Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 04:14 PM

10 posts, read 22,255 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are considering Brandon-Riverview since the housing is more affordable but we are not sure about the general attitude towards gay people in that area! We are not looking to hold hands or make out in public but we mostly get the advice to look in South Tampa but it's way more expensive.
Please let us know your experience
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 07:11 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
You should be fine in either place, however since you didn't mention work I have to ask where your employment is located. St. Pete would be another area to look into if you want to be in an older established neighborhood.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:47 AM

My work office is located in Brandon, therefore we're looking to buy a house in Brandon, Valrico, Seffner, Dover or Riverview, the real estate market in those areas is substantially more affordable than South Tampa. And we were a little concern about the friendliness to gay couples. As I said we are proffesionals in our early 50s, we have had no problem with our neighbours and we actively participate in our communities social live.
Another aspect is security, it's my understanding also that those areas are fairly safe.
Thank you very much for your feedback

Old 03-26-2012, 11:32 AM

4,476 posts, read 3,843,568 times
I dunno much about Brandon, but it seems less cosmopolitan (read: gay friendly) than where we live. (READ LAST GRAF ABOUT COMMUTES)

My partner and I live in Culbreath Bayou in South Tampa and we love it. Yes, it's pricey. But the levels of worldly people with college degrees are very high (educated + well-traveled = more likely to not care if you are gay), it's very private, very quiet and crime is low. People I am sure know that we are a couple (2 women living by themselves with a dog) and there are no other gay couples living on our street or in our neighborhood that we know of. But that is OK with us. We don't ask about other people's private lives, and we expect others to refrain from asking about ours.

We keep to ourselves, maintain an impeccable property and people love us because we are quiet, and keep our yard/house looking great.

While St. Pete is definitely the gay-friendly area, we were not interested in living "the gay life." We are interested in living a quiet life in the nicest neighborhood we could afford where everyone keeps to themselves.

You have to do your research and check places out and eventually, you will find your place.

By the way, South Tampa is the most centrally located area to live in. It's geographically located in the "center" of the Tampa Bay region, so it's convenient to most places at most times of the day. Also, if you work in North Tampa, Pasco, St. Pete, Clearwater or Brandon/Valrico, if you live in South Tampa you will mostly have a REVERSE commute. People many times overlook how important this is.

Of course, if you live in Brandon, you will have no commute.

Last edited by sinatras; 03-26-2012 at 12:27 PM..

Old 03-26-2012, 12:26 PM

Thanks very much Sinatras, we also have a dog and pretty much have and want to keep the kind of life you're describing, so definetely we'll take a look at South Tampa, specifically to the new developments around the airforce base I guess is The Landings, but my job will be in Brandon and there or Valrico you can get 30 to 40% more for the same price house.
So thank you very much for your feedback.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:17 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,766 times
I have some gay friends living in Gulfport and Clearwater.
So that's two other areas for you to consider.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:48 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,082,637 times
Brandon/Riverview BLOWS...

Gay or straight, I would not suggest you live there. Then again, some people seem to like it...

Rent out there for a little while first, at the very least. Then check out Tampa and St. Pete and, if you haven't blown your brains out, you'll see what I mean.

At any rate, I think you'll find the TB area relatively tolerant of your orientation.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:27 PM

Thank you ER for your feedback, I will keep in mind your recomendation

Old 03-26-2012, 04:03 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recarlos View Post
My work office is located in Brandon, therefore we're looking to buy a house in Brandon, Valrico, Seffner, Dover or Riverview, the real estate market in those areas is substantially more affordable than South Tampa. And we were a little concern about the friendliness to gay couples. As I said we are proffesionals in our early 50s, we have had no problem with our neighbours and we actively participate in our communities social live.
Another aspect is security, it's my understanding also that those areas are fairly safe.
Thank you very much for your feedback
If you really want to live in Brandon since you work there, and can "get more house for your money" I wouldn't think you would necessarily have any "issues" with the fact that you are gay. But are you familiar with those communities? It's a lot of congestion in Brandon and strip malls/plazas chain eateries. If you don't mind that then it's probably a good option. But I have to agree with sinatras post above - south Tampa is just SO much more interesting/beautiful with great neighborhoods, and everything that goes with it. It would seem like you would enjoy it there much more. Do yourselves a favor and at least check it out, or even try to rent there perhaps and see if it's for you. The commute will not be bad at all, maybe no worse than even living in Brandon itself.

Anyway, good luck, and I hope this helps.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:01 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,755,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
Brandon/Riverview BLOWS...

Gay or straight, I would not suggest you live there. Then again, some people seem to like it...

Rent out there for a little while first, at the very least. Then check out Tampa and St. Pete and, if you haven't blown your brains out, you'll see what I mean.

At any rate, I think you'll find the TB area relatively tolerant of your orientation.
My eyes hurt from eyerolling so much. Nothing about the brandon/riverview "blows".

Infact this place is quite lovely and I'm glad I live here. Hopefully you dont anymore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay