Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 06:18 PM

3 posts, read 3,692 times

Advertisements

I am currently a middle school resource teacher in Charleston, SC. I moved to Charleston almost two years ago and let's just say it's not exactly what I expected. I left NJ to move to SC for a full-time teaching position and had no idea how poorly teachers were compensated in SC.

I am curious about moving to the Tampa area and wanted some insights on teaching salaries, top-rated schools, and overall opinion of the FL school system.

Any information would be helpful...thank you all so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 07:00 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,322,865 times
The search function works pretty well

You will find Florida sucks for teachers

Old 08-23-2012, 07:01 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
You can see the salary schedules here.

First year teachers in Hillsborough County (Tampa) are making around $37,000 plus benefits, which aren't that great. I can't imagine things are that much better or worse in SC.

You didn't say what discipline you are certified in - you will have to get your certification done here, which will cost you between $400 and $600 before you can even walk in the door, possibly. I know you'll have to certify in your subject area, then there is your ESOL endorsement, and your professional educator's certification.

You can get all the details at: Teach in Florida > Home

I work for the school district in Hillsborough County. Unless you've got family down here and a place to stay, I would suggest that you remain in SC. You'll end up losing money just from the cost of moving and such.

RM

Old 08-23-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCteacher2004 View Post
I am currently a middle school resource teacher in Charleston, SC. I moved to Charleston almost two years ago and let's just say it's not exactly what I expected. I left NJ to move to SC for a full-time teaching position and had no idea how poorly teachers were compensated in SC.
I don't mean to be critical, but how could you not know what the compensation for teachers in SC was before you made the move? Since teachers are public employees, their salaries are public record. Did you not do your due diligence before moving?

I have to imagine that teachers in NJ are compensated far better than in SC or Florida. Yes, I realize the cost of living in NJ is fairly high, depending on what part you live in, but I am sure that teachers make far more up there than they do here.

Just trying to understand the logic, that's all.

RM

Old 08-23-2012, 07:10 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,464,436 times
Does Florida already recognize the SC certifications? I know some states have (I believe it is called reciprocity or something like that) agreements with other states.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
Does Florida already recognize the SC certifications? I know some states have (I believe it is called reciprocity or something like that) agreements with other states.
Florida now has reciprocity with all 49 states, I believe. If you have a valid teaching certificate from another state, they will recognize it, according to their web site.

RM

Old 08-24-2012, 08:59 PM

3 posts, read 3,692 times
I worked in NJ as a part-time resource special education teacher for 3 1/2 years. Apparently, your not familiar with NJ, because it's not about how good a teacher you are it's all about who you know. And unfortunately for me, I didn't have the right connections to move my way up after 3 1/2 years. I overly put my dues in and decided I wanted to be hired for my professional achievements and my quality of teaching not who I am related to. Salaries for NJ teachers are higher in SC, but the housing market and property taxes are even higher. The logic behind me moving to SC the thought of being able to start a family and buy a house sooner then if I stayed in NJ. As for my research about SC, I came to SC for a week and researched numerous towns. However, without living in SC at the time it was hard to understand the housing market and what is available and what the norms are.

The thing is I absolutely love teaching in SC, however I just want teacher's to be compensated what they truly deserve. At this point in my life, I am willing to go elsewhere to pursue a teaching position where teachers are compensated competitively.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCteacher2004 View Post
The thing is I absolutely love teaching in SC, however I just want teacher's to be compensated what they truly deserve. At this point in my life, I am willing to go elsewhere to pursue a teaching position where teachers are compensated competitively.
I would encourage you to stay in SC based on your comments.

The teaching profession is taking a beating in Florida, with the laws putting standardized testing in place as the major factor in determining your annual evaluation. Add to this that Florida is a right to work state and that tenure has been eliminated for any newly hired teachers, and you have the makings for literally being kicked out of your career field should you or your students do poorly.

Worse yet, they are applying the same metrics to special ed (ESE) teachers as well, so you're really screwed if you're an ESE teacher.

My school district recently protested a ruling to the state where "exceptional centers", which are schools for severely and profoundly handicapped students, received failing school grades because their students failed to make adequate academic progress. Really? These are students who's IQ is below 65, and in many cases are barely functional due to severe mental and physical exceptionalities. This is a perfect example of the stupidity of our legislature (and governor) in how they are attempting to implement these standards.

The playing field is no longer level, and there are factors outside your control that could literally determine whether or not you keep your job.

Oh, and let me add - it is a highly politicized environment in many districts, so the "It's not what you know, it's who you know" factor weighs heavily as well.

If you love what you are doing where you are at, but don't feel you are compensated fairly, tough it out or find another career field. It won't be any better here - in fact, it will be worse.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay