Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 09:00 AM

4 posts, read 4,935 times

Advertisements

I keep reading conflicting reports/personal opinions/etc on areas to live around Tampa.

We are looking to move to the Tampa area, looking from St. Petersburg, to Land O' Lakes, to Brandon.

My husband will be most likely transferring with a Lowes and then switching to: TruGreen or Valley Crest landscaping companies. TruGreen is in the St. Petersburg area, Valley Crest being closer to Land O' Lakes and Brandon.

On top of needing an area close to TruGreen and Valley Crest, my step son's mom and I are both Medical Assistants and would be looking for medical assisting jobs obviously. Yes, my step son's mom will be moving with us, no, she will not be living in the same house lol. Which brings me to AFFORDABLE apartment housing for her. Under $800 for two bedrooms. She is single and on low income.

House wise, I need $160,000 and under so the area needs to be in that price range as well. 4+ bedroom area, not small houses, and we are bringing 3 kids and my mother! <--- Which means we need good schools as well, out of the "city" parts. Away from gang activity.

Recap: Cheap apartments near St. Petersburg with medical assisting jobs, low crime, safe schools OR same thing near Tampa/Brandon.

Is the commute to Tampa from Land O Lakes or Brandon far? Mapquest says "30 minutes in this traffic currently" but I keep reading that Brandon to Tampa is unbearable commute wise? And that Brandon is laden in gang activity!

I know this is A LOT to ask of people. I've spent a lot of time researching and I still can't find answers to the crime questions as well as commute... Thanks in advance.. and if there is already a thread pertaining to an area that has all the things I need near either, I welcome a link! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 09:15 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,759,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threelittlebirdies View Post
And that Brandon is laden in gang activity!
I've lived in Brandon for 3 years now, i have yet to see "gang" activity, that's just laughable!!!

Old 06-07-2013, 09:18 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
I just looked at houses for sale in Carrollwood, there are 4 bedroom homes that can be bought for $160k, although they're mostly older homes.

I grew up in Eastern Hillsborough and my parents both worked in Brandon. Brandon is an absolute nightmare now, I even avoid it when I return to visit. The traffic is terrible!

Old 06-07-2013, 09:20 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
I've lived in Brandon for 3 years now, i have yet to see "gang" activity, that's just laughable!!!
Florida's foreclosure disaster : The New Yorker

The writer refers to Valrico, saying it is overcrowded and beset with gangs.

I've had some friends that still live in the area that say that Valrico and Dover are full of gangs, although they're NOT Brandon, they're virtually next door to each other and I'd say that most visit Brandon over Plant City.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:17 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Carrolwood is good-there is a new Lowes right there of DaleMabry but again where you plan to work is another story.. when it is a lower priced home I think i would rent for a yr n then decide, Tampa is unique that you will have a nice mansion next to a chicken coop, only in new developments will you find the same cookie cutters homes. As far as true green etc, they are all over not sure they only come out of one hub.. Im trying to go P/T w Lowes in Oldsmar- I do like that area as it is in between ALL

Old 06-07-2013, 10:26 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,759,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post

I've had some friends that still live in the area that say that Valrico and Dover are full of gangs, although they're NOT Brandon, they're virtually next door to each other and I'd say that most visit Brandon over Plant City.
I wouldnt know, I dont go to Dover, and the places in Valrico I've been to have all been family neighborhood happy places.

I love though, how people say Brandon is laden with traffic. I find tampa (Dale Mabry and any other major street) much, much worse than brandon.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:47 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post

Wow. All I can say s that the author is totally clueless.

I have lived in the Valrico area since the mid 90s, and I can assure you that gangs are not an issue.

Are they here? Probably. Do they create problems or cause damage? Not that I have ever seen.

Another "well informed" report. Oy.

RM

Last edited by Sunscape; 06-08-2013 at 06:29 AM..

Old 06-07-2013, 10:57 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
Quote:
On top of needing an area close to TruGreen and Valley Crest, my step son's mom and I are both Medical Assistants and would be looking for medical assisting jobs obviously. Yes, my step son's mom will be moving with us, no, she will not be living in the same house lol. Which brings me to AFFORDABLE apartment housing for her. Under $800 for two bedrooms. She is single and on low income.

House wise, I need $160,000 and under so the area needs to be in that price range as well. 4+ bedroom area, not small houses, and we are bringing 3 kids and my mother! <--- Which means we need good schools as well, out of the "city" parts. Away from gang activity.

Recap: Cheap apartments near St. Petersburg with medical assisting jobs, low crime, safe schools OR same thing near Tampa/Brandon.

Is the commute to Tampa from Land O Lakes or Brandon far? Mapquest says "30 minutes in this traffic currently" but I keep reading that Brandon to Tampa is unbearable commute wise? And that Brandon is laden in gang activity!
You're not going to find a two bedroom apartments any of these areas for $800. The rental market is red hot around here, and as a result prices for a decent one bedroom are barely in that range.

Land 'O Lakes to Brandon would be a nightmare, even if you were traveling at off peak times. You're probably looking at a minimum 45 minute commute right there.

The commute from Brandon to Tampa is under 30 minutes depending on route, time and start/end locations. These are not minor details and can have a significant effect on the outcome. I commute to the immediate downtown from Valrico and my commute time is usually under 30 minutes.

Brandon is definitely a bit rougher than it was ten or fifteen years ago, but for the most part it's a safe and affordable area. The schools are good, not great, but you have to pick and choose, and of course the demographics are going to have a significant effect on it.

$160k is doable in Brandon and maybe even in parts of Valrico. You're just going to have to get down here and do your due diligence to figure this out. It's not going to happen getting information from here or elsewhere on the Internet.

RM

Old 06-07-2013, 11:17 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
Quote:

Cheap apartments equal bad areas. I know she must not be your best friend but still.

Let me explain something here:
Quote:
4+ bedroom area, not small houses, and we are bringing 3 kids and my mother!
UNLESS its a short sale, or a foreclosure you will not find a home for that price that is large, in good school areas etc. That sounds like a great dream, but it won't happen. 4 bedroom homes that are large start at over $200k. You should look at the square footage of the homes in Carrollwood that list 4 bedrooms for $160k. They are old, and not large by any means. They have 4 bedrooms packed in 1500sqf. That's cramped. Stay away from East Tampa if you don't want gang activity. Also stay away from various parts of Land O Lakes.

Its hard to say, you have to know where work is, so you won't end up with an hour or over commute.

Your home criteria doesn't fit your budget. If you want the good schools the budget has to go higher. Also, why buy? do you know the area? have you visited enough to know the areas? you should rent first before buying.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:32 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Id move near lettuce park.. nice size apts just way too far fro my job/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay