Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 12:08 AM

114 posts, read 250,416 times

Advertisements

And Tampa would be your best bet to fly into. Suncoast is a straight shot to TPA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 11:19 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,139,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldLineStateGirl View Post
Had to go to Nashville for a convention for a few days and now back, thanks for the additional responses. It appears now that by the end of November it will be known if CR3 will continue to be operational or shut down (the nuke side, at least, as I believe that part is also coal-fired correct?). So for now, per diem and renting/doing the hotel thing. After that, I'm not sure.

Is it easier to fly out of Tampa or Orlando, coming from Crystal River? Would love to take SWA since they have direct flights to BWI.
I think the nuke and coal are all on the same property, but not 100% sure. Tampa and Orlando are about the same distance away, Orlando may be slightly shorter in distance and I think it's easier to get to. There's also the Sanford airport, that's 20 miles or so past Orlando.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
You're joking, right? I guess you haven't been following the news in the past several years. Here's just one recent tale:

Michigan City Outsources - WSJ.com
Latest word I have is if CR3 is shut down we'll be seeing 15-20% increase in property taxes in Citrus.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:12 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
I think the nuke and coal are all on the same property, but not 100% sure. Tampa and Orlando are about the same distance away, Orlando may be slightly shorter in distance and I think it's easier to get to. There's also the Sanford airport, that's 20 miles or so past Orlando.
Tampa is about 10 miles closer but the drive to Orlando can get bad with some of the roads you need to take. The straight shot down the Suncoast makes the Tampa drive much easier.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:52 AM

2 posts, read 2,801 times
Default City of Hernando

Sgt

Old 08-12-2012, 07:56 AM

2 posts, read 2,801 times
Sgt. Buzzcut, I am looking to buy a home in Hernando(preferably in a gated community). Can you give me a good and/or bad insight on Hernando? Thank you

Old 08-12-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studpuppet_2000 View Post
Sgt. Buzzcut, I am looking to buy a home in Hernando(preferably in a gated community). Can you give me a good and/or bad insight on Hernando? Thank you
Check your inbox

Old 08-13-2012, 11:26 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
As a teacher, look up Rick Scott. I'm sure you'll love him .

Even better, next election, it's either vote for Rick Scott again, or Floridians will have to vote Democrat. Get ready for ANOTHER two years.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:36 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,283,237 times
It's almost like the Tampa Bay Times read my earlier post and wrote a story on it:

Crystal River nuclear plant troubles stoke resident fears - Tampa Bay Times

"Here in Citrus County, many fear that the heart of their largest employer and taxpayer may disappear, triggering an economic apocalypse: workers fleeing, businesses and schools closing, and taxes soaring for those left behind.

The complex's $2.2 billion in taxable value last year was nearly twice the value of the rest of the county's commercial sector, and 39 times larger than the county's second-biggest taxpayer, Withlacoochee River Electric.

The complex's tax bill last year was $35 million — the equivalent of nearly half of the county's $80 million general fund."

Old 08-21-2012, 12:10 PM

27 posts, read 38,158 times
Thanks for the replies and xtra kudos to PowellMacaque who typed that long response - which was very informative.

Since last on here, hubby has a rental in Homosassa. Any suggestions of things to do around that area are welcome - also, where are the nearest shopping complexes (either a big box i.e., Kohls, Target, Best Buy with some surrounding stores like a strip mall OR a mall, and a decent one at that - he's willing to drive if necessary). He's already found a WalMart and Dollar General. Nice places to eat? restaurants? Powell mentioned some spots in Inverness (sp?) - any other surrounding cities?

Coming from Maryland, which you could probably fit 30 into the state of Florida, everything is within a hour so anything within an hour, hour 15 of Homosassa in any direction - suggestions are appreciated!

** Schools - background is Adventist. That would be preferred but would also consider Christian schools. Not ruling out public schools, just wanting to keep the continuom going since they are already in parochial school.

Actually this really sucks for us and our girls to have Daddy away but I'm thinking that if the plant remains open, his project will last for about 33 months. Would it be worth it to try to negogiate with his employer to have him fly home every Thursday (right now he comes every other weekend -he works 4 10 hour days, well overtime now but at that point it would go back to a 40 hour week) and return Sunday rather than move down there? I know there are sooo many variables involved in that decision that you all just can't make it but would actually like some honest opinions from people if - Powell, you could probably best speak to this somewhat with your living in NY - you would sweat it out for 2 1/2 years or not?? The girls are now 6 and almost 8. I'm thinking of the USA cover story this past weekend on super commuting. . . .

Thanks again for the responses.

Last edited by OldLineStateGirl; 08-21-2012 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: content
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay