Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 10:46 AM

3 posts, read 2,630 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Florida from Pennsylvania sometime within the next year or two. I need some help finding a good neighborhood that will suit my needs. I've been looking at the Tampa area mostly and I need some advice.

What I want in the location:

A low crime area - I do not want to get robbed or mugged everytime I leave my house, nor do I want to see drug dealers and hookers at the end of my street.
A nice neighborhood - I will have about 200k to spend on a house
Within 15 minutes from shops/restaurants (the closer, the better!)
Within 45 minutes from a beach (the closer, the better!)

Cheaper home insurance. I've read that the closer you live to the shore, the more expensive the insurance. I realize this comes with moving to Florida, but if it is a lot cheaper in an area closer inward then I will also consider that.

What I don't need or want:

A good school - I won't ever be having kids so I am not concerned about this
Lots of job opportunities - I work from home so this does not matter.

I have never lived in a subdivision or deed restricted community, but I heard that places like Westchase and Temple Terrace are good places to live. If someone could convince me that living in a place like this would be worth it, then I will definitly consider it, but I don't really like the sound of it from what I've read.

Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 10:49 AM

4 posts, read 10,603 times
I lived in Westchase (area north of the airport, about 10 minutes) and loved it. I am not sure about the home prices now, but it was really nice. Tampa tends to call areas by subdivision name so although may mailing address was Tampa, my area was called Westchase. Carrollwood was nice too.
Good luck!

Old 09-25-2013, 10:57 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Both home and auto insurance will be significantly more expensive than PA. Be prepared.

RM

Old 09-25-2013, 11:13 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Both home and auto insurance will be significantly more expensive than PA. Be prepared.

RM
Big time, especially the homeowners. I moved from PA last year and am still shaking my head at the numbers. But, it is what it is, as they say. Its a relatively small negative, compared to the positives for me at least.

To the OP, it sounds like you can live anywhere you like. I was in a similar situation. Best advice is to come down, look at alot of houses across different areas and see what you like.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:21 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,477 times
Yes, they get us on Insurance here!

There are a lot of areas that match what you are looking for, price wise - if you are sticking to 200K and below that may be more of a challenge.

Northern Odessa, Northern Lutz, Land O Lakes, Wesley Chapel (maybe 45 mins to an hour to the beach from here), are a few locations that meet what you are looking for. These are all pretty much Pasco County. For areas further South and you have to be selective to remain in your distance window for shopping and the beach is Riverview and Apollo Beach.

That should give you some starting places to look.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:56 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,695,641 times
The floor of your house should be 36 inches higher than the top of the street. The area should be deed restricted. The location should protect your investment. Location.Location. Location. Check the area for sinkholes history. A must. Hire an independent house inspector not connected with the bank or real estate to inspect the property. Title insurance, etc. Be aware that homes in Florida are often built with the blessings of the local county inspectors in areas that are not safe for homes due to flooding issues and other issues. Dade county approved windows and doors and basic solid construction guidelines should be evident. A lot of junk in Florida.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:13 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
A lot of junk in Florida.
Are you implying that 'a lot of junk' does not exist elsewhere? Name a state..

Old 09-25-2013, 01:28 PM

[quote=mortpes;31551920]The floor of your house should be 36 inches higher than the top of the street. The area should be deed restricted. The location should protect your investment. Location.Location. Location. Check the area for sinkholes history. A must. Hire an independent house inspector not connected with the bank or real estate to inspect the property. Title insurance, etc. Be aware that homes in Florida are often built with the blessings of the local county inspectors in areas that are not safe for homes due to flooding issues and other issues. Dade county approved windows and doors and basic solid construction guidelines should be evident. A lot of junk in Florida.[/QUOTE

You do realize we are NOT Dade County correct?

I would disagree with your comments about where homes are built with the blessings of the local county inspector.

If the OP does the homework he/she will know if it has already had flooding issues.

The Buyers always hires an independent inspector (unless new ... but still has that option).

I think you are all spun up over some things that are common occurrence in a Real Estate Transaction.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:20 PM

3 posts, read 2,630 times
Thank you everyone! I realize location is the most important part of a home. That is why I'm doing my research before I even look at the houses available.

Thanks gulfer, for the suggestions. I will check those places out.

Thanks mortpes, for bringing up the sinkhole and flooding issues. The one thing I was worried about was hurricanes. So much that I completely forgot about those issues when doing research.

I am still wondering if it would be worth it to move somewhere in the middle of Florida. I'd be further from beaches, but if insurance costs are significantly lower, would it be worth it?

Also, if anyone has suggestions on places to stay far away from, please let me know! So far I've read to stay away from anywhere near downtown Tampa and pretty much anything south of Clearwater.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:41 PM

For Flood Zones, you are either in it or you are not. You can live less than 10 miles from the Coast and not be in a Flood Zone.

No cents moving to Orlando (unless that is what you want to do) to save on Insurance. You can get the same rate here in the Tampa area as long as you do your research.

It is HOT here during the Summer months, but it is HOTTER in Orlando during the same periods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay