Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 07:11 PM

49 posts, read 81,087 times

Advertisements

Hi... My Wife and I searching out some areas and opportunities in a few areas of Florida. We are both in our young 30's, I am a Financial Planner and my wife is an MBA working in banking. We have no kids, and not having any either. I am very familiar with Florida, having spent a substantial amount of time with Family in Jacksonville (which would be my #1 choice, but not sure if there are as many job opportunities). And also familiar with the Ft. Myers/Naples area but that is more of a sleepy snow bird area.

Coming from Pittsburgh, we welcome the lower taxes (we are getting taxed to death up here). But we love everything that Florida has to offer and we have been planning a move for a few years now., and definitely fits our lifestyle much more vs. spending 6 months inside here.

Tampa is the one area that we are not familiar with, but on the list of possible locations based on the business atmosphere. We are looking for other's thoughts on life in the Tampa area, good places to live (we are suburbanites and of course would plan on purchasing a home in time), good areas to live to commute into the city, real estate taxes, etc... Although we would look for a low crime area, schools are not much of a factor as we won't be having children.

We are planning a trip soon to come down and spend some time getting a feel for the whole area, and looking for some guidance while we are there. There seems to be nice areas north and south of the city, just trying to learn the landscape. Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 07:51 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
I don't know if this is on your radar or not but Miami is the banking capital of Latin America.

As far as coming down for a trip to scout out the area, I would get a www.VRBO.com instead of a hotel room. That way you can actually stay in a neighborhood instead of in a tourist area.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:05 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,081,210 times
An add on to that comment re vrbo.com most of the places are at the beach, and there are some beach communities you would like to live in I am sure, others are not so close. I feel that if you are planning to stay as
'dinkies' then downtown St Pete is the place for you to live, with maybe a home in old NE you will love it I am sure.
You can drive to Tampa for work if that is where you end up, but RayJay HQ is not far away either.
That of course is my opinion and there are plenty who will advise south tampa too its just that St PEte has such a wonderful city on the water with everything in walking distance.
Its also full of cultural attractions all close together, restaurants, waterfront, events - Id live there but have to wait to lose the kids!

Old 04-08-2013, 10:41 AM

49 posts, read 81,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
An add on to that comment re vrbo.com most of the places are at the beach, and there are some beach communities you would like to live in I am sure, others are not so close. I feel that if you are planning to stay as
'dinkies' then downtown St Pete is the place for you to live, with maybe a home in old NE you will love it I am sure.
You can drive to Tampa for work if that is where you end up, but RayJay HQ is not far away either.
That of course is my opinion and there are plenty who will advise south tampa too its just that St PEte has such a wonderful city on the water with everything in walking distance.
Its also full of cultural attractions all close together, restaurants, waterfront, events - Id live there but have to wait to lose the kids!
How is housing in Downtown St. Pete though? We are not interested in Condo living. We are much more suburbanites without the kids to go with it. I like peace and quiet and a single family home. And yes, staying Dinks for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay