Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 12:55 PM

19 posts, read 39,790 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

What are some affordable moving companies you have used to relocate to the St. Pete / Tampa area? Long distance moving can be costly, as we all know. Any information on moving companies, your experience with them, how timely they were, and what condition your goods were delivered in are all key factors.

So far my top company I would consider is Mayflower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 06:32 PM

554 posts, read 977,400 times
I can't really advise on specific moving companies, just do not use a 'moving broker' which you find on the internet. It was a nightmare experience. If the people you talk to are not the actual moving company, don't deal with them.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:32 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinohio86 View Post
Hi All,

What are some affordable moving companies you have used to relocate to the St. Pete / Tampa area? Long distance moving can be costly, as we all know. Any information on moving companies, your experience with them, how timely they were, and what condition your goods were delivered in are all key factors.

So far my top company I would consider is Mayflower.
Not sure how much you are moving but have you considered renting a truck and driving yourself? I know U-Haul allows at least a 20' truck to be rented and you can even tow your vehicle for under $200 as long as you disconnect the axle (a good mechanic should be able to do this). Also, I believe they give you a week to reach your end destination so at least you feel more in charge and don't have to worry about any hidden or last minute up-charges.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:47 PM

31 posts, read 45,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post
Not sure how much you are moving but have you considered renting a truck and driving yourself? I know U-Haul allows at least a 20' truck to be rented and you can even tow your vehicle for under $200 as long as you disconnect the axle (a good mechanic should be able to do this). Also, I believe they give you a week to reach your end destination so at least you feel more in charge and don't have to worry about any hidden or last minute up-charges.
I did the U-Haul thing moving over 70 miles. It worked out great. I saved at least 50% compare to quotes from long distance movers. The best part is you can hire loading and unloading crews from their website after booking the truck. I got the best movers because U-Haul rated them based on customer feedbacks.
Part of the saving is you only have to pay for one way truck rental, because you can return the thing at any U-Haul locations near you new place.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:51 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
ABF UPack. Hire movers to load and unload. You will save a bundle. We did. Basically.... you load their container trucks and they do the driving for you. Not much more than renting a uhaul when you consider travel expenses and gas.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBI View Post
I did the U-Haul thing moving over 70 miles. It worked out great. I saved at least 50% compare to quotes from long distance movers. The best part is you can hire loading and unloading crews from their website after booking the truck. I got the best movers because U-Haul rated them based on customer feedbacks.
Part of the saving is you only have to pay for one way truck rental, because you can return the thing at any U-Haul locations near you new place.
I've used U-Haul for local moves but never long-distance but this looks to be my best bet. So hearing that you've done it successfully re-confirms my decision.

Also, the last time I moved, I used a moving crew through the U-Haul site and they were fantastic, courteous, and I was able to add on an extra hour at the last minute. We got them pizzas and they were so greatful, lol.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:05 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
We once drove a Uhaul from Texas to Seattle and put it on a barge up to Alaska. Driving a Uhual for intown moves are great. But man... driving that far was so incredibly uncomfortable I would never do it again. Although we were using the largest truck they had and it was about to be retired so it was old... and probably overloaded. LOL.

Do yourself a favor though. Get a quite from ABF Upack as well. We have used them 2 times now... both for across the nation moves (Seattle to Austin and Anchorage to Tampa) and will always use them if we have long moves.

I didn't like parking a Uhaul with my world possessions overnight in a motel parking lot with nothing more than a Lock on the door or ignition lock protecting them. Not to mention parking the beast sometimes. Also, plan on 6 - 8 MPG.

Also, the nice thing about ABF is that they can store your stuff in the container for an agreed amount of time so you can find a place and then unload the trailer. I think they may charge a bit extra.... but it's worth it instead of arriving with your Uhaul.... finding and paying for a storage unit... unloading into the storage unit. Then after finding your place, renting a Uhaul truck again.... loading it back up,,, just to unload it again into your new place.

Of course, if you already have a place rented when you show up.... you won't have that problem. See... we tend to move to places sight unseen. ;D Just something to think about when planning for expenses.

Oh... also..... whatever you figure for expenses add at LEAST 20% buffer onto it. Money was spent at an astonishing rate when we moved here.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:40 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience FloridaKash. I think the OP has some good options.

As far as for me, I think, now, I will get a quote from ABF. It wouldn't hurt. When I was going to move to San Diego, I remember getting a quote from them and thinking how expensive it was but that was years ago and you're right in the sense that it would be much nicer to not have to worry about driving/parking/keeping safe a very large U-Haul...especially since I'll be driving it!!

I did factor in gas, hotel and food expense when I was figuring my move and I always figure a bit high so I think I'm good in that respect.

The other thing the OP needs to consider is if there are pet(s) involved. Not all airlines are pet friendly (if you planned on flying and having a moving company do your move) and some of the storage facilities sound horrible. You can pay for a seat for your pet but when I was considering flying, I just couldn't do that to a plane full of people. It was doubtful my kitty would sit there nice and quiet, lol. So, to the OP, if you are moving with animals, there are several organizations which are geared specifically for travel safety and humane treatment for pets and your vet can also ensure the health and safety of them before travel.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:50 AM

877 posts, read 1,913,005 times
We've used Rocks Moving multiple times and always been happy with them. They have always come in under their quote.

Rock's Moving Company - Best Movers in Tampa and St. Petersburg Florida - Jobs

Old 05-27-2013, 06:41 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I used Graebel movers when I moved. I only had them move the 'big' stuff though. I then got a Uhaul and we packed the house with the smaller items and my son drove it to my new home. It was 600 miles. The good was that the moving co was able to deliver the big stuff a few days before I got there. My son drove up the other stuff and unloaded it but I had my daughter there so she was able to help unpack just about everything before I got there.

Check BBB for any moving co. Also FL has laws that state they can not change the price once they get your stuff to your house.

Good Luck moving is never fun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay