Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 06:32 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,914 times

Advertisements

About two years ago I was driving to work (Sarasota/Lakewood Ranch area)...and a wild pig/boar was running down the street-I seriously thought someone spiked my coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 06:39 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
I think we will be safe unless we have some here that are eating armadillo.
Have you seen Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern? I swear there was one episode with armadillo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Sunshine, are you concerned about having run-ins with critters when you get here to FLA?
Oh no no, not at all. I just know how different it will be and want to learn what I can about what's down there. I was a tomboy growing up, loved catching things, lol. I was known in my day for catching the biggest bullfrog at my campground! Anyway, I really enjoy seeing animals in their natural habitat and honestly, would love to volunteer for some sort of wildlife organization. The more I know, the better prepared I'll be. Hopefully...

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtnelson View Post

We have a large family of Moscovy ducks and turtles who live in the retention pond down the street. For several years, it's been the same crew. One of them has had 3 sets of ducklings in the past year. Some of the babies didn't make it, some left, some stayed. The neighborhood loves them to death and we take turns feeding them/watching out for them. It's funny to walk down there and see 50 turtle shells suddenly pop up out of the water and approach you.
That sounds so damn cute!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post

Watch for deer here too! They come out of nowhere...I had one pass (sorry I meant RUN) in front of my car at night maybe 4 inches....freaked me out! Never had this happen in Miami. Only here. I actually never knew deer live in FL until we moved to Tampa! Never saw one in Miami.
We have alot of deer up here as well. In fact driving home, there was a baby deer on the side of the road just standing there. Love when I see something like that but then I worried all the way home it would try to dart out to cross (3-lane highway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
My husband, and ten other people at a stop light, saw a hawk snatch a squirrel! they all went: WHOAAAA!
I saw the same thing. Even had my camera but the hawk was too fast. It was pretty cool though to see.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:39 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
About two years ago I was driving to work (Sarasota/Lakewood Ranch area)...and a wild pig/boar was running down the street-I seriously thought someone spiked my coffee.
You should see them after they get hit and tip over. They're huge. Saw two on the side of US 301 and they had to make a huge dent in the side/bumper of someone's car. They were getting to an epidemic level here two years ago digging up lawns.

Heres a picture of what the ones looked like that came into our subdivision 1-2 yrs ago - our HOA had to hire a trapper to get the outahere. (these weren't the actual ones - these are from Texas).

Old 07-16-2013, 12:55 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,079,489 times
wild pigs on roadside by sunshine skyway
raccoons live in the garden next door - watched one climbing in the oak tree with a rat in its mouth yesterday
pregnant possum yesterday morning -c learly yesterday was my nature watch day!
coyote trying to snatch neighbors chihuahua from her arms
bear on us 19 in homassassa area
best of all Florida panther, near pasco county line on East Lake Rd north of Lansbrook - ran straight across all lanes about middle of the day - open jaw moment for me and passengers - hope it survives that road.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:08 PM

thanks for sharing Lavendar! those are the kind of moments that you can really appreciate for sure.

I love going to beaches off the beaten path that have a protected area for birds, etc.. it is incredible to watch them. They have nothing to fear because there's usually not a lot of people they're exposed to.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:14 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Never saw him/her, but we had this guy/girl roaming around the Bay Area a couple of years ago. Became a legendary figure around here......

Mystery Monkey roams treetops of Tampa Bay eluding capture | Tampabay.com - St. Petersburg Times

Old 07-16-2013, 01:18 PM

322 posts, read 584,759 times
My cousin, who lives in Naples, had an alligator that crawled into his backyard. We were high off some herb, so we thought we were hallucinating but when we came back down, it was still there. Luckily, my cousin had some raw turkey and he lived behind a canal, so we baited it with the meat into the canal and threw the meat in. We then ran for our lives.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Never saw him/her, but we had this guy/girl roaming around the Bay Area a couple of years ago. Became a legendary figure around here......

Mystery Monkey roams treetops of Tampa Bay eluding capture | Tampabay.com - St. Petersburg Times
That is hilarious! And looking at all the captions of other articles written are just as funny. Like "monkey on the lam" and "inside the mind of the Pinellas monke"

Old 07-16-2013, 02:07 PM

184 posts, read 328,603 times
A few weeks ago while still in NC i had a 4 foot racer snake that climbed my siding and was curled around the shutter on my front porch next to the front door. Racers arent poisonous thankfully but sure did startle the heck outta me.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:48 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,225,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post
Oh my.......Vaughanwilliams, I am SO sorry this happened!!

I hope you don't think I created this thread to hear people's horror stories because that is not something I relish in hearing but I do appreciate you sharing and please know my heart goes out to you for experiencing something like that, no matter how recent or how long ago.

It happened in'74 but I remember it like it was yesterday.

Speaking of snakes, I caught one of these by sticking my arm into a hole he was hiding in (I was really fearless/dumb in my youth);

Eastern indigo snake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Beautiful animal and I let him go immediately, but if I'd known they were a protected species, I wouldn't have messed with him at all. I came across another one the same day, but I've never seen one in the wild since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay