Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 01:12 PM

71 posts, read 131,952 times

Advertisements

We're thinking of adding a ~12x20 ft screen room to the back of our house in So. Tampa. Basically, we want something with a pitched roof that will attach to the side of our house. We currently have a brick patio in the back, and the lot is quite small. But I'm convinced we'd use a screen room constantly. Eventually we would like to add a quasi outdoor kitchen out there.

Anyway, I'd like to know if any of you recently had this done in Tampa. And specifically, if anyone can suggest good companies to get quotes from.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 03:51 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,369,688 times
Spend $25 and join Angie's List. You'll save it many times over by employing reliable and trusted contractors who have already been vetted.

RM

Old 09-29-2012, 04:03 PM

5,132 posts, read 6,127,528 times
If you can afford it add windows, it will be the best extra money you would have spent.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:29 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,891,319 times
It will be a great addition. I had a screen room and closed it with glass all around and now it's a beautiful Home office.
The suggestion on checking on Angies List is a good one. I checked and had the best company I could find rated by others and also got the best price.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:27 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,298,376 times
If the space is small then your screen room will get pretty hot...and if you want to add a kitchen too...make that even hotter...you won't be spending much time there in that heat in the summer months. If the yard is small don't enclose it even more...put the outdoor kitchen, but don't enclose it if the space is small.

If there are bugs and all, put some of those citronella candles, tiki torches etc...I think you'll regret it.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:20 AM

1,139 posts, read 3,465,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Spend $25 and join Angie's List. You'll save it many times over by employing reliable and trusted contractors who have already been vetted.

RM
Angie's list sucks and this is from personal experience.
Most of the contractor's maybe reliable but they will charge you thro' the roof.

Best way is to open the yellow pages, make few phone calls and get estimates from 2-3 companies. They should provide estimates for free after a visit to your home.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:53 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,730,943 times
Ask for proof of license and insurance and don't go by a printed license number on a car and/or business card...it could be expired!

Old 09-30-2012, 09:29 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,369,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Angie's list sucks and this is from personal experience.
Most of the contractor's maybe reliable but they will charge you thro' the roof.

Best way is to open the yellow pages, make few phone calls and get estimates from 2-3 companies. They should provide estimates for free after a visit to your home.
I would be curious to know why you have a poor opinion of Angie's List. We, along with a number of family members, have been members for a number of years and have used them extensively. We have never had a problem with any of the service providers we have found through Angie's List.

RM

Old 10-01-2012, 07:56 AM

71 posts, read 131,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
If the space is small then your screen room will get pretty hot...and if you want to add a kitchen too...make that even hotter...you won't be spending much time there in that heat in the summer months. If the yard is small don't enclose it even more...put the outdoor kitchen, but don't enclose it if the space is small.

If there are bugs and all, put some of those citronella candles, tiki torches etc...I think you'll regret it.
tiki torches do not work. at all.

Even if they did, there's no way I'm going to light tiki torches every time i want to relax and have a drink/meal outside. I also don't understand why you think a screen room would get horribly hot? This thing would have a roof (providing shade that currently doesn't exist), ceiling fans, and walls that are screens (not windows). I've lived in homes with screen rooms in Florida. I have never experienced that they were hotter than than the ambient air, especially on a sunny day.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:07 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,298,376 times
We used to have one, so I know what it feels like inside of it.
You'll definitely need ceiling fans, but the screen is black which attracts heat, and then if the lot is smaller, then there isn't much of a breeze going around anymore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnichols2 View Post
tiki torches do not work. at all.

Even if they did, there's no way I'm going to light tiki torches every time i want to relax and have a drink/meal outside. I also don't understand why you think a screen room would get horribly hot? This thing would have a roof (providing shade that currently doesn't exist), ceiling fans, and walls that are screens (not windows). I've lived in homes with screen rooms in Florida. I have never experienced that they were hotter than than the ambient air, especially on a sunny day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay