Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 05:34 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Again, more whining, and snide remarks, and no solution! No, because "every company" will most likely not have to deal with them because they won't be applying at "every company"!

I am sorry, again, what is your solution? there are 1 in 88 children diagnosed, and 1 in 55 boys.
People who think this way have no solution.

Apparently, they believe that no accommodations should be made for anyone with differing abilities and they should be left for the government to care for. Except they don't like that either because none of their hard earned tax dollars should be going to help any of these lazy people with no jobs. So, kick them off welfare and throw them into the streets. And then they can gripe and moan about all these good for nothings that beg for their hard earned money. So clearly the solution is to just make them all go away. As long as it doesn't cost them any time or money and they don't have to think about it.

Last edited by Maggi07; 04-16-2013 at 05:57 AM..

Old 04-16-2013, 06:22 AM

66 posts, read 97,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
As long as it doesn't cost them any time or money and they don't have to think about it.

at least you get it

Old 04-16-2013, 06:28 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
What should parents do? what exactly would you do if you had an Autistic child?
What parents who have kids with Down syndrom do?

Old 04-16-2013, 06:33 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfitch21 View Post
at least you get it
I know I do. I deal with people like you all the time. Of course, everything changes when something happens to THEM.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:34 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,115 times
Now the same people who fired him (and those like them) will complain when he gets on the public dole. It's a circle jerk of insanity. We don't want people with disabilities working, and we don't want them on the dole. So what do we do? The right refuses to provide a solution. As a person with Aspergers, this kinda stuff doesn't suprise me. Sometimes I feel like who's more screwed up me or the people around me?

When someone with a mental illness or other disabling condition chooses to work rather then be on the dole, this should be embraced. Instead they just get the rug thrown under them.

What a shame.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:01 AM

158 posts, read 227,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMor2Day View Post
The Museum of Science and Industry is firing a young man with autism. He received a 3-4 complaints his first week in customer service - which is a lot. They had him shadow another employee for a week, told him that he should use words like please, thank you, okay but next time... things to soften the blow. He then went a week with just one complaint (significant improvement) and then the next week he was fired bcs he told the child directly and not the parent that he was breaking the rule (kid was like 8-10) and it startled the child. So 6 complaints in 4 weeks.

What do you think? Is that reasonable? Is it lawful?

Mind you the people complaining - are breaking the rules - touching exhibits, bringing open drinks into exhibit areas and his job is to enforce the rules. He can do his job, the customers just don't like how its done - "he could be nicer", "he didn't have to say it so loud", "he was rude about it" those kind of vague things.

IDK.

I think they need to make a good faith effort to train him .. or transfer him to a non-customer service job. Why fire him? It is obvious it is because of the disability. In addition, he's working in a temporary, part time position. Why not work with him for the couple of months the Sea Monsters exhibit is there and then if he doesn't make the improvements let him go.. there's just no reason to fire him. They could schedule him less while he does some additional (volunteer) training. I think firing people has detrimental effects.

In addition, MOSI is planning on opening an exhibit about Autism and they can't even work with with someone who's made strides (1 complaint compared to 3/4 his first week) dealing with the obstacles that come with it.

In addition - bcs everything's done by committee - no one is accountable, bcs it isnt' just her (VP) or him CEO saying he needs to go (bcs they all have enough heart to know you work with people not throw them away) so no one stands behind it and yet there's "no other choice but to fire him". Please! I can come up with a half dozen in the 10 min I wrote this!

I can't personally take action against MOSI bcs my livelihood would be at stake but I would support anyone who did. He worked in the education department under VP Anthonette Carregal. President of MOSI -> Wit Ostrenko.
What is your source for this info? Do you work there or have some sort of insider info? My quick google search didnt find anything in the news...doesnt seem like it is public info.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:09 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,838 times
Default April: Autism awareness Month

Autism Awareness - YouTube

Old 04-16-2013, 07:20 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
Thank you.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:25 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post

Same thing, some of them are able to work, and some are not, and live off welfare, and in the constant care of their parents, and when their parents die some end up in the streets because there is no care available that is affordable for them to live somewhat of a normal life like you and me.

It is really disturbing to read such intolerant posts against someone with a disability they cannot control.

Last edited by Sunscape; 04-16-2013 at 03:39 PM..

Old 04-16-2013, 07:25 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
My wife works for a non profit that works with the Florida Division of Vocational Rehabilitation. People with disabilities go there and get assign a counselor that works with them. Part of my wife's job is to assess the people and determine what kind of job they can do, sometimes is retraining. Once that is identified they help them find jobs, they go with them to interviews. A lot of the people she sees are autistic. I often hear her complain about employers who don't give them a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay