Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 08:50 PM

323 posts, read 684,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
1100 sq feet townhomes overlooking the Bay in Waterside South go for about $1300-$1400pm including amenities ( not power ) and basic cable.

Waterside North and South are two very distinct communities - North has a high degree of renters whereas South has more owner-occupiers with fewer renters. It's also much nicer.

I'm not sure where claurenzo viewed but his descriptions don't match properties I have seen for rent in Waterside South where they are fitted out to a high standard.
Two distinct communities? The management is the same. The quality of materials used to renovate (yes, renovate, don't let anyone fool you into thinking these are newly built buildings, THEY AREN'T) are questionable. Everything behind the drywall is the same old framing and foundation. Oh, and for the most part, even the new drywall is 1/8" thick crap. We saw 3 different units where this was the case. I weigh 115 lbs. and the wall flexed when I leaned on it to put my heels on. Give me a break, quality materials fitted to a high standard? Sure, if your standards are incredibly low. Here's a picture of the quality materials used to renovate the units. Our curtain rod in front of the french doors leading to the patio fell to the floor at 3 AM because the drywall wasn't thick enough to support a 2 lb. crappy piece of hardware. But wait, why couldn't the rod be anchored into a stud you might ask? Given this is a door frame and all.... One side of the rod was anchored to a stud, and the stud that was supposed to be supporting the other end of the rod, wasn't there. Surprise. They decided it would make sense to skip one I guess. We viewed 2 other units after our landlord let us out of our lease 9 months early due to the entire building being full of mold. Needless to say, we looked elsewhere. If you decide to live in this place, for crying out loud at least rent and don't buy, the values are still falling and given the condition of the premises and the buildings, I don't think anyone who bought those units as an investment (like our landlord) is going to be seeing a profit (or even breaking even) anytime soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Renting at Coquina Key-wall.jpg  

Last edited by druthb00; 12-06-2012 at 09:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 12:44 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by druthb00 View Post
Two distinct communities? The management is the same. The quality of materials used to renovate (yes, renovate, don't let anyone fool you into thinking these are newly built buildings, THEY AREN'T) are questionable. Everything behind the drywall is the same old framing and foundation. Oh, and for the most part, even the new drywall is 1/8" thick crap. We saw 3 different units where this was the case. I weigh 115 lbs. and the wall flexed when I leaned on it to put my heels on. Give me a break, quality materials fitted to a high standard? Sure, if your standards are incredibly low. Here's a picture of the quality materials used to renovate the units. Our curtain rod in front of the french doors leading to the patio fell to the floor at 3 AM because the drywall wasn't thick enough to support a 2 lb. crappy piece of hardware. But wait, why couldn't the rod be anchored into a stud you might ask? Given this is a door frame and all.... One side of the rod was anchored to a stud, and the stud that was supposed to be supporting the other end of the rod, wasn't there. Surprise. They decided it would make sense to skip one I guess. We viewed 2 other units after our landlord let us out of our lease 9 months early due to the entire building being full of mold. Needless to say, we looked elsewhere. If you decide to live in this place, for crying out loud at least rent and don't buy, the values are still falling and given the condition of the premises and the buildings, I don't think anyone who bought those units as an investment (like our landlord) is going to be seeing a profit (or even breaking even) anytime soon.

I can only speak for Waterside South where the majority of the properties are privately owned and which has its own separate HOA which is very well funded and well managed.

The picture you paint is not one that I am familiar with - it is an excellent community with great facilities ( two swimming pools, a gym, tennis courts and a bar ) and many of the properties have been renovated by their owners to an extremely high standard.

Prospective tenants are thoroughly vetted and Waterside South is extremnely diligent over the type of person they allow in.

Security is as tight as a camel's arse in a sandstorm and the entire property is a delight to view with every single property looking out onto water.

A large number of these properties have been bought by wealthy investors in the years since the downturn, precisely because they represent extremely good value for their position on the waterfront.

But then the fact that you are renting rather than being in a position to purchase suggests that perhaps they rather than you have the better financial judgement.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I can only speak for Waterside South where the majority of the properties are privately owned and which has its own separate HOA which is very well funded and well managed.

The picture you paint is not one that I am familiar with - it is an excellent community with great facilities ( two swimming pools, a gym, tennis courts and a bar ) and many of the properties have been renovated by their owners to an extremely high standard.

Prospective tenants are thoroughly vetted and Waterside South is extremnely diligent over the type of person they allow in.

Security is as tight as a camel's arse in a sandstorm and the entire property is a delight to view with every single property looking out onto water.

A large number of these properties have been bought by wealthy investors in the years since the downturn, precisely because they represent extremely good value for their position on the waterfront.

But then the fact that you are renting rather than being in a position to purchase suggests that perhaps they rather than you have the better financial judgement.
I hadn't realized my financial position was part of this. I haven't rented there since 2010 and when I did, as I said before, we were there 3 months before leaving. I recently purchased a property in a much better neighborhood, thank you. And as far as extremely good value, I supposed selling a condo for $61,000 (5215 Coquina Key Dr SE APT B, Saint Petersburg, FL 33705 - Zillow) when they paid $209,000 for it just 4 years prior was a great investment for this person That's a heck of a profit....Or maybe this person (http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/52...68603559_zpid/) paying $336,600 and selling for $125,000. By the way, as you'll notice, I used units in the "prestigious" Waterside South as my example. And if these have been purchased by "wealthy investors" then they would be purchasing to either rent out or flip (what a joke, good luck to them) these units. Interesting, given your previous statement about a high number of owners vs. renters... Good luck you to anyhow, as it's obvious you have ties to this place.

Last edited by druthb00; 12-07-2012 at 04:34 AM..

Old 12-07-2012, 04:48 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,074 times
Quote:
I hadn't realized my financial position was part of this. I haven't rented there since 2010 and when I did, as I said before, we were there 3 months before leaving. I recently purchased a property in a much better neighborhood, thank you. And as far as extremely good value, I supposed selling a condo for $61,000 (5215 Coquina Key Dr SE APT B, Saint Petersburg, FL 33705 - Zillow) when they paid $209,000 for it just 4 years prior was a great investment for this person That's a heck of a profit....Or maybe this person (5285 Coquina Key Dr SE APT B, Saint Petersburg, FL 33705 - Zillow) paying $336,600 and selling for $125,000. By the way, as you'll notice, I used units in the "prestigious" Waterside South as my example. And if these have been purchased by "wealthy investors" then they would be purchasing to either rent out or flip (what a joke, good luck to them) these units. Interesting, given your previous statement about a high number of owners vs. renters... Good luck you to anyhow, as it's obvious you have ties to this place.

Did you actually read my post which contained the words " A large number of these properties have been bought by wealthy investors in the years since the downturn " because from your post it appears you didn't.

The current prices on these waterfront condos represent fantastic value and if you knew anything about Waterside South - which you clearly don't - you'd realise people buying them now are experienced investors who know a bargain when they see one.

And the fact that so few properties on Waterside South are for sale indicates to me that the current owners are more than happy with where they live.

Facts,buddy, not heresay and barstool opinions.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:41 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,650,729 times
My son attended Stetson Law School so we looked into rentals at Waterside for him...they were beautiful...but the drive in was disturbing and I'm from NYC. I was concerned about him coming home late at night and driving through the surrounding area! But for myself...I would love to live there...the views for the price are fantastic!

Old 12-07-2012, 02:31 PM

Regarding my barstool opionions, you may have the last word. None of it matters to me and I am allowed to have my negative opinions about a place I despise (because I've been on the inside, not because I "don't know anything about it") just as you are allowed to wear your rose-colored glasses. Again, best of luck, you'll need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
My son attended Stetson Law School so we looked into rentals at Waterside for him...they were beautiful...but the drive in was disturbing and I'm from NYC. I was concerned about him coming home late at night and driving through the surrounding area! But for myself...I would love to live there...the views for the price are fantastic!
The complex we were renting in, Seaside Villas, is very popular with the Stetson students. Many students rents in the first two buildings there, not so much on the waterfront building because it's definitely more expensive. There are more snowbirds in that building than anything else. Regardless, Seaside is going to be more expensive than Waterside as far as price/sq ft. goes, but it's undoubtedly a nicer area. We took a $300/month rent increase just to get the heck out of Waterside before we got sick from the mold. Even though it's pricier, the views of Boca Ciega bay are gorgeous from our balcony and totally worth every penny. You may look into it. I know they run specials for Stetson students, but what the prices are I don't know.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Regarding my barstool opionions, you may have the last word. None of it matters to me and I am allowed to have my negative opinions about a place I despise (because I've been on the inside, not because I "don't know anything about it") just as you are allowed to wear your rose-colored glasses. Again, best of luck, you'll need it.

The complex we were renting in, Seaside Villas, is very popular with the Stetson students. Many students rents in the first two buildings there, not so much on the waterfront building because it's definitely more expensive. There are more snowbirds in that building than anything else. Regardless, Seaside is going to be more expensive than Waterside as far as price/sq ft. goes, but it's undoubtedly a nicer area. We took a $300/month rent increase just to get the heck out of Waterside before we got sick from the mold. Even though it's pricier, the views of Boca Ciega bay are gorgeous from our balcony and totally worth every penny. You may look into it. I know they run specials for Stetson students, but what the prices are I don't know.
He wound up renting at Pelican Creek Crossing...it was ok...he graduated and passed the Bar Exam...but still works in St.Pete!

Old 12-07-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
He wound up renting at Pelican Creek Crossing...it was ok...he graduated and passed the Bar Exam...but still works in St.Pete!
LOL, I mis-read, you said attended, not currently attending. Sorry Good for him, though

Old 12-07-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
LOL, I mis-read, you said attended, not currently attending. Sorry Good for him, though
Thanks!

Old 12-12-2012, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,908 times
I was there last week to see an apartment OMG! I knocked and KNOCKED AND KNOCKED no one came to the glass door. The front office had a will be back sign and the door was open I went in and waited about 30 minutes no one showed up. Dont even think about calling. The phone just rings and rings. eventually you will get someone to pick up the phone, but not in a pleasant manner at all!! They are rude, take your money somewhere else!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay