Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2013, 11:20 AM

30,436 posts, read 21,280,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
The data that I used has May 1979 rainfall of 16.81 inches and that is the record for the station out of 70 years of data I plot.
I remember them 2 days like it was today. I was in highscool and everything was flooded. Now that is my kind of weather.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:33 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Trip Explorer Tampa, USA : Weather Underground | Weather Underground

Scroll down to the bottom and you can see the recorded rainfall (and other pertinent information such as humidity and dewpoint) every day in May for the last several years. Please note that most May days had zero recorded precipitation. Only one of those recent Mays was moderately rainy, most were basically dry. That is normal.

Normal includes a range of conditions. Summer rains typically start sometime between late May and mid-June, but it is nevertheless within the range of normal for May to be completely dry or nearly so.
3.02" of rain is "normal" for May where we live. Have not received that much. Not even close. Not completely dry, thanks to that recent downpour when the dew point and temperature were proper to produce the storms, but not even close to 3".

You are correct that the second half of May is when it picks up, but that is sort of the basis of this thread. We were not getting to where we should be, even though so many have said, "just wait one more week"......for the last several weeks.

And it is not just actual rain that this thread is about. It is about dew points as well and right now they are INCREDIBLY low for this time of year. Steve Jerve had it right!

Old 05-25-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
May indeed is dry compared to other months. But that doesn't mean we get nothing.

I just got the data for May for one of the longest station in Tampa Bay and plot a none exceedance probability. So, we don't need to fight how May has been looking historically . The data shows.. that 50% of the time we don't get more than about 3 inches, 40% of the time we get 2 inches or less, and so on.
This is a GREAT chart showing just how much rain we "should normally" expect. Not quite the bone dry scenario some seem to think. Thanks for posting.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:43 PM

And he still thinks it's just dewpoints that make for T-storms. What about winter when dewpoints are just in the lower 60's and we still get strong storms? I guess lift and upper level energy play no part in it.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
And he still thinks it's just dewpoints that make for T-storms. What about winter when dewpoints are just in the lower 60's and we still get strong storms? I guess lift and upper level energy play no part in it.
Sometimes you are factually correct on some things. Sometimes you are flat out incorrect on some things. Other times, you simply mislead.......which you just did here. And to prove that point, here is my post earlier on in the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post

This is pretty good "winter" weather, but I am looking forward to more typical weather. Six weeks ago people were telling me to just wait a month. Well that came and went and I'm still waiting. Don't get me wrong....the weather beats the crap out of the weather in the north, IMO, but I am and have been ready for what we came here for weatherwise..........nice and warm and higher dew points.......which are some of the main ingredients for creating mother nature's fireworks.
So no, I do not think and have never said that it is JUST dew points that create thunderstorms.

It really would be nice to keep things factual and on point here, but I have kinda lost hope for that. I see other motives at play, so I will just leave that be.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:00 PM

You just can't face facts. You would never have any T-storms without lift, winter or summer.

You could have dew points around 80 and still not get a drop of rain within a 100 miles of your house if you have high pressure aloft capping lift. How much more FACTUAL can i get with you on here???

You are hung up on dewpoints alone it seems. Wake up son.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:07 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,455,798 times
I always love a good weather argument.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
You just can't face facts. You would never have any T-storms without lift, winter or summer.

You could have dew points around 80 and still not get a drop of rain within a 100 miles of your house if you have high pressure aloft capping lift. How much more FACTUAL can i get with you on here???

You are hung up on dewpoints alone it seems. Wake up son.
LOL!

Are you enjoying your false argument? Does making false posts about what I said make you feel more "right"? I even reposted where I stated dew points and temps are only "some of" the ingredients.....yet you continue an argument which does not exist. This thread is about the temp and dew point "portion" of the elements.

Do you think people can't read what was posted on their own? Wake up daughter!

You can continue your false argument if that makes you feel better, but you are on your own. The posts are there for people to clearly see.

I totally understand Mike more than ever now. Have a wonderful evening.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:18 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,634,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
3.02" of rain is "normal" for May where we live. Have not received that much. Not even close. Not completely dry, thanks to that recent downpour when the dew point and temperature were proper to produce the storms, but not even close to 3".
There is a difference between "average" and "normal". "Average" is a mathematical figure which can be skewed by extreme outlying conditions. Such as the way unusually rainy years skew the average up in a month which is generally pretty dry. So far Tampa International has recorded almost 2 inches which is well within the range of normal.
Quote:
You are correct that the second half of May is when it picks up, but that is sort of the basis of this thread. We were not getting to where we should be, even though so many have said, "just wait one more week"......for the last several weeks.
Sometimes it does. Sometimes it doesn't start until the middle of June. It is "normal" for the summer rains to begin sometime between mid-May and mid-June. If we get to the end of June and the rains still haven't started, that would be abnormal.
Quote:
And it is not just actual rain that this thread is about. It is about dew points as well and right now they are INCREDIBLY low for this time of year. Steve Jerve had it right!
You should look at the dataset that I posted a link to. The dewpoints we are having are perfectly normal.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
The dewpoints we are having are perfectly normal.
This is 100% factually incorrect. Palm Harbor's dew point this weekend is only 55 degrees. The average for this time of year is close to 70 degrees. The dew points are WAY below normal. If you believe they are normal, you may want to give Steve Jerve a call and let him know his doesn't know what he is talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay