Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 10:02 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
NYers, NJ-ites here all look like Tony Soprano. I give them a hello, good morning. Don't give them a joke. Might get one of these (clip not for children).

GoodFellas I'm funny how I mean, funny like I'm a clown - YouTube
So is this more thing, you guys are now blaming on northerners. Seriously it can't the answer for every social ill Tampa has. Nobody goes to Rays games, is the northern's fault they all root for the Yankees. Traffic sucks, the northerners can't drive. People don't want to talk to me, is the northerners they are all self absorbed jerks. At some point you have to look at yourself.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:38 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Well, if it wasn't 90%-10% we wouldn't.

I would love to see a statistic will how many FL-born lived here versus northeners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
So is this more thing, you guys are now blaming on northerners. Seriously it can't the answer for every social ill Tampa has. Nobody goes to Rays games, is the northern's fault they all root for the Yankees. Traffic sucks, the northerners can't drive. People don't want to talk to me, is the northerners they are all self absorbed jerks. At some point you have to look at yourself.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:40 PM

61 posts, read 114,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I agree.

Some of the friendliest people I've met since living here are the natives of Florida, but they are hard to find.
California is worse.. trust me.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:09 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8CA View Post
California is worse.. trust me.
I agree.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:16 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
I don't know why people really get worked up trying to figure out if people are friendly or not. I have no problem in having a conversation when I want to. If somebody starts, I would go along too. Two days ago, a lady started a conversation on a deli line and we were chatting for a few minute.

The other day we were in our neighborhood play ground (my whole family) and didn't take a minute before we struck a conversation with the so-called "unfriendly northerners". We chatted so long that his little kid (2 and half) wanted to go home perhaps hungry. We walk back to our house and he left to his. This is a neighborhood guy, in fact, knew where I lived but we never met before.

About those friendly European? Give me a break! The four countries I am most familiar with are the coldest I have seen in my life. They are so silent reading a news paper in train/tram/metro/bus that you can basically here a pin drop. I will say that once you get to know them and be freind they are for real though. We have a freind who came here to visit us all the way across the pond. But they are not the one who are going to start the conversation. JMO

I am with Magie, I have no problem what so ever in having a conversation. As others said the natives here are very few. In my company there are exactly, 3% of the employee that are from here. But I have no problem with everybody there. In fact, I just came across that those 3% came to my attention while talking about developments around here, they started to say " you know 20 years ago.." and so on.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:17 PM

LOL...That's funny, because I did not realize that people socialize with the homeless residing in the buses here in the US!

Were those buses electric? (Germany) because that too can contribute to the hearing of pin droppings!

Matter of fact, the buses "we" ride the most here are on Disney property, and I have yet to socialize with anyone in them...That's probably because the people riding them look like they'll need a month of therapy after one visit there with 2 to 4 children in tow. hahahahahahahah

I was definitely not referring to people socializing in BUSES in Europe! LOL But I am curious to know why you'd expect to socialize with someone in a bus setting in Europe? do you do that here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
About those friendly European? Give me a break! The four countries I am most familiar with are the coldest I have seen in my life. They are so silent reading a news paper in train/tram/metro/bus that you can basically here a pin drop. I will say that once you get to know them and be freind they are for real though. We have a freind who came here to visit us all the way across the pond. But they are not the one who are going to start the conversation. JMO

Old 10-21-2012, 03:44 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Bus was one of the communication I used. I was referring to bus/train/metro/tram IN EUROPE and those people are not homeless at all. Many people use that mode of transportation.

I rode train/tram every day for about 2 hours while living there and most people I know were doing exactly like me: ride their bike to train station, lock them there and travel back and forth from work everyday. And I was always surprised (this is a 2 hour/ day observation) nobody talked on those trains and trams except reading their news paper. So, that's what I am referring to. Obviously, you have a complete different experience. I have never been to Romania that seems to be your experience and you may well be right on that but your assertion of "in Europe people are more friendly than here" is not just what I saw.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:45 PM

205 posts, read 293,831 times
This is turning into a silly thread.

There are nice people in every city over the entire world and also mean people too. You interact with 0.1% or less of a given city's population every year.

If you "happen" to interact with 5 not-so-nice people while visiting Miami and 5 very nice people while visiting Tampa, you will of course go "well people in Tampa are much nicer than Miami," while in fact this is a nonsense statement as you have interacted with 5 people total out of 4 million in each area.

Also, it depends on your personality. If you try to strike up a conversation with your neighbor as he is hurrying to work, you might cheese him off. However, some people can talk on the go and not mind it. Maybe if you like surfing, you will like talking to people in Tampa about surfing, and as a result they seem friendlier than people in, say, Iowa, who might look at you like you're an insane person. Also it's a product of what type of environment you and others enjoy. If you are crammed into a subway in New York full of other people, you may strike up a conversation with someone due to the fact you are interacting with more people, or it could seem smothering and you or others could react in a more introverted fashion, whereas Tampa gives you some more space but you interact with less people per day, which could also be cause for introverted-ness.

It's hard to answer these types of questions from an unbiased perspective. We can all tell the OP our own observations, but that does not mean Tampa has mean people wandering all around, nor does it mean everyone here will be your best friend. My best advice for the OP is for you to come here and check it out yourself and see what your gut tells you when you're here.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:49 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
Face to face, the folks in Tampa Bay are quite friendly, but not all touchy-feely nosy friendly like you see in other parts of the South (thank goodness). Having said that, when Tampa Bay residents are anonymous in a crowd (sporting events, concerts) or driving on the roads, they're some of the most aggressive, rude louts I've come across. I don't really blame them, though-the heat and traffic makes everyone impatient.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:54 PM

That is precisely the same way I used to travel when I lived there, and not just through RO....Italy, France, Germany (the most), and that was never a place for socializing in my experience, unless I was traveling with my friends. In Italy we used to rent bikes to ride through towns, it was an excellent way to get around. I was saying that "here" in the US with a few cities as exceptions, I am afraid to ride buses considering how unpopular they are for the middle/non homeless ppl.

Back in EU if I wasn't with friends, I would read or listen to my then "cd-walkman"! Definitely not looking to strike a conversation with someone.

On the playground here its a completely different story because these are ppl I see daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
Bus was one of the communication I used. I was referring to bus/train/metro/tram IN EUROPE and those people are not homeless at all. Many people use that mode of transportation.

I rode train/tram every day for about 2 hours while living there and most people I know were doing exactly like me: ride their bike to train station, lock them there and travel back and forth from work everyday. And I was always surprised (this is a 2 hour/ day observation) nobody talked on those trains and trams except reading their news paper. So, that's what I am referring to. Obviously, you have a complete different experience. I have never been to Romania that seems to be your experience and you may well be right on that but your assertion of "in Europe people are more friendly than here" is not just what I saw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay