Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 05:55 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,800,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
My question is how much did all of that cost?
It cost our insurance company about $180,000 when all was said and done. We had State Farm at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 07:17 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
It cost our insurance company about $180,000 when all was said and done. We had State Farm at the time.
I have seen prices on things like this from $90,000 and up. My question is why does it cost so much to basically pump concrete under a house? There are no forms to be put up or anything. I believe, could be wrong here, that they basically identify the size of the hole and dig holes to put the concrete pumping hoses into and pump away. The price seems extremely excessive, given full foundation excavations and pours can be done for $20,000. What am I missing here? I must be missing something.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:50 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
Some of those houses probablly arent worth the cost of the grout put underneath them.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:16 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
The company that I know of doing underpinning now are offering lifetime transferable warranties.

And while the prices are jacked up a bit, it is also not as easy as just drilling down and then pumping in the grout. Then you also need to figure in all the cosmetic repairs which can sometimes be almost as much as the grouting.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
I have seen prices on things like this from $90,000 and up. My question is why does it cost so much to basically pump concrete under a house? There are no forms to be put up or anything. I believe, could be wrong here, that they basically identify the size of the hole and dig holes to put the concrete pumping hoses into and pump away. The price seems extremely excessive, given full foundation excavations and pours can be done for $20,000. What am I missing here? I must be missing something.
Yeah. The cost is pretty jacked up. But like someone else said in this thread, there's a lot more that goes into the process than pumping grout into the void. It took about 45 truckloads of cement to fill the void beneath our home. On top of that, we had chemical grouting done to stablize the sandy upper layer. We were told by an outside appraiser that our home's foundation (and others that have been repaired in a similar manner) were probably the thickest and safest in the entire state! I'm confident that sucker isn't going anywhere.

Then there are repairs that must be done to the exterior of the house. We had to have all the cracks sealed and the whole house re-painted. We lost all of our landscaping due to the heavy equipment being used around the house's perimeter, so that had to be replaced. Because they had to drill through our driveway and lanai, that had to be replaced as well.

The interior had to be re-done, too. All the tiles had to be removed since many had popped off the foundation. We had tile throughout, so this was a monstrous job. The wall and ceiling cracks had to be filled and re-painted, which in nearly every room meant the whole room had to be re-painted. By the time everything was finished, we essentially had a brand-new house!

The funny thing was, we originally wanted to cash out. The insurance company refused to do that since they said the repairs did not exceed the cash out value of our house. Unfortunately for them, they actually ended up paying 30K MORE than our cash out value when all was said and done because we had to have the chemical grouting done. That was something they hadn't anticipated.

I would NEVER want to go through this situation again. It was a nightmare. Although we ended up with a beautfully remodeled home that didn't cost us a penny (other than our deductible), the process took over a year from start to finish and we were living in a construction zone for several months.

That's why I say it's far better to buy a properly repaired sinkhole home than to purchase an unknown.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Some of those houses probablly arent worth the cost of the grout put underneath them.
Definitely true in our case! Our house is currently worth about 100K in this market. We paid $195 for it during the height of the market and then had nearly $180K worth of work done to it because of the sinkhole.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:55 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
Yeah. The cost is pretty jacked up. But like someone else said in this thread, there's a lot more that goes into the process than pumping grout into the void. It took about 45 truckloads of cement to fill the void beneath our home. On top of that, we had chemical grouting done to stablize the sandy upper layer. We were told by an outside appraiser that our home's foundation (and others that have been repaired in a similar manner) were probably the thickest and safest in the entire state! I'm confident that sucker isn't going anywhere.

Then there are repairs that must be done to the exterior of the house. We had to have all the cracks sealed and the whole house re-painted. We lost all of our landscaping due to the heavy equipment being used around the house's perimeter, so that had to be replaced. Because they had to drill through our driveway and lanai, that had to be replaced as well.

The interior had to be re-done, too. All the tiles had to be removed since many had popped off the foundation. We had tile throughout, so this was a monstrous job. The wall and ceiling cracks had to be filled and re-painted, which in nearly every room meant the whole room had to be re-painted. By the time everything was finished, we essentially had a brand-new house!

The funny thing was, we originally wanted to cash out. The insurance company refused to do that since they said the repairs did not exceed the cash out value of our house. Unfortunately for them, they actually ended up paying 30K MORE than our cash out value when all was said and done because we had to have the chemical grouting done. That was something they hadn't anticipated.

I would NEVER want to go through this situation again. It was a nightmare. Although we ended up with a beautfully remodeled home that didn't cost us a penny (other than our deductible), the process took over a year from start to finish and we were living in a construction zone for several months.

That's why I say it's far better to buy a properly repaired sinkhole home than to purchase an unknown.
Thx for all that detail. I figured I must have been missing something.....and obviously I was.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:41 PM

19 posts, read 57,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
"Settlement issues" are one thing, but active sinkhole activity is another. Settlement issues can usually be corrected, cosmetically, while sinkhole damage would be a lot harder to hide. You won't find "settlement issues" list by the property appraiser.

Yes, there are/were thousands of bogus sink hole claims. Just hire a sinkhole company, they will go to no end to find a sinkhole on your property. Some sub divisions are notorious for the sink hole claims within the sub division but little to no activity surrounding the sub division.

Also bearing in my mind most of those who come by and check your ground via radar will find voids.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:53 PM

19 posts, read 57,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
The Hernando County property appraiser was the guest speaker at my HOA annual meeting. One thing he discussed was sinkholes. A permit is required if a property is going to be checked for sinkholes. This prevents someone from getting their place checked, finding out it has one, and putting it up for sale without disclosing it. They will be unable to hide it since a permit was pulled.

Granted, this is a fairly recent change. But it's a step in the right direction.

You can check the county GIS maps. If a house has an unrepaired sinkhole, there is a red symbol superimposed over it. If it has a repaired sinkhole, it's a green symbol. If there's no symbol, it wasn't checked. The symbol looks like a plastic house from the Monopoly board game.

http://www.hernandocountygis-fl.us/PublicMapGallery/
Noticed this change requiring a permit for sinkhole investigation occurred sometime in 2011. How does one find out of ones house was investigated in the past prior to this date ? Also , if a permit wasn't pulled prior to this date and seller sold you a home knowing that there are voids would there be legel implementations ?

Old 04-06-2013, 05:22 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limeybastard View Post
Also bearing in my mind most of those who come by and check your ground via radar will find voids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay