Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 07:17 AM

184 posts, read 328,726 times

Advertisements

A lot of people ask how the job market is here. Much depends on the job field you are in but Id like to share my experience. I was a 911 dispatcher in NC for about 10 years. We relocated to Tampa for my husbands job (fire inspector). I was told over and over to expect 4-6 months to find a job due to the market. I was looking to transfer out of 911. I took job hunting on as if it was my full time job. I worked endlessly on taking any and all skills I had and putting them in my resume in a way that would target many different job markets. After 17 interviews over a month and I half I start work at my new job on Monday. I don't have a degree, and my skills where very specific to 911 dispatching. The key was applying to everything even if I thought it was out of my reach. It worked and I am now starting my new career with a great company. So to all those looking for jobs in Tampa determination and not giving up are the key!!!! Market yourself...it will turn up something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 07:29 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,823,938 times
Hey congratulations!!!

The message in your post is loud and clear - it takes WORK to job hunt, it's not going to just fall in your lap (for most of us anyway). I commend you for your dedication and creativity and I'm betting that's what your new company saw in you.

It's true there are some companies who want an easy transition and look for your resume to be a near match for their opening. But there are also plenty of companies out there who look for that one key skill as they realize it's the quality of the person they are hiring that counts in a big way.

Anyway, good for you, and congratulations again!

Old 09-13-2013, 07:59 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,464,436 times
GREAT POST!!

Please inform everyone that it is not a MINIMUM WAGE JOB!! (I sure hope it isn't anyway)

CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU!!

Old 09-13-2013, 08:24 AM

440 posts, read 596,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaybri73 View Post
A lot of people ask how the job market is here. Much depends on the job field you are in but Id like to share my experience. I was a 911 dispatcher in NC for about 10 years. We relocated to Tampa for my husbands job (fire inspector). I was told over and over to expect 4-6 months to find a job due to the market. I was looking to transfer out of 911. I took job hunting on as if it was my full time job. I worked endlessly on taking any and all skills I had and putting them in my resume in a way that would target many different job markets. After 17 interviews over a month and I half I start work at my new job on Monday. I don't have a degree, and my skills where very specific to 911 dispatching. The key was applying to everything even if I thought it was out of my reach. It worked and I am now starting my new career with a great company. So to all those looking for jobs in Tampa determination and not giving up are the key!!!! Market yourself...it will turn up something
Its definately not easy, and quite overwhelming especially when you live out of state trying to apply there! But its also all about networking which i've been doing alot of now with people that are down there, trying to get my name out there and inquiring about any open positions. Its funny, soon as i updated my resume on careerbuilder i'm getting multiple calls a day from recruiters here in Cleveland that have multiple openings for my experience and skillsets, but I still answer them and let them know i'm actually looking to relocate to Tampa, so they forward my resume and information to their Tampa offices instead. I'm just wondering if i were to change my address to a Tampa address if i would get just as many calls for positions down there instead? I'll wait it out a couple months and see if i get any hits and make changes as needed.
But good to hear you found a job down there so quickly! One of my buddies just moved down there with no job thinking he wasn't going to find anything for a few months either, low and behold within a month he got hired making even more money he did up here. Its all about how motivated and determined you are to make yourself successful, and like you said if you market yourself and try hard enough then the right opportunity will present itself. I'm just hoping that is going to be the case for me, sooner than later!

Old 09-13-2013, 08:36 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone claims there are not jobs here. There just aren't many good jobs and they tend to pay less than other areas.

Does your new job pay as well as your dispatcher job? What industry are you in now?

BTW, congratulations.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:26 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
Congrats! Seems to be working out for a lot of people lately.

What part of NC did you move from. We lived in NC for a while also.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:54 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
There are a few here who repeatedly state:

"there are no jobs"

"the jobs in Florida are low paying"

"jobs pay less here".

"there are no (or few) good jobs"

"all the jobs are minimum wage"

I wish someone would explain to me why other folks (besides the posters of the above referenced quote) seem to come and find jobs that are suitable to them in a very short time. Is it the problem of the people who post this non-sense or is reality?

It seems it is not the reality of the situation at all yet those folks have and will continue to post the same old mantras.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:57 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
There are a few here who repeatedly state:

"there are no jobs"

"the jobs in Florida are low paying"

"jobs pay less here".

"there are no (or few) good jobs"

"all the jobs are minimum wage"

I wish someone would explain to me why other folks (besides the posters of the above referenced quote) seem to come and find jobs that are suitable to them in a very short time. Is it the problem of the people who post this non-sense or is reality?

It seems it is not the reality of the situation at all yet those folks have and will continue to post the same old mantras.
Easier to blame the system or others, rather than oneself. I have no doubt that there are better locations in the country for employment for some, but I also have no doubt that it is not as bad here as some think.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:23 AM

Yes, my thinking as well. Careerbuilder seems to always have around 2,000 jobs listed on any given day. I don't see any that do not require a background in the field (experience).

Maybe a lot of these folks who can't find a job to suit their needs have no skills at all or are in very niche areas of employment where jobs don't come up often.

I know there are a whole lot of marginal people who are constantly beat out for available jobs in their field due to their lack of ability and qualifications and may be very frustrated about it.

I would just like to know what the folks who find the employment situation in Tampa bleak are expecting and not the usual "I want a good job" reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Easier to blame the system or others, rather than oneself. I have no doubt that there are better locations in the country for employment for some, but I also have no doubt that it is not as bad here as some think.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:25 AM

Congratulations and best wishes to you on your new job.

A job seeker is offering a product. Themselves. You are correct. It's about marketing yourself.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay