Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,746 times

Advertisements

I've been in the Tampa area now for about 6 months now. In that time I have seen some really odd things:
a person riding a kids motor scooter on the highway, people riding on the interstate in the back bed of a pick up truck, and various other strange things.

The sad part is, I moved to what I thought was an upscale area. It seems upscale in Florida means lower middle class elsewhere. If you have school age kids, you can expect most of the public school class to be free lunch, including the most exclusive areas. I've also heard that many people live in the local woods, and I don't mean in a cabin overlooking a mountain vista.

The houses here seem to be built all alike and seem very cheaply built, more so than anywhere else I've seen other than around Atlanta.

I have another 6 months of time to do here and then almost certainly will leave. While I like the beach and the sunny weather, most everything else has been a step down from elsewhere. You get what you pay for it really seems.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:36 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,207,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhjfoe View Post
I've been in the Tampa area now for about 6 months now. In that time I have seen some really odd things:
a person riding a kids motor scooter on the highway, people riding on the interstate in the back bed of a pick up truck, and various other strange things.

The sad part is, I moved to what I thought was an upscale area. It seems upscale in Florida means lower middle class elsewhere. If you have school age kids, you can expect most of the public school class to be free lunch, including the most exclusive areas. I've also heard that many people live in the local woods, and I don't mean in a cabin overlooking a mountain vista.

The houses here seem to be built all alike and seem very cheaply built, more so than anywhere else I've seen other than around Atlanta.

I have another 6 months of time to do here and then almost certainly will leave. While I like the beach and the sunny weather, most everything else has been a step down from elsewhere. You get what you pay for it really seems.
Which area did you move in? So, others would know this "deceiving upscale" area .

Old 05-24-2013, 09:40 AM

152 posts, read 478,525 times
Quote:

I've too have been here for about 6 months but I love it! I live in Tierra Verde, however, so maybe you should explore other upscale areas (especially near St Pete) to see if you feel more comfortable elsewhere.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:52 AM

4,483 posts, read 3,859,744 times
Where did you move here from? Santa Barbara, CA? The Hamptons? Aspen?

If you think Tampa is too downscale, you haven't traveled enough. Yes Tampa has a lot of trashy people, but so do many other major U.S. cities, including Atlanta and Washington, DC, where my step-brother lives. He lives in a $700,000 home in the Virginia suburbs where there are homeless tent "cities" across the street in a forest. Check out the wonderful photos righ here:

Despite strides, Northern Virginia still grappling with homelessness - WTOP.com

I recommend you invest in a house on Nantucket. The only people who drive pickup trucks there are the ones who go around the island scooping up dog poop.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:21 AM

552 posts, read 721,201 times
Just so you know, school districts arent drawn up to keep the lower class peoples kids from mingling with the middle/upper class kids. For example, the rich Westchase kids have to go to the same high school as the Town and Country kids.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:36 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,167,670 times
Quote:

Would your place be available to rent or buy? Having a hard time securing rentals or purchase here in these 'upscale ' areas. Care to sublet, rent it or sell ? DM me if so.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:25 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,015,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
Which area did you move in? So, others would know this "deceiving upscale" area .
How would you even classify an upscale area, did the RE tell him it was upscale?, People from that area? I think often people mistake an upscale subdivision for an upscale area.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:59 AM

443 posts, read 559,385 times
Quote:

Yep. It's kind of a letdown. Lots, LOTS of lower middle class, run down areas. What really saddens me is that most people here don't seem to have any pride in their surroundings whatsoever, and it shows. You have a lot of people here who don't want to change anything for the better. They think Tampa is "just fine." Very little progressive attitude here. I'll be leaving too as soon as I can.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:03 PM

4,483 posts, read 3,859,744 times
Buckeye, as you can see from the craigTnelson post, it's not an uncommon opinion. I welcome all opinions, and it's fine with me if people think Tampa sucks and then they leave. We don't need frustrated or miserable people driving our roads or standing in line at Publix.

The interesting thing is, there are far more people moving TO Tampa than OUT of Tampa. Go figure.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:07 PM

443 posts, read 559,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Buckeye, as you can see from the craigTnelson post, it's not an uncommon opinion. I welcome all opinions, and it's fine with me if people think Tampa sucks and then they leave. We don't need frustrated or miserable people driving our roads or standing in line at Publix.
It's not an uncommon belief at all, and it's certainly not a troll post.

I don't think Tampa "sucks," but it isn't all that. It isn't even a decent amount of "that" and never will be until the region can attract more white collar jobs and can adopt more of a 21st century mode of thought. The last thing this area needs is more strip malls, generic suburban development, or call centers. The core is rotten and needs to be redeveloped from the center on out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay