good luck!

Old 10-11-2012, 05:45 PM

32 posts, read 49,637 times
To all of you negative people. Wife and I have been here since the end of June. both working and living in nice apartment on 4th st. north......wasn't so hard.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:11 PM

477 posts, read 1,406,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordao86 View Post
To all of you negative people. Wife and I have been here since the end of June. both working and living in nice apartment on 4th st. north......wasn't so hard.
You are pretty lucky that you and your wife found work, you should count your blessings, but I don't think its fair to say "its not hard" to the people here who haven't had the same luck as you. I'm grateful that I found a good job in the Tampa area, but even with almost 10 years of nursing experience I received several rejections from jobs in Miami before I landed this job in the Tampa area. If someone told me 5 years ago that I wouldn't at least land an interview with my experience, I would have laughed in their faces, but now this is a reality.

I have friends with masters degrees, law degrees and yes even nursing degrees that can't find jobs. Many companies are just not hiring, and a lot of people with great qualifications are being passed over for jobs due to being overqualified. Times are tough for many people these days, its not that everyone who is unemployed is lazy or doesn't want to work.

To the OP or anyone in the position of moving without a job, I wouldn't take that chance unless you have a lot of savings to live off of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay