Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 05:15 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,732,248 times

Advertisements

Just went to trader joes for the first time, not very impressed. The only upside I saw (comparing prices), was the price on red quinoa and their wines. Everything else was more expensive (comparing trader joes brand to 365). There wine prices are pretty decent, however, whole foods has great deals as well, WF carries a great range of wines from 8-10 bucks, and they usually have 20$ bottles on sale for 10$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 08:10 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,897,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Just arrived at trader joes in Sarasota. Store is absolutely mobbed. On a Monday. In the middle of the day. Not even in Snowbird season.

The south Tampa store is going to have maaaaaajor traffic issues.
TJ's is EXTREMELY popular. I have never been to one anywhere, where it was not very busy.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
They missed the best part. BACON!

Old 10-19-2013, 08:53 PM

4,476 posts, read 3,846,099 times
for every person who hates or is underwhelmed by trader joes,
there's about 17 million people who would gladly take that hater's place in line at the checkout

Old 10-19-2013, 09:10 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Just went to trader joes for the first time, not very impressed. The only upside I saw (comparing prices), was the price on red quinoa and their wines. Everything else was more expensive (comparing trader joes brand to 365). There wine prices are pretty decent, however, whole foods has great deals as well, WF carries a great range of wines from 8-10 bucks, and they usually have 20$ bottles on sale for 10$.
I went to my first WF Grand Opening (Tallahassee) and holy cow, talk about deals - there were so many "buy one/get one free" deals that made it so worthwhile for me to buy some things and ship it home flat rate. I'm hoping I'll catch another one once I'm living down there.

Sorry you were disappointed with TJ's. The consensus on this board has been a split for and against. personally, I really like the store but I use it more to supplement my shopping vs. a weekly or even bi-weekly visit. I find, at least where I am, that their chicken is MUCH more reasonable than Whole Foods. I'm very much into buying the healthiest version I can afford but even I have my limits with WF at times.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:01 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post
I went to my first WF Grand Opening (Tallahassee) and holy cow, talk about deals - there were so many "buy one/get one free" deals that made it so worthwhile for me to buy some things and ship it home flat rate. I'm hoping I'll catch another one once I'm living down there.

Sorry you were disappointed with TJ's. The consensus on this board has been a split for and against. personally, I really like the store but I use it more to supplement my shopping vs. a weekly or even bi-weekly visit. I find, at least where I am, that their chicken is MUCH more reasonable than Whole Foods. I'm very much into buying the healthiest version I can afford but even I have my limits with WF at times.

the only meat i get at whole foods is the ground chuck, 5.99 lb and frozen mahi mahi. usually i get black angus from a regular grocery its much cheaper. i dont eat much chicken, but when i do its not bad if you buy a family bulk package. i usually stick to the 365 brand items, much better on the wallet

Old 10-19-2013, 10:09 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,804,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I had the same impression. I've got something to try and it was OK (but not to the point to drive for an hour or fight for parking LOL). We also bought wine - different kinds with different price tags... $3 bottles are the worse wine I have ever tried.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:23 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
I had the same impression. I've got something to try and it was OK (but not to the point to drive for an hour or fight for parking LOL). We also bought wine - different kinds with different price tags... $3 bottles are the worse wine I have ever tried.
i like wine, but not the cheap stuff. there is a huge difference between flavors...some people cant tell those differences so they drink the cheap 3$ bottles because its something they have no issues with.

they have better prices on processed packaged foods, but i rarely ever eat that stuff. many shoppers that find TJ to be superior to WF have a shopping list that is tailored for TJ, processed junk, including packaged lunch meats and cheese, these were cheaper at TJ and they were the same brand. As for real food (eggs, meat, dairy, produce...etc.) WF has a much better selection with cheaper prices and someone that will cut you fresh meat, this is why i like WF better, it is tailored to my dietary needs.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:27 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,745,297 times
I gues TJ is moving into Florida, our Miami store opened this Friday. The line of cars went on for a least a 1/2 mile on US 1.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
for every person who hates or is underwhelmed by trader joes,
there's about 17 million people who would gladly take that hater's place in line at the checkout
Yep!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay