Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:05 AM

226 posts, read 339,729 times

Advertisements

Ok, I have a question for those that have lived in both areas. Is Tampa actually WORSE then ATL traffic? I hear so many complaints about it that I'm starting to wonder if it is.

As an example-I'm LUCKY that my job is only 30min drive with no traffic-I happen to take back roads that allow the commute to be pretty stress free, little traffic. BUT I've also driven that same route with traffic and it goes from 30 mins to 45 min up to an hour if there is road work, a wreck, etc.

NOW-just moving about my area a normal 5 min drive can take 20 mins. Go anywhere downtown/interstates in the mornings or afternoons and your 30 mins turns into one hour or more. It's BRUTAL. Even in areas that AREN'T downtown we have pockes full of lights, bad drives, and it will sometimes take 5-10min to cross from one red light to the next-it's a part of life. It is ALWAYS congested no matter what.

SO, how is it different? Say for example I decided to live in Palm Harbor, or Safety Harbor or Oldsmar (or even Countryside area between those areas and drive to TPA Intl airport every day.....which really is only about what 17-20 miles max? During rush hour, how long of a drive can I expect?
What if I drove from either of those locations to Countryside mall during a weekend or even after work?

What if say on Sat I want to drive from those areas to Honeymoon Island or even further south to Ft. De soto or Clearwater beach, etc.....what realistic commute time are we talking about?

Guess I'm just trying to get a clearer picture. A lot of people have recommended Citrus Park area (Sickles HS)-what would that commute be to the airport? What about the drive from that area to the beach on a weekend? I do not know why but for some reason the both 'harbor' areas seem to be callign me more-guess it may all change when I actually visit the areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 10:45 AM

265 posts, read 974,938 times
I lived in Atlanta for many, many years and have been in Tampa for just over 5 years now. Atlanta could have improved or worsened since I left in 2007.

My daily drive in Atlanta required me to go from just East of Stone Mountain to the I-285/GA 400 Junction. This all highway and Interstate route was roughly 25 miles from door to door. My average drive time was an hour plus. Often as many as two hours depending on traffic. What few times I did have to go inside the perimeter the traffic was always more densely packed.

By comparison, my current drive from my home in Apollo Beach/North Ruskin to the heart of Tampa's downtown district is some 24 miles and takes me 25-30 minutes and perhaps 45 minutes on a extremely bad day. I travel by way of the Crosstown and US-41.

Granted I live in the less populated region of Hillsborough County but the same was true of my area in Atlanta; thus, my personal experience is that Atlanta's traffic is far worse than Tampa's. In my time in Tampa I've never encountered a single area of Tampa/St. Pete that consistently produces traffic and delays that compares with Atlanta. So in my mind there is no comparison, Atlanta is far worse than Tampa. Anyone who suggests otherwise probably was the rare bird that lived inside the Atlanta perimeter and whose commute was measured in yards and not miles.

Last edited by wiltznucs; 08-08-2012 at 10:53 AM..

Old 08-08-2012, 11:21 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
I've never lived in Atlanta, but I've been there many times. Atlanta traffic is a lot worse than Tampa. Tampa drivers are a lot worse than Atlanta.

I don't know the rush hour commute times for any of the locations you listed. I think Safety Harbor would be the easiest commute if you take the Courtney Campbell Causeway. From Palm Harbor and Oldsmar you would need to take Tampa Rd/Hillsborough Ave. and there are a lot of lights.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:46 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
I am a back road "short cut" driver too. I lived in Tampa 5 years, and the traffic here is no match for Atlanta, meaning Atlanta is AWFUL! (No offense) We have to pass through it going north to NC when we visit relatives, and no matter what time we pass through it is is AWFUL! Tampa's "traffic" is nothing compared to Atl.

We have all sorts of roads here, and back roads, and you can totally avoid the more congested highways etc.

I cannot recommend you make that drive. ALL you have is US-19 that IS one of the congested roads, and DR-60/a bridge...or Tampa Rd. which has a million stop lights, and becomes Hillsborough ave. IF you'll be working at TPA live in Westchase. You won't have a head ache getting to work unless there's an accident. You'll still be close to the beaches...but your daily commute, and errands will take a LOT less.

Why aggravate the commute if you don't have too? Westchase is great!

From Westchase it will be about 30 minutes to Honeymoon island, BUT keep in mind, it also takes ME from Lutz 30 minutes to get there...."The TIME" when you go is what makes that drive longer, or shorter. But you'll only learn that after you move down here, and learn the back roads.

The commute to TPA from Citrus park is also VERY doable. You only have one problem at the Waters Toll, BUT from Citrus Park, you have Sheldon rd that takes you straight down to Hillsborough Ave, make a left and poof in a few minutes you're at TPA.

Here's a map: (I highlighted potential short cuts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by overit2 View Post
Ok, I have a question for those that have lived in both areas. Is Tampa actually WORSE then ATL traffic? I hear so many complaints about it that I'm starting to wonder if it is.

As an example-I'm LUCKY that my job is only 30min drive with no traffic-I happen to take back roads that allow the commute to be pretty stress free, little traffic. BUT I've also driven that same route with traffic and it goes from 30 mins to 45 min up to an hour if there is road work, a wreck, etc.

NOW-just moving about my area a normal 5 min drive can take 20 mins. Go anywhere downtown/interstates in the mornings or afternoons and your 30 mins turns into one hour or more. It's BRUTAL. Even in areas that AREN'T downtown we have pockes full of lights, bad drives, and it will sometimes take 5-10min to cross from one red light to the next-it's a part of life. It is ALWAYS congested no matter what.

SO, how is it different? Say for example I decided to live in Palm Harbor, or Safety Harbor or Oldsmar (or even Countryside area between those areas and drive to TPA Intl airport every day.....which really is only about what 17-20 miles max? During rush hour, how long of a drive can I expect?
What if I drove from either of those locations to Countryside mall during a weekend or even after work?

What if say on Sat I want to drive from those areas to Honeymoon Island or even further south to Ft. De soto or Clearwater beach, etc.....what realistic commute time are we talking about?

Guess I'm just trying to get a clearer picture. A lot of people have recommended Citrus Park area (Sickles HS)-what would that commute be to the airport? What about the drive from that area to the beach on a weekend? I do not know why but for some reason the both 'harbor' areas seem to be callign me more-guess it may all change when I actually visit the areas.

Last edited by algia; 08-08-2012 at 12:00 PM..

Old 08-08-2012, 12:48 PM

226 posts, read 339,729 times
Algia, love the map, thanks! Westchase, is that Sickles High school as well? Don't want Alonso to be honest. From review it seems Sickles/Countryside or similar schools, whereas Palm Harbor High may be a bit better then those. BUT all things are being considered.

To be honest my job could change-I will be applying for transfer at the airport and stay there for a while. I will then perhaps venture out with new companies so the job location could change. Of course I have no idea where my fiance would be working....could be anywhere. I have to focus on a decent high school for the kids mainly.

Whats the difference atmosphere wise between Westchase and the "harbor" areas. Also, are Hillsborough home taxes or insurance less then Pinellas?

Old 08-08-2012, 01:23 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Glad you liked my map!

OK. If the HS is #1, then you could go for Palm Harbor. I am not sure Sickles has a good reputation. Two years ago a student showed up without underwear for a class photo!

Your commute will suck from Palm Harbor...I can't lie to you about that, but you have to choose what's more important.

However, You can also live in Lutz, (33558) which is about 20/25 minutes from the airport, and has a brand new HS called Steinbrener. Easier commute than from Palm Harbor, and a very good HS per what I heard so far.

Taxes are more expensive in Pinellas, and even more expensive the closer you get to the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overit2 View Post
Algia, love the map, thanks! Westchase, is that Sickles High school as well? Don't want Alonso to be honest. From review it seems Sickles/Countryside or similar schools, whereas Palm Harbor High may be a bit better then those. BUT all things are being considered.

To be honest my job could change-I will be applying for transfer at the airport and stay there for a while. I will then perhaps venture out with new companies so the job location could change. Of course I have no idea where my fiance would be working....could be anywhere. I have to focus on a decent high school for the kids mainly.

Whats the difference atmosphere wise between Westchase and the "harbor" areas. Also, are Hillsborough home taxes or insurance less then Pinellas?

Last edited by algia; 08-08-2012 at 01:33 PM..

Old 08-08-2012, 02:49 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,056 times
I have not lived in Atlanta, but I have family and friends there and therefore spend some time there.

Traffic is much worse in Atlanta. In the Tampa Bay area, there isn't that huge convergence that happens in Atlanta, with all the through traffic combining from different directions with the local traffic. Pretty much everyone on the roads here is not driving through, but has a local destination.

Those are just generalizations, as I'm not familiar with the particular route you're asking about.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:52 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
I've lived in both cities and am currently living in Atlanta now. I have driven in Tampa rush hour multiple times and was just fine. I would never drive in Atlanta rush hour on the highways at least. My condo in ATL is on the 34th floor and you can see the entire highway going North to South. During certain times, it gets clogged up and backed up pretty bad. No way would I ever sit through that. Traffic is my biggest pet peeve.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:55 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
When I went to Atlanta, granted I did NOT drive during rush hour, I found the traffic to be a joke/myth. It might have been different had I driven during rush hour, that I can't comment on. The biggest problem with Tampa is the severe lack of planning in the population growth. 20 years from now, the population can triple, and Dale Mabry will still be a six lane (at best) highway. There was also a severe lack of planning when it came to getting to other major roads. In order to get from Gunn Hwy to Kennedy, you have to get to Dale Mabry. If you live by Sheldon, that alone is a hell of a drive. However, Tampa is filled with houses (and sadly, not much else. It lacks the big city feel it should have.) and road expansion is, in my humble opinion, an impossibility. Just food for thought.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:30 PM

792 posts, read 2,292,206 times
I lived in Atlanta before moving to Florida and unfortunately I had drive all the way from Kennesaw to Downtown Atlanta to work everyday and I did have to drive during the rush hour sometimes and I HATED EVERY MINUTE OF IT.

It's so far away, that you literally have no choice but sit there inching along 6 or 8 lanes of cars. Ugghh. You could literally count on at least 1 or 2 accidents per week making the traffic commute even longer. Sometimes it would take me and hour and a half to get home. Most of the time it was about 45 minutes to an hour. But if there was no traffic on I-75, I could make the commute in 20 minutes.

I don't drive in Tampa rush hour traffic everyday, but I have driven in it a fair amount, it never seems to last more than a half hour. From my experience, Atlanta is the worse of the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay