Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 05:38 PM

63 posts, read 140,725 times

Advertisements

my wife and i are moving from SD to FL. (many reasons for moving and i know about the weather changes and i read through most of the florida threads about pros and cons)
First and most let me say I have never been in florida before, but deep down i feel close to its beauty.

there are 3 choices
Tampa
Palm beach
Orlando

I put Tampa first since i rather live in Tampa
Palm beach I heard about Boca Raton
Orlando i heard about windermere but that is the last choice
I was wondering if you guys can help us chose a place.
we have no kid so school or community doesn't matter. both are mid 30's, not much of a night lifer but somewhere in between. like a quiet area to live. don't like to be in a middle of noises.
we'll be renting and would like to know what is the proper rent budget for 1bdr. we are watching our budget and like to pay minimum in a good area that is safe and quiet.
what areas you guy suggest and any pointers would help
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 07:33 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times
It depends on how hard you want to look. I think you can find a decent 1BR for $700 if you look hard enough. I recommend the Carrollwood area for safety and quiet. Also some parts of Brandon/Riverview. If you like funky, Seminole Heights, but it can be spotty in terms of safety.

Some folks are going to jump in and make fun of me for that $700.00 figure. It can be done, I've done it, but it takes a certain amount of researching to strike that balance between budget and safety.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:16 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,904 times
Check out St. Petersburg. Old North East is amazing and you can find 1 bedrooms around the $700 mark that are pretty good. I live in one, and it's all brand new. I can walk to the most lively downtown and waterfront area of Tampa Bay, gorgeous waterfront parks are steps away, and the neighborhood is gorgeous. Very walkable and laid back here. Lots to do, and the beaches are real close.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellzone View Post
First and most let me say I have never been in florida before, but deep down i feel close to its beauty.
Nothing like living spontaneously or making spur of the moment decisions but in a move this major wouldnt a 2 week exploratory trip be in your best interest as even though most love their move to Fla many hate the place for whatever reason.
I concur with the St Pete area,old style Fla with all the beaches.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:41 AM

315 posts, read 652,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Nothing like living spontaneously or making spur of the moment decisions but in a move this major wouldnt a 2 week exploratory trip be in your best interest as even though most love their move to Fla many hate the place for whatever reason.
I concur with the St Pete area,old style Fla with all the beaches.
^this, we might see one of those "I hate this place threads" in about 8 months if not

Old 09-26-2012, 05:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
^this, we might see one of those "I hate this place threads" in about 8 months if not
You wont get any hate threads coming from me..Florida is paradise,every one should move there.they have beaches and hot weather,what more could any one want....

Old 09-26-2012, 06:16 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,387,154 times
I strongly, strongly urge you to visit FL before committing to the move. The only thing in common with San Diego is water and palm trees.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:47 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Out of all the choices, Tampa Bay area is by far the best. I will second or third living in old NE in downtown St. Pete. It's a beautiful area with a lot to offer. You really need to come and explore the area before making such a big move. Reading the internet and getting opinions is NOT the same as seeing and experiencing with your own eyes.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:57 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Definitely come visit for at least a few weeks.
That being said, the Tampa area will your best fit.
The other areas you're considering will be very fast paced.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:23 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
I strongly, strongly urge you to visit FL before committing to the move. The only thing in common with San Diego is water and palm trees.
I am betting that "SD" refers to South Dakota, not San Diego.

Just a guess on my part, but...

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay