Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 08:54 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,100,993 times

Advertisements

So after researching for what seems like forever, we are meeting with an agent in the area tomorrow.

We haven't done a single thing beyond Zillow searching and driving around, so we don't really even know what we can afford at this point...although there is a home near us we have our eyes on.

Any last minute advice some of you want to give? I have a big trust issue with meeting with a stranger to allow them to assist in the biggest purchase I have ever made in my life.

Are we doing it backwards by meeting with an agent before getting pre-approved or going to mortgage lenders? Experience with RE agents that we should be looking out for?

All advice is appreciated!

We are looking in South Tampa are (where we currently live) if that helps any...thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 09:06 PM

515 posts, read 1,348,435 times
Make sure the agent knows exactly what you want and points you in the direction of places that meet your criteria. There are agents out there who will try to push their own brokerage's listings because their company makes more money if both the buyer's agent and seller's agent are from the same brokerage. Make sure that the agent shows you listings that reflect what you're looking for, not what they think you should want. If that's not the case then look for a new agent. Hopefully you were referred to this agent from someone you know and who will vouch for the job they do.

There's nothing wrong with meeting an agent without getting pre approved, but pre approved buyers are usually taken more seriously by everyone in the real estate process. If you don't have a lender in mind, I'm sure your agent will refer you to one.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:07 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
You can get preapproved by a bank and they will tell you what you can afford. I think it is around 33 percent of
your income, They also factor in insurance any HOA fees and all this needs to be documented, You also need a
good credit score.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:06 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
So after researching for what seems like forever, we are meeting with an agent in the area tomorrow.

We haven't done a single thing beyond Zillow searching and driving around, so we don't really even know what we can afford at this point...although there is a home near us we have our eyes on.

Any last minute advice some of you want to give? I have a big trust issue with meeting with a stranger to allow them to assist in the biggest purchase I have ever made in my life.

Are we doing it backwards by meeting with an agent before getting pre-approved or going to mortgage lenders? Experience with RE agents that we should be looking out for?

We are looking in South Tampa are (where we currently live) if that helps any...thanks!
You definitely should get a pre approval letter from a broker. South Tampa is very competitive and you have to be prepared to make an offer.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:04 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
If you are meeting with a good agent they will guide you through the process. If your gut feeling is telling this is not a good fit then meet with someone else.

This is an important time in your life and you want to build a good relationship with the agent so you can trust each other.

Good luck.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:47 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,204,742 times
Quote:

If you need a pre-approval from the bank to tell you what you can afford, you are not really prepared enough for house buying as you should. Just saying. And you are meeting a realtor without even know what range of house you are comfortable buying? Operative word is comfortable.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:13 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,100,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
If you need a pre-approval from the bank to tell you what you can afford, you are not really prepared enough for house buying as you should. Just saying. And you are meeting a realtor without even know what range of house you are comfortable buying? Operative word is comfortable.
I didn't mean we don't know what we can spend on housing each month- we know that. That doesn't mean the bank will loan that amount, either. Right now, I would say we could spend $1500 on a monthly payment and still have plenty to take care of bills, fun, and rainy day fund.

Remember, I also didn't claim that we are "prepared enough" for homebuying...we are pretty green to the whole process, thus why we are meeting with a realtor and I am asking some questions here. At this point, we know 5 "needs" in our home, where we want to live and what we have to spend. Have to start somewhere, right?

Old 06-04-2013, 08:28 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,924 times
You definitely need a pre-approval letter before making an offer. However, a good agent will not push you into a purchase right away. They should be willing to wait and work with you for an extended period of time. I see nothing wrong with meeting with an agent at this point.

Something I learned last time around was that you are under no obligation to go with any finance company recommended by your Realtor. We had a fabulous agent, but we were far less than pleased with the broker she recommended. We ended up finding someone else fairly close to the end.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:33 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
If you are meeting with a good agent they will guide you through the process. If your gut feeling is telling this is not a good fit then meet with someone else.
Good advice

While it's not legal, it's not uncommon for realtors to only show you homes where the realtor's offered the highest commission. Meaning there may be a home for sale that would be a perfect fit for you, but the realtor won't show it because it's offering a lower commission.
Use the available websites so that you know what's available.
Best of luck!

Old 06-04-2013, 08:55 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,204,742 times
Quote:
I didn't mean we don't know what we can spend on housing each month- we know that. That doesn't mean the bank will loan that amount, either. Right now, I would say we could spend $1500 on a monthly payment and still have plenty to take care of bills, fun, and rainy day fund.

Remember, I also didn't claim that we are "prepared enough" for homebuying...we are pretty green to the whole process, thus why we are meeting with a realtor and I am asking some questions here. At this point, we know 5 "needs" in our home, where we want to live and what we have to spend. Have to start somewhere, right?
If this is the case, you don't need pre approval. You are spending below your means for a house. I guess that's all I am saying.

Based on that number, given insurance, taxes and mortgage for the current interest rate, I would say you are looking at a house of 190K to 200K + your down payment. If 20% down, then you are looking at 235K to 250K house. The point I am trying to make is that YOU need to come up to the value of house that you want to buy not the realtor. The realtor just looks for the house for which you set the price on. My impression from your first post is that you don't even know what range of house (price wise) you can buy comfortably, hence, my comments.

Since you mentioned you have trust issue with realtors, ask your realtor a reference or two and talk to the people who he/she helped closed deal to have an idea.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: