Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2006, 08:06 PM

14 posts, read 44,253 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I may be relocating to the Clearwater area for a job. Any advice on where to live (I'll be renting)? What to expect?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2006, 07:55 PM

51 posts, read 67,308 times
Default Traffic...traffic...traffic

Can't advise you where to rent but be prepared for lots of traffic, especially in the winter months when every license plate around you is out of state!!!

Floridacracker

Old 09-26-2006, 09:40 PM

4 posts, read 4,085 times
Clearwater is a dirty hole with no progressive mindset and a lot of $8-$12 jobs. If you have any career goals in mind, stay far far away. Clearwater Beach is worth visiting once or twice but it is quickly being built up with condos and you can no longer see the water.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:50 AM

14 posts, read 44,253 times
ummm.. thanks for the info.

Old 09-29-2006, 10:29 AM

363 posts, read 2,020,387 times
I don't believe that you have gotten a fair assessment of Clearwater. Yes, there is quite a bit of traffic depending on what you compare it to. It is in many ways a very nice city. I have much family there who thoroughy enjoy the area. I don't believe for a second that it is not progressive. There are a plethora of things to do and Tampa is close by with even more. Clearwater beach is busy, yet if you are taking an evening stroll during the week you will be pleasantly exilerated. I used to go there on cool evenings in the fall and winter. We had many wonderful times. Like any city of it size, there is good and bad. You didn't specify what your needs were. Yes, there are rentals of course, but knowing your needs and lifestyle would make a big difference in being able to guide you. I hope you'll look deeper for information regarding the Clearwater area. I have very little negative to offer. Scientology is big there... downtown... so, if you are not into that... that would be my one caution. It will not affect you if you are aware of it and keep away. It in no way affects most of Clearwater. Good luck!

Old 09-29-2006, 09:59 PM

Default Pioneer8

You state that "Scientology is big there" in downtown Clearwater, they own over half of the downtown waterfront and are trying to occupy even more. I have lived here in Pinellas county all my life and what used to be a literal paradise is now nothing but gridlock. Just try going north or south on US 19 or Belcher road or even worse east or west on Ulmerton road, it's no fun. Clearwater beach is slowly being bought up by high dollar developers and is in the process of being bulldozed to build multi story million dollar condos for the rich and city commissioners who have real estate connections and dollar signs in their eyes. In the Largo / Clearwater area you can't travel 5 blocks without seeing a strip joint or xxx shop and the parking lots are always full. If you are from Chicago or Detroit I can see the attraction to this area because of the beaches but I can tell you first hand it is paradise lost. Trust this little pearl of wisdom.... there are much nicer and better places to live in Florida than this area and it is only going to get worse.

Floridacracker

Old 09-30-2006, 10:28 AM

I lived in Clearwater for 34 yrs... my whole life, with the exception of this last year in a smaller texas town. I can't discount what you are saying about Clearwater,Florida. You are right in a large way. It's just, I have so, so much extended family in the area and they are still enjoying themselves and getting so much from what good the area has to offer. I agree with the traffic and developement... I haven't been all over Florida and I wouldn't doubt that there are many wonderful places to live. I didn't mean to ruffle feathers; I just didn't want the initial poster to think it was a bad area. I suppose, I just don't think that it is so horrible (I think someone called it "a dirty hole"). To me, that is not accurate and I didn't want Intransit to be disappointed or worse, fearful. I believe that it is a relatively good place to live. Not the best, but not bad. I have no stake in "promoting" the area,... just wanted the description to be a bit more thorough- I guess.

Old 09-30-2006, 02:59 PM

Default Pioneer8

I hear what you are saying and I didn't mean to come of so negative. I have lived here for 47 years and can remember as a small boy my dad literally driving his car on the actual beach (now Maderia Beach) and digging a huge hole in the sand and having a fire as the sun would set over the Gulf of Mexico.
No one else around, no police to order you around, no signs saying no this or that.......wait, now that I think about it there were no signs at all!!!! As a kid I was able to fish off any bridge or seawall and catch snook, redfish, trout, pompano, snapper, grouper and many others. Now when I take my 3 kids fishing you can't even catch a catfish or anything else for that matter!!! And don't even get me started on our elytrous school board who went from forced busing to this program called "choice". They drew a line down the middle of the county (Ulmerton road) and if you live south of the "Mason Dixon Line" (that's what us locals refer to it as) your nobody. This indeed sounds extremely negative but it's accurate.

Floridacracker

Old 09-30-2006, 03:32 PM

Oh yes... My mother and father came to the Clearwater area 30 plus years ago... VERY different than it is today. I remember "clamming" in St. Pete waters with my tennis shoes on... riding on the back of my big brother's motorcycle through the shoreline on Cleawater Beach... So beautiful and unpopulated. I understand your frusteration. I think I come off as defensive for a place for which my memories are fond. I do think it's true that some good things remain... I hear you though. I really do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: